Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Ford 351 GT to make a comeback

Cann't see it posted..

" The last Ford Falcon GT will have some of the tweaks that came with the FPV R-Spec released in 2012.

It's not quite a Ford GT-HO but it's as close as we're going to get.

"FORD is poised to revive the famous 351 nameplate for the final edition of the iconic GT Falcon -- a move that will finally end all hopes and secret plans for a modern-day version of the GT-HO.

Rather than describing the cubic capacity of the V8 engine of the iconic 1970 model -- at the time the fastest sedan in the world -- the 351 numbers this time around refer to the upgraded power output of the Falcon GT’s supercharged V8.

Ford is understood to have given the Falcon GT a tune-up from 335kW to 351kW as part of a limited edition model due to be unveiled mid-year. The batch of 500 cars -- in at least four colour combinations -- will be the last Falcon GTs ever made as Ford has confirmed it is retiring the badge before the facelifted sedan goes on sale by September.

Once the 351kW Falcon GT goes, the 335kW Ford XR8 will continue from September 2014 until the rest of the Falcon range reaches the end of the line no later than October 2016. Ford is understood to have completely re-engineered the Falcon GT since the closure of Ford Performance Vehicles division at the end of 2012.

Insiders say it has retuned the engine and the suspension to match the “staggered” wheel and tyre combination (as with the limited edition R-Spec released in 2012 and all HSVs since 2006, the rear tyres of the new GT will be wider than the front for better traction).

Carsguide has also been told there were secret plans to make the power output for the last-ever Falcon GT significantly higher than the 351kW high note it will finish on.

Confidential sources claim that the now defunct Ford Performance Vehicles had extracted 430kW of power from the supercharged V8 while it was in development, but those plans were vetoed by Ford because of concerns about reliability -- and the ability of the Falcon’s chassis, gearbox, driveshaft and differential to handle so much grunt.

“We were at 430kW long before anyone knew HSV was going to have 430kW on the new GTS,” said an insider. “But in the end, Ford put the brakes on it. We could get the power easy enough, but they reckoned it didn’t make financial sense to make all the changes to the rest of the car to handle it.”

As it stands today the Falcon GT briefly gets up to 375kW in an “overboost” mode which lasts up to 20 seconds, but Ford is not allowed to claim this figure, according to international testing guidelines.

The new limited edition GT with a retuned 351kW supercharged V8 and wider rear tyres is understood to accelerate quicker than the old model, and is said to be smoother off the line. The original supercharged Falcon GT’s acceleration was blunted because it could not get enough grip from the rear tyres.

A rather rudimentary traction control system -- which cuts engine power -- made the GT Falcon less than elegant off the line, spluttering as it struggled to find traction. “The new one is a revelation,” says an insider. “It’s definitely ending on a high note. It’s just a shame the GT didn’t get to this point earlier.”

Price is yet to be determined and even the top echelon of Ford dealers are yet to receive the full details on the car, but insiders say it will be close to $90,000 on the road. Ford dealers have already begun taking orders.

One dealer who wished to remain anonymous told Carsguide: “Ford has absolutely under-called this. They have not built enough cars. If the 500 Cobra GT limited edition Falcon sedans sold out in 48 hours a few years back, you can imagine how quickly the last ever GT is going to sell out.”"
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...82936_20140402

Last edited by csv8; 03-05-2014 at 04:07 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
66 STANG

Default Re: Ford 351 GT to make a comeback

Sounds Awesome........sign me up......!!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
stevesxr

I'm usually blind, but even I saw this
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11415737
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesxr View Post
I'm usually blind, but even I saw this
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11415737
I didn't see it on the FPV or Pub page...sorry !!!! my post story is dated 03/04/2014....
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

90k is a bit much, would want to come with GTP seats and brakes
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Sorry boys but it sounds like a compromise to me.

“We were at 430kW long before anyone knew HSV was going to have 430kW on the new GTS,” said an insider. “But in the end, Ford put the brakes on it. We could get the power easy enough, but they reckoned it didn’t make financial sense to make all the changes to the rest of the car to handle it.”

We could have done this and that but didn't. Lets not make it another sticker special.

I hope i am wrong because I want to get back into a Falcon GT especially the last one 302 or not.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
strik9
aka fpv747

yep in sux ford did,nt invest to get there 430kw beast, but it may have been a smart move. they may have had to close the doors earlier than they did.

for the fact hsv have the gts sitting around considering they were all suppost to be pre sold.lol
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

When the Bosch boys were calibrating the DSC for the Miami engined FPVs, there were three versions of the engine. Two very similar in output and one which "went like stink". The one which went like stink was never released as the drivetrain couldn't handle the power.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much are those puppies going to be worth in 20-30-40 years time!!

Sounds great, nice to see Ford sending the GT badge off in style..
Old 05-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

I would love to own one of these. Last ever Gt falcon made in Australia. Good to see they are giving it a tickle as well.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Trump
bitch lasagne

I wonder if the 351kW figure is flywheel or at the bags...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Old 05-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
How much are those puppies going to be worth in 20-30-40 years time!!

Sounds great, nice to see Ford sending the GT badge off in style..
For those that can afford one, how many won't be around to see what they're worth in 30 or 40 years time ?...and how will its value stack up against a GTS seeing as they're the ones that were funded well enough to go the whole nine yards in the development journey ?
With my recent change I've ruled out one of these puppies but an "investment", (if any car can ever really be considered an investment) in one of the last HSV GTS's isn't out of the question, especially seeing as they'll be in production long after FPV. Failing that I reckon one of the last turbo six FH's will hold its value really well.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
BHDOGS
Banned

Good to hear as for the gts are people still talking about that old news nobody cares anymore.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
For those that can afford one, how many won't be around to see what they're worth in 30 or 40 years time ?...and how will its value stack up against a GTS seeing as they're the ones that were funded well enough to go the whole nine yards in the development journey ?
With my recent change I've ruled out one of these puppies but an "investment", (if any car can ever really be considered an investment) in one of the last HSV GTS's isn't out of the question, especially seeing as they'll be in production long after FPV. Failing that I reckon one of the last turbo six FH's will hold its value really well.
I agree the last turbo six's will hold their value pretty well having the only true aussie performance engine in a local made car and their serious bang for buck performance. Im seriously considering buying one depending on how they look.

The current GTS's will probably hold their value well to due to its specs / performance compared to the other HSV's and FPV's
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Good to hear as for the gts are people still talking about that old news nobody cares anymore.
The gts is overrated. Yet if the limited edition 351GT was to be faster then the gts, the falcon would still be bagged out. Just like the R-SPEC did
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
90k is a bit much, would want to come with GTP seats and brakes
I betcha 90k wont be too much to all 500 people that buy them.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
I betcha 90k wont be too much to all 500 people that buy them.
I think it depends on the specs. If it comes will all the fruit like the R Spec suspension, staggered wheels, GTP seats / breaks and slightly more power than its probably worth it if not I think its overpriced
Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

LOL IT'S ALREADY 375KW . who puts thier foot down for more than 20 seconds . LOL

HAHAHA . WILL BE A STICKER SPECIAL WITH R'SPEC GOODIES .
4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

90k for what will essentially be a sticker pack? Blind faith.
And people criticised HSV for the 90k GTS.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least Holden are going out in style with their 430kw unit.
Sadly, Ford are going out with their tail between their legs.
The "GT" 351 will probably not even come with the big brake package just as the RSPEC came out.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Ease up there turbo, that's a big call from one of the dutch rudder gang that stood around a Kia with GT badge
Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #22
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it is just basically a sticker pack with R Spec parts 90k is way too much money considering you can get the VF GTS for around the same $. For 90k it needs to have all the R Spec bits with the GTP interior and brakes minimum imo
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #23
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
LOL IT'S ALREADY 375KW . who puts thier foot down for more than 20 seconds . LOL

HAHAHA . WILL BE A STICKER SPECIAL WITH R'SPEC GOODIES .
Which raises the question: if it makes 16 more KW overall, won't it then make 391kW on over-boost, making it betterer?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Its not worth $90k if you can buy a GTS for $92k. I know which one I would trade the Rspec on. $80k is about all they could charge in terms of value.
Performance in a straight line is even between the 2 cars and dyno around the same but the FG is a 6yr old car essentially and the GTS is far superior when you add some corners. With the GTS you get a new model, new tech, bigger brakes, a purpose built driveline, better diff and your car is not going to be a generation behind 3 months after you buy it.
The GTS may be overated but if FPV are lining up next to it with a price tag that is just about the same then you have to consider the value and what your dollar is actually buying.
Is this car going to really be worth $25k more than a standard GT, lol really?

There is no reason Ford could not have given us this car 2 yrs ago other than penny pinching and now we are expected to lap it up because its the last one? I will believe that when I see it. GS 302 owners were told their cars were limited edition, then they gave us a GS 315. Black Edition owners where told their cars were limited edition but didn't get the front bar or wheels that were shown as "The Black Edition". Rspecs are also supposed to be limited, but yet we now have another FG with all the same gear, thanks Ford.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

5 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #25
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Which raises the question: if it makes 16 more KW overall, won't it then make 391kW on over-boost, making it betterer?

No, because there's no indication where the extra power is coming from. If they're running more boost permanently, there'd also no indication this "overboost" will also run more.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #26
terence moy
Terence Moy ( Ted )

Hi Guys.
I cound't care a hoot how much power HSV claimes to be puting out as I just took delivery of my brand new GTP back on the 18th February 2014 Plated and it goes like a scalded cat and unlimited power on immediate tap for the roads we have here in this country.And what a pleasurable thing it is to drive.
If you don't go Ford you go Backward.
8 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #27
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Can anyone confirm or deny that there was a limitation of power increase due to this firewall to floor issue?
If it does exist, did Ford have enough in the budget to rectify it before increasing power?
The Rspec was code named Panther and at the same time another car was in its engineering stage codenamed Tempest. This was the balls out coyote car got canned because the extra work needed to make the car reliable. Neither Ford nor Prodrive wanted to take full responsibility of the extra money needing to be spent. The firewall was one area that needed some extra as it could was showing signs of stress due to the extra torque. I believe there was also crash testing that need to be done which is extremely expensive and again nobody wanted to put their hand in their pocket. It was all about the same time Prodrive pulled out so Tempest was shelved. HSV only had the LS3 at the time and had not played their hand with the LSA motor. The intercooled engine was fine, members here have seen it, it was just the rest of the car.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

whoever buys this car . will be buying essentially an R'SPEC GT WITH A 351 STICKER BADGE . IT may have some engine tweeks no doubt . but more imporatantly it will have all the r'spec gear . 351kws ( badged accordingly ) and be the last GT , AND THATS A GOOD THING . 90K IS NOT OVER PRICED AT ALL IN MY OPINION .
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #29
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Bring it on.
There is no 4 door sedan that weighs 2 tonne that will handle with finesse.
These things are built for straight line speed - end of story. You can whack a set of wider wheels and tyres and stiffen the suspension which will clean it up a bit but the engine is always going to overpower anything they throw at the chassis. Lipstick on a pig basically. GT or GTS.

The engine is capable of 430 kW - has been for a while and many have tuned them to this level and have proven the engineering and longevity. Hardly any of these new limited 500 will end up as track cars , so end of the day , they will be the ultimate factory street brawler with a nostalgic 351 badge to suit. If they tidy up the front bumper a bit and give it some extra herbs inside and out , it will be a great way to say goodbye to the GT badge. Sticker pack... Lol. Say those on the sidelines who have never driven even a current one , who can't afford and will never buy a new one.
6 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #30
BHDOGS
Banned

Lol thread about final gt ford now every cry baby upset there old gts is being upstaged buy one for 92 grand there only that price because nobody wants to buy them
Closed Thread