Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Default Cycling road rules in SA....

I was out on a country road today single lanes each way....and came up behind a nice old Mustang out for a cruise. Sat behind him for a while just loving the view but he was sitting about 15 under the limit so eventually did a gradual SLOW pass, clear road. Anyway....there was a cyclist on the other side of the road just outside the line riding along, that i saw, was aware of, and hence kept it nice and measured and kept a very good distance from both the Stang and the cyclist.

Bear in mid I'm a cyclist too...and its not a road I'd choose to ride on. But if i was i'd just ride carefully on the verge and provided i was treated with respect it's all good. Now my relationship to the cyclist was likely better than a vehicle coming up behind him even, he has a clear view of me and I was very conscious of leaving him space.

This guy (older fellow maybe 45-55?) starts waving his arms like I'd committed some cardinal sin. I nearly went back to see what his issue is, but he may have thought i was being aggressive when really I just had no idea why he was gesticulating. Of course maybe he had a flat and wanted me to chuck the bike in the tray and I'm reading too much into it.

Is there some rule that I'm not supposed to do that? Simple question....happy to be corrected if I was in the wrong. If there is no rule I'm aware that's not clean cut if I should've or not and I'm always happy to respect a cyclist, but it was a perfectly safe pass and i could see no issue.

If anyone knows for sure one way or the other?

Old 30-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cycling road rules in SA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I was out on a country road today single lanes each way....and came up behind a nice old Mustang out for a cruise. Sat behind him for a while just loving the view but he was sitting about 15 under the limit so eventually did a gradual SLOW pass, clear road. Anyway....there was a cyclist on the other side of the road just outside the line riding along, that i saw, was aware of, and hence kept it nice and measured and kept a very good distance from both the Stang and the cyclist.

Bear in mid I'm a cyclist too...and its not a road I'd choose to ride on. But if i was i'd just ride carefully on the verge and provided i was treated with respect it's all good. Now my relationship to the cyclist was likely better than a vehicle coming up behind him even, he has a clear view of me and I was very conscious of leaving him space.

This guy (older fellow maybe 45-55?) starts waving his arms like I'd committed some cardinal sin. I nearly went back to see what his issue is, but he may have thought i was being aggressive when really I just had no idea why he was gesticulating. Of course maybe he had a flat and wanted me to chuck the bike in the tray and I'm reading too much into it.

Is there some rule that I'm not supposed to do that? Simple question....happy to be corrected if I was in the wrong. If there is no rule I'm aware that's not clean cut if I should've or not and I'm always happy to respect a cyclist, but it was a perfectly safe pass and i could see no issue.

It depends on the positioning of his bike. If he was on the shoulder as you suggest, there is no issue as there were no vehicles in the lane you were overtaking in. He may have felt his bike was in the lane, and you should have given way to him and passed after!

Personally, i wouldn't have risked it, as cyclists are unpredicatable (specifically with moving out of their lane without looking), and i wouldn't put myself in a position to hit a cyclists like that!
Old 30-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

I would have waited until the bike has passed before overtaking, you might have nearly sucked him off the road. lol
Old 30-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always carry heavy throw able objects within easy reach in my car for moments and people like this

he may have wanted that heavy throw able object
6 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Here we go again.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe the cyclist thought he was in queensland for a second????
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post

Would you have overtaken if there was a motorbike on the other side of the road too? It is a bit hairy when car is coming towards you on the wrong side of the road and you are riding a bicycle . He could of tried to avoid a pothole or glass and turn into his lane a bit more which would of resulted in disaster.
Cyclist is a road user and you could of waited another 10sec perhaps ?
Rule is a common sense and respect which is unfortunately lacking - that is pretty obvious reading a previous cyclist thread.
I currently own number of cars and ride both mountain and road bikes - don't really enjoy riding on the road any more because of inconsiderate people who think their theories about who roads belong to are totally right and fair.
I drive a lot and ride a fair bit and there are idiots on both side of the fence. Reality is that cyclists are getting hurt by motorists and not the other way around. Let's hope common sense prevails...

Last edited by SumoDog68; 30-03-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 30-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Nova 8

I'm not a fan of cyclists, I would have waited.

Cyclists are classed as vehicles and you cannot overtake when there is an on coming vehicle. Half the problem is neither side knows the laws correctly.

Last edited by Nova 8; 30-03-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 30-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Nova 8

Definition of a vehicle by the Road Traffic Act:

vehicle includes—

(a) a motor vehicle, trailer and a tram; and

(b) a bicycle; and

(c) an animal-drawn vehicle, and an animal that is being ridden or drawing a vehicle; and

(d) a combination; and

(e) a motorised wheelchair that can travel at over 10 kilometres per hour (on level ground)

http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/...1961.50.UN.PDF
Old 30-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I guess it all just comes down to courtesy really. I was stuck behind a bus for ages climbing out of Marysville this afternoon, finally an overtaking opportunity presented itself, but there was a cyclist climbing up the other side just off the shoulder, I chose not to overtake the bus and spend another few minutes stuck behind it. I just thought it the wiser option.
Old 30-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
I'm not a fan of cyclists, I would have waited.

Cyclists are classed as vehicles and you cannot overtake when there is an on coming vehicle. Half the problem is neither side knows the laws correctly.
Except the cyclist wasn't on the road (According to the story)
Old 30-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
To me it sounds like the cyclist was on the bit of road between the line and the shoulder, keep as left as possible to allow cars to pass, this is still the road. If he was on the gravel then he is not a road user and overtaking is fine.
Old 30-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Make your mind up, reread your 1st post
Quote:
and you should have given way to him and passed after!
Old 30-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Make your mind up, reread your 1st post
You should read the post, it was a hypothetical that the cyclist may have 'felt' his bike was 'in' the lane. However it may not have been. Without a picture of where each vehicle was, no-one can make a definite answer about who was in the wrong!

I just said i wouldn't have overtaken either way, as cyclists do stupid things like irrational lane changes
Old 30-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Don't mean to stir any pots Just asking a genuine question

He was riding between the line and the edge of the bitumen, there was absolutely no threat to him wind or otherwise, but yes I'd concur I'd likely wait next time just for courtesy's sake.

Thanks for all your input appreciated.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
He could of tried to avoid a pothole or glass and turn into his lane a bit more which would of resulted in disaster.
Is that really in the best interest of the cyclist to swerve around pot hole or glass into a traffic lane without looking, which contains vehicles going 4 times quicker than him ?

At least he could see vehicles coming towards him.

I once saw a cyclist swerve from the shoulder into the regular lane in front of a car doing 60.
Brakes were tested and teh cyclists is lucky he wasn't killed.
The guy driving my car who is a hardcore cyclist said "I would of signaled first" to which I replied "Well I would of looked, just like if I was in a car"

He didn't say anything else about it.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
Nova 8

Which road was it? Thiele Hwy or Roseworthy side of Main North Road pop to mind since you are from Hewett, both these roads are terrible, I wouldn't ride on them as a cyclist.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Is that really in the best interest of the cyclist to swerve around pot hole or glass into a traffic lane without looking, which contains vehicles going 4 times quicker than him ?
you would think if the cyclist was going to swerve for a pothole he would swerve to the left??
Old 30-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
"I would of signaled first" to which I replied "Well I would of looked, just like if I was in a car"
Cyclists, like all road users, are required to both look and signal when changing lanes. Cyclists aren't required to signal when turning left or braking but it is advised as a form of courteousness. I personally have never seen a cyclists signal and when I was young (<16yo) never signalled either.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I don't think there is a right answer here. I'd honestly say it's NOT a road I'd ride myself and I should have taken that into account and waited in retrospect. Angle Vale Road b/w Angle Vale and Evanston when its still 90 before it goes to 80. Not a cyclist friendly road.
Old 30-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
Nova 8

All the country roads round Gawler are pretty bad, at least Angle Vale Road doesn't have massive rolling bumps like Thiele Hwy. So many farmer trucks cruising around there which aren't roadworthy and wander all over the road, a lot of cars are no better. If I was to ride into Gawler from that direction I would have taken the new bike lane along the Northern Expressway.