Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Most common driving offences of 2014 NSW

Interesting reading...

The most common driving offences of 2014

December 23, 2014

Sam Hall
Motoring Writer

Speeding fines remain steady as the mobile phone message finally sinks in.

Speeding was the most frequent road offence in NSW in 2014, provisional figures show.

The state's motorists paid a hefty $132 million in speeding fines for the first 10 months of 2014, provisional data shows, with speeding under 10km/h the most frequent offence. A total 258,081 fines were issued for motorists caught travelling 10km/h or under above the posted speed limited.

A total 229,423 fines were issued for speeding over 10km/h, 43,462 for speeding over 20km/h, 9303 for speeding over 30km/h and 2013 for speeding over 45km/h.

Those figures sit consistently with the same Office of State Revenue numbers from 2010 through to 2013.

The latest statistics show the message about mobile phone use in the car may be starting to take effect. A total 27,957 fines were issued between January and October this year – representing a steady decline since 2010, when figures exceeded 40,000 offences for the corresponding period.

The same can't be said for the proper seatbelt use, with figures showing 2014 has been another persistent year. Despite a strong seatbelt message, 16,870 fines were issued from January to October – mirroring the same number of annual offences during the past three years.

The corresponding provisional figures for alcohol and drug offences in the car aren't yet available for NSW.

A report compiled by NSW Centre for Road Safety last year showed that speed remains the biggest contributor to road fatalities (including under speeding and speed appropriate to the conditions). Speeding was considered to be a factor in the deaths of 818 people on NSW roads between 2008 and 2012. During the same period, fatigue contributed to 331 NSW road fatalities, alcohol was cited as a cause in 372 fatalities and improper seatbelt use was deemed a factor in 215 fatalities.

Double demerits points are in force in NSW from 12.01am on December 24 to 11.59pm on January 4.

NSW speeding fines: Police issued –

Total revenue Jan-Oct: $55,480,460

0-10km/h: 23,534 fines issued - $2,870,021

Over 10km/h: 107,745 - $27,644,328

Over 20km/h: 34,318 - $14,876,677

Over 30km/h: 7739 - $6,418,579

Over 45km/h: 1654 – $3,670,855

NSW speeding fines: Camera issued –

Total revenue Jan-Oct: $76,449,150

0-10km/h: 234,547 fines issued - $32,566,501

Over 10km/h: 121,678 - $36,502,742

Over 20km/h: 9144 - $4,652,369

Over 30km/h: 1564 - $1,601,191

Over 45km/h: 359 - $1,126,347

Red light camera fines Jan-Oct – 130,739

Mobile phone offences Jan-Oct – 27,957

Seat belt offences Jan-Oct – 16,870

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...23-12czq4.html

This user likes this post:
Old 26-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Most common driving offences of 2014 NSW

$76,449,150. Well someone is kicking back on a yacht in the Caribbean with 20 of the hottest chicks on the planet.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

all this means is that speeding is the easiest offence to catch and as long as it is easy it will look good on everyone's metrics and raise revenue, without doing a single thing to improve overall road safety
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cameras outweigh cop-issued fines 10:1 in the 0-10km/h category.
Just backs up their reliance on cameras for revenue, not the true deterrent policing.

Last edited by commodorenutt; 26-12-2014 at 01:25 PM.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
cram_it_frog
wombat

I think the closest red light camera from me is 500k and I hope it stays that way.

I was returning from Mildura the other day I was sitting on 110 k and was over taken by a girl on a red P plates just as we got to the last 20ks there is a hill

most of the trip is long flat road

any way the girl came over the hill and she would have had kittens in front of her was 2 police cars and ambulance on the road

she must have thought she was done but she was lucky it was a accident not a speed camera

we do get the traffic cars in the outback but you have to be dam unlucky to get caught

what is the speed limit for red P plates

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
AussieCJ7

seems to me the correlation is not the most common committed offense but rather the most focused on detection.

most committed I would guess to be failing to keep left unless overtaking on a road over 80kph speed limit
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
cram_it_frog
wombat

they really do not like people who use a mobil

so why do people not use hands free phone kits ?

be cheaper

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
what is the speed limit for red P plates
The same as anyone else if you're in Victoria.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
most committed I would guess to be failing to keep left unless overtaking on a road over 80kph speed limit
Not using your indicator to show your intention to leave a roundabout.

And that mobile phone figure would go through the roof if there were more police on the roads.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Falcojimmy

Most likely that the only reason for the mobile phone decline is the increase in sales of cars with Bluetooth! I doubt it has anything to do with effective policing or changed attitudes of motorists!
Falcojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Not using your indicator to show your intention to leave a roundabout.
is that an offence in NSW? it's one of the few things that's not, in Vic
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Lunch
Wait, what?

I dont understand y holding a mobile phone to ur ear and talking while ur driving is any different to talking to a passenger, i drive an auto, i only need 1 hand to drive my car, surely holding a mobile phone to ur ear takes less concentration than changing gears or changing a cd or yelling at the kids in the back seat, are they gunna ban those things next? I reckon it takes as much concentration as flipping down the sun visor. I completely understand texting being a stupid idea and those people deserve what they get for putting others at risk but fines for simply holding a phone to ur ear is complete crap..
For the record, my car has Bluetooth so .....
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
1TUFFUTE
Banned

What a stupid article......speeding is the ONLY offence they actually persinently enforce. If police sat near roundabouts, driving un safely and not indicating would more then double the ratio of people that speed. Speeding would only get what.....1 in 50 or 100 cars that pass a radar?
In fact I'd go as far to say 80-90% of everyone who uses roundabouts does so illegally and unsafely!!!
IMHO
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
What I don't get is the number of people I see in late model, high end, luxury cars, that don't utilise the bluetooth that you KNOW is in these cars...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

they really do not like people who use a mobil

be cheaper
Its mostly people texting I think.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
is that an offence in NSW? it's one of the few things that's not, in Vic
In NSW the rules for roundabouts in short are as follows:

Signalling:
You must indicate for long enough to give sufficient warning to other drivers and pedestrians before entering a roundabout when turning left or right.
You must also indicate, if practicable, on exit when going straight ahead.
That way, people around you know exactly where you’re headed.

Going Left:
On approach you must be in the left lane unless otherwise marked on the road, and indicate a left turn.
Keep your left indicator on until you have exited the roundabout.

Going right:
On approach you must be in the right lane unless otherwise marked on the road and indicare a right turn.
You must indicate a left turn just before your exit unless it is not practical to do so.

Going straight ahead:
When going straight ahead you do not need to indicate on approach.
You must indicate a left turn just before you exit unless it is not practical to do so.

Giving Way:

Approaching a roundabout: Vehicles entering a roundabout must give way to any vehicle already in the roundabout.

Giving way at a roundabout: means the driver must slow down and if necessary, stop to avoid a collision.
When entering, you must give way to all vehicles, including bicycles, already on the roundabout. So slow down or stop if necessary. Only enter when there is a safe gap.

Here’s the Roads & Maritime link to the full rules of roundabout use in NSW.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/roundabouts.html

I've driven all over the world and find Aussies tend to struggle with basic road rules like those for roundabouts compared to our foreign cousins.

That possibly because Australians are taught to pass driving tests and are not taught how to drive and practice common lifesaving courtesy towards other road users.

Obviously for almost all in NSW it’s never practical to indicate when leaving a roundabout.

Which is ridiculous as I always indicate in and out and never have a problem with it being impractical to do so.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
I dont understand y holding a mobile phone to ur ear and talking while ur driving is any different to talking to a passenger, i drive an auto, i only need 1 hand to drive my car, surely holding a mobile phone to ur ear takes less concentration than changing gears or changing a cd or yelling at the kids in the back seat, are they gunna ban those things next? I reckon it takes as much concentration as flipping down the sun visor. I completely understand texting being a stupid idea and those people deserve what they get for putting others at risk but fines for simply holding a phone to ur ear is complete crap..
For the record, my car has Bluetooth so .....
Studies all over the world seem to indicate mobile phone usage while driving does have a serious impact on the driver’s ability to concentrate.

Maybe they’re wrong.

But than again many people who get behind the wheel after drinking even just a couple of glasses of alcohol or taking prescription and illegal drugs also strongly believe it has no impact on their ability to drive.

Maybe the studies that say different in those cases are also wrong.

It’s only common sense to think anything that diverts your attention isn’t good, that includes, smoking, eating, noisy kids, arguments, playing with the stereo, putting on makeup and so on.

I'd hate to be the government who has to start putting a stop to everything happening in a vehicle but I do understand why they don’t want to introduce new stimuli.

In some parts of Europe the laws are much stricter than here, for example setting up navigational systems are banned. You have to pull over, stop and turn off the vehicle ignition before setting your destination and that includes vehicles equipped with touch screens and voice activation.

Banning some of it does make sense.

And I'm a person who hates with a passion the nanny state mentality that has taken over Australia.
Old 26-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #18
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Studies all over the world seem to indicate mobile phone usage while driving does have a serious impact on the driver’s ability to concentrate.
And yet the police seem to think these studies apply only to us, not to them....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:

Maybe they’re wrong.
Is it the talking part of mobile phone use while driving that these studies targeted or is it more the texting part? I know i can talk and drive, be it to a passenger or via Bluetooth, its not like u do the hokey pokey with the phone while ur on a call, its held firmly to the side of ur head. Personally i dont see the difference..
Old 26-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Most common driving offences of 2014 NSW

Quote:
Is it the talking part of mobile phone use while driving that these studies targeted or is it more the texting part? I know i can talk and drive, be it to a passenger or via Bluetooth, its not like u do the hokey pokey with the phone while ur on a call, its held firmly to the side of ur head. Personally i dont see the difference..
Well I'm glad you are in Victoria cos I totally disagree with you. I think that anyone who uses a hand held phone while they are driving a 2 tonne piece of metal at any speed is a complete idiot. It is obvious that you get distracted while using a phone. I'm so glad that NSW is between you and any of my family.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going north on the M1 or F3 this arvo the bloke next to us was at 105 kmh at the speed cameras at the top of Ourimbah Hill and texting very well indeed. And then at the merge after the twin servos a car was proceeding very safely at 60kmh in the 110 zone which straightened out to reveal a HP Commodore looking for ? speeders or ? negligent drivers.
Please stay safe everyone.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Well I'm glad you are in Victoria cos I totally disagree with you. I think that anyone who uses a hand held phone while they are driving a 2 tonne piece of metal at any speed is a complete idiot. It is obvious that you get distracted while using a phone. I'm so glad that NSW is between you and any of my family.

Cheers Mike
Can you tell me why talking on a phone while driving is so much more distracting than talking to a passenger while driving or having the kids kick the back of your seat while driving?
Its not me you need to worry about, i dont touch my phone while im in the car.
Old 26-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #23
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
all this means is that speeding is the easiest offence to catch and as long as it is easy it will look good on everyone's metrics and raise revenue, without doing a single thing to improve overall road safety
Yes, exactly. Very easy money for Govco.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #24
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking on a mobile is more than one distraction. 40 years of driving has told me that yes the person seems to be a little distracted having a chat to the passenger. But in the last 20 years with the proliferation of phone users the level of distraction is far worse. For one you have a hand off the controls of the car. A hand that should be using the signals, steering properly, change gear properly etc. If chatting to a passenger you stop talking when needing to look over the shoulder and other driving chores which require more focus but you still have to hold the phone and rarely stop talking. Then there is texting which requires you to take your eyes off the road. Forgive my bluntness but if you take your eyes off the road you are a bloody idiot, and that includes trying to see what the kids are doing.
Old 27-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The state's motorists paid a hefty $132 million in speeding fines for the first 10 months of 2014, provisional data shows, with speeding under 10km/h the most frequent offence. A total 258,081 fines were issued for motorists caught travelling 10km/h or under above the posted speed limited."
Revenue raising..nothing else...
Old 27-12-2014, 04:21 AM   #26
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can you tell me why talking on a phone while driving is so much more distracting than talking to a passenger while driving or having the kids kick the back of your seat while driving?
Its not me you need to worry about, i dont touch my phone while im in the car.
Simple really. If you have a phone in your hand pressed to your head you are now not in full control of your vehicle. Also the person on the other end of the phone has no idea that you are approaching a red light or are about to negotiate a roundabout for instance. They are oblivious to what you should really be concentrating on.

Whereas a passenger in your car can see that you are busy at certain points of your trip and knows when to shut up. They might even help by being an extra set of eyes. My wife has helped me out a few times over the years as a passenger.

If you are in a major prang the first thing the cops will do is check if you were using your phone. So good luck with the insurance company too if you were on it at the time of a prang.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The studies show it’s not just the texting, it’s also the distraction a conversation can have when using a phone and that includes using Bluetooth.

It’s about the primary need to concentrate on driving and not your often misconceived ability to multitask and instantly react at a high standard when not fully focused.

The studies have been carried out all over the world with much the same outcomes.

A lot of conversations don’t consist of, "nice day ain’t it".

But I’m no expert, so no point in me arguing, believe as you wish.

The only time I’ve ever been in a car that has had an accident where the driver was distracted was as a passenger 10 lifetimes ago when I was 19.

The driver dropped his cigarette in his lap, looked down and tried to grab for it and at the same time didn’t turn hard enough to negotiate the corner of a T-intersection.

A dropped lighted cigarette, shorts, hairy legs and vinyl seats are not a good combo.

I broke my finger as I reached for the dash to help brace myself as the car hit the opposite kerb.

Things happen that quick.

It wouldn’t be an accident if we were forewarned and could prepare ourselves.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #28
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watching a 97 Magna in the middle lane of the M1 here in Melbourne, the driver with a mobile stuck to their ear doing 20kmh less than passing traffic and not holding their lane well at all, no thanks!
Book 'em Danno!
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #29
Lunch
Wait, what?

Ok so weve established that a phone call while driving, be it Bluetooth or holding a phone are equally distracting and dangerous yeah? (Like i said, i dont see the difference) So why is 1 illegal and not the other?
Old 27-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok so weve established that a phone call while driving, be it Bluetooth or holding a phone are equally distracting and dangerous yeah? (Like i said, i dont see the difference) So why is 1 illegal and not the other?
Apart from the studies being newer than the existing rules speak to your State Roads Minister and ask why.

We are only discussing the dangerous use of hand held phones which the government has legislated as illegal and that studies also now show all usage is distracting.

And while you’re at it ask them why they focus on issuing infringements for the breach of some road rules and ignore others.

I'm old enough to remember all the people who said there was nothing wrong with drinking and driving as you just compensate for it or I'm just going around the corner and that they'd never stop drinking and driving when the laws were introduced.

Times and thinking have definitely changed but there will always be those that can't see reason.

Last edited by LoudPipes; 27-12-2014 at 04:10 PM.