Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Default Interstate freight for Wheels?

G'day all,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the best way to get a set of wheels freighted interstate. I'm after a good set of standard RTV wheels (preferably alloys), but it seems everything that comes up, is over east!

So I was wondering what would be the most cost effective way to get them across to WA.
If anyone knows any good freight companies who can offer a decent price, and has a good reputation, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Interstate freight for Wheels?

www.e-go.com.au

they seem to be the cheapest.

Cheers.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Thanks mate, will look into them. Have heard mixed reviews on their service though...
Old 18-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Try interparcel.com.au. They have options for Toll, TNT etc, and are the best price I've seen anywhere, though e-go do depot to depot which can be a 50% saving. I've used both - I've bought and sold at least 10 sets of rims interstate - and never had an issue - just make sure you insure the load ($20 for $1000 cover usually), and ensure the person packing securely sticks a piece of cardboard across the face of the rim to protect it. I generally use about 1/4 to 1/2 roll of packing tape to package up 4 sets of rims.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFalcon View Post
Thanks mate, will look into them. Have heard mixed reviews on their service though...
No problems here and I have used them a number of times.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Thanks, I'll try them also. Thanks for the tips on packing too!

I'm at work today, and forgot to measure and weigh a wheel from home last night to use for the quotes, so can anyone here give me the approx. weight of a 16" Falcon alloy with tyre, and the length x width x height?

I don't know exactly what kind of weight the RTV alloys with tyres would be, compared with a standard Falcon alloy with tyre.
Old 18-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also these wheels are BA XLS wheels, which might broaden your search.
Old 18-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Also these wheels are BA XLS wheels, which might broaden your search.
Thanks but, while they are the same style of wheel, but they aren't the same wheel. The XLS wheels are +36mm offset, whereas the RTV specific ones (which is what I need) are +21.5mm.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Gee-dog

I've used e-go numerous times, with no problems. They have reduced the savings for depot to depot - I think it's only 30% now - used to be 50%.

I packed the rims in a stack, with foam sheets between each rim, duct tape holding each rim to the next one (around the lips of both rims) then wrapped in that black plastic shipping wrap (like glad-wrap but wider & stronger). I put the inside of the top & bottom rim facing outwards, so if they did drop them it would be on the inside face.

I always buy insurance - you then get an extra sticker so the truck driver knows they are insured. I think they are a bit gentler on them.
Gee-dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee-dog View Post
I always buy insurance - you then get an extra sticker so the truck driver knows they are insured. I think they are a bit gentler on them.

Quite the opposite with the freight I've dealt with... Pay for the insurance to cover your ***, but don't be under any illusions they're going to be treated any better.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I used Smart Send to ship a set of 4 rims and tyres from Donvale in Vic to North Parramatta NSW Price came in around $100 including $1000 insurance and signed delivery. Delivered in 2 business days - I had my brother in law pick them up for me and shrink wrapped them so that saved a few dollars

https://www.smartsend.com.au/?Track=CPANFDZ0105376
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Be careful with Smartsend. I used to use them all the time to send wheels until one day they decided they wanted more money out of me. They said I had under measured the wheels and so they added a few cm here and there to the package sizes which of course adds to the cost. I know my measurements were spot on as I had checked them multiple times. I contacted them and complained but they basically said tough titties and give us our extra money. So my only recourse is to never use them again and let anyone who listens know of my experience.

Its a shame really, I used to use them all the time and recommend them all the time but they have lost me as a customer and I no longer recommend them all because of their attitude.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Thanks all, very helpful.

So basically, I really need to get exact weights and dimensions of the wheels and tyres. I can get approximate ones using my old AUII Futura alloys which still have tyres on them, but they're a bit smaller and lighter than the RTV ones will be.
Unfortunately Im in WA and the wheels Im currently looking at, are in Sydney.