Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
titan 4380

Default Series 2 cluster in a series 1 Fairmont

I have a Series 1 AU Fairmont with a Series 1 cluster installed. Everything works fine including the installed Series 2 climate control module.
If I install a series 2 cluster, I have the following issues;
The range until empty does not display.
The oil pressure gauge reads zero and triggers a low oil pressure alarm.

Does anybody know a fix for any of these problems?
titan 4380 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Series 2 cluster in a series 1 Fairmont

This might help but this is a standard AU II cluster low series converted to hight series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Thanks to fourl6 image and advice. I have added how I did it

Added by Uncle_Ken
Cables removed from holder (1) and tag the wires (2) so they can be easliy seen.

Next use a loom from a high series to make the new connections. If you don't have a loom you can modify 2 Floopy drive power cable instead (Trim the sides to allow a smooth connection, cut and remove excess slots you don't need)

and

With the loom in place, splice with wires together.

Test and thats the lot
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Series 2 cluster in a series 1 Fairmont

this goes first
Thanks to fourl6 image and advice. I have added how I did it

[QUOTE=Uncle_Ken]I know this has been covered a million times but some of the main things have never been answered, I changed my AU3 Forte cluster to a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster today, all working great, only thing is that i dont have a trip meter as the high series have it in the climate control? and havn't wired up the individual door ajar and the washer fluid senser

all the tec docs around give basic instruction on upgrading a series 1 and just say change this these pins, not very easy to understand

the instructions for series 1 are pretty much the same for 2/3 with one of the wires changing colour but all pin locations staying the same

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,
1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2. - Brown
2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3. - Light Blue / Red
3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23 - Orange/Black
4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26 - Green / Light Blue (Series 1 is White / Light Blue)

(Using the Photo Below) The Pin numbers start from bottom right and go in a U shape to the top right spread over the 2 connections, so a total of 28 pins one connection has 8 pins (that does not exist on base model wiring) and the other has 20 pins

this photos is of the back of a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster with a AU3 Forte Wiring loom, with the pins removed from the connection

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post