Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Liri

Default Third Gear

Hi Kids,

I've had my WS for about 6 months now and I was just wondering if anyone else found that sometimes its a bit tricky to find third when changing from second gear?

Bestow your wisdom on me my fellow Fez drivers.

Liri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Fi.ES.TA

Well no i have'nt had my car that long but had it 2 month and cant say mine is doing that,in all honesty the WS is the easiest car ive driven for changing gears no effort at all it basically selects itself.
So that does'nt sound good for that to be happening to your's.Just take it back to your dealer and tell them the problem.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm starting to notice it's a little reluctant to select revers now as apposed to when I first got it when reverse was simple to select. I believe a few members had their transmission oil changed at their 3000km service, so I'll be doing that. They claimed it helped alot. Another member 'greenfoam' had about 20,000km on his wife's WS Fiesta, so perhaps he'd be best to talk to regarding this seeing as they have clocked up more km than most of us combined!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
BruceT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liri
I've had my WS for about 6 months now and I was just wondering if anyone else found that sometimes its a bit tricky to find third when changing from second gear?
Reverse can be tricky, but third is no problem. The trick is to let it find its natural neutral position when you take it out of 2nd - don't pull it across - then just push it forward.

It's a very nice gearbox and I have no problem changing from any gear to any other gear - althought to be honest I can't say I've tried 1st to 5th.
Only reverse can be tricky. Sometimes it seems engaged but when I release the clutch I get a whining noise and no movement.
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Had the same issue with reverse, sometimes it's difficult to find and you think you've slotted it in only to let the clutch out and get a whirring noise ...

But the shifts from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 are very smooth, although 1-2 can take a little bit more of a tug sometimes (not quite as smooth as the others).

Pretty happy with the gearbox, and the clutch has softened up a bit now (3500kms), but was very stiff at the start?

Never owned a new car before so that's probably normal!
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
Zetec Dave

No real probs with 3rd gear but reverse has been reluctant from day one and if you don't really give it a good nudge, then the gears might make a horrible grinding sound on the odd occassion. Its like it hasn't fully gone into reverse or something.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post