Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
BF MKII UTE

Default Lowering AU 1 Wagon

My AU 1 wagon has totally stock setup at the moment but i'm looking at lowering it a little.
Whats involved in lowering these wagons ? and by how much do people reconmend ? What sort of costs could i expect to pay?

Thanks
Alan.
BF MKII UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Get the rear springs re-set and add another leaf or 2.
Throw new lowered coils on the front.

Approx $250-$350 for the rear, and $100-$150 or so for the front.

Rick.
Old 16-04-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
BF MKII UTE

Thanks Rick. What about shocks ? Will the stockies still be useable (they're in good condition). What do you mean by re-set ? I take it this is no DIY task ?
Alan
Old 16-04-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I installed superlows in the fronT of my AU2 wagon, which dropped it about 45mm, and had the springs reset by Pedders. I asked Pedders to lower it by 60mm, should have gone for around 40mm. Oh well, you live and learn. Here's a pic to show you what it ends up like:
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 626
Thanks Rick. What about shocks ? Will the stockies still be useable (they're in good condition). What do you mean by re-set ? I take it this is no DIY task ?
Alan
Your standard shocks will be fine, though firmer ones will be better.
The leaves need to be re-set by a suspension mob.

Rick.
Old 16-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Very nice wagon JC. Very nice
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
BF MKII UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
^^ now that's a big under statement, she looks awesome JC. How does the ride feel JC? What did Pedders charge you all up ? Why do you say 40mm not 60mm ?

Thanks for your info too Rick.

Alan.

Last edited by BF MKII UTE; 16-04-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 16-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
For sure for sure! Wish my wagon looked more like that! LOL
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2005, 01:35 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks for the compliments guys (oops, and girls - just in case) - remind me never to show it to you in the flesh though - black just shows up too many scratches/marks, etc.

Anyway, Alan.....Why 40mm and not 60mm - because at 60mm lower than standard, the car scrapes getting out of our driveway (it's a gentle slope). At 40mm lower than standard, I don't think it would, though with the new exhaust, it doesn't scrape as badly as with the old one. I had the fronts done ages ago, and it never scraped, so it's only since the back was done. I also use the car to tow a boat occasionally, and I think now that I have dropped it this low, when I put the boat on, it will be resting on the bump stops. Also, the missus reckons it's a bit too low as she has to bend down further when putting our 19 month old twins in/out of the car. It's funny the little things women complain about. On the flip side, she does concede that it is now easier to put the stroller in the cargo area.

The handling is really good. I reckon it corners better than my XR8. It sits flatter through corners, and has virtually no body roll - easy enough to achieve in a sedan, but a pretty mean feat in a wagon, I reckon. I also have nolathane bushes on the front sway bar, which did not a noticeable difference to the handling at the front. The tradeoff, of course, is that small ripples/bumps in the road give you a (small) hit in the kidneys. But that's probably because I am running Monroe GT Gas shocks - I'm sure with Konis, or bilsteins etc, the bump absorption would be better. When I got the Monroes, I asked for shocks for lowered/sports suspension, and the guy at Repco showed me the catalogue - they are all the same part number!

Sorry about the essay, but you asked!

Oh, bugger - forgot about cost. Don't quote me on these figures as I can't find the receipt, but I think Pedders stage 1 leaf springs were around $480 fitted, plus bushes if you needed them. The next best quote I had was $600, so Pedders were actually OK in this instance. I went for resetting my current springs, as the Pedders stage 1 only drops the car 30/35mm, and the resetting was "only" $350 - it's all labour, so there is no extra labour on top of this (if that makes sense). New front nolathene bushes added $70, making a total of $420, and my rear bushes were fine (the fronts were buggered though). This is the front and rear bushes of the rear leaf springs, not to be confused with the front bushes in the front suspension.

Man, I need to take a shorthand course! Hope all that helps.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 17-04-2005 at 01:39 AM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

JCXR8 I have the same driveway from hell probs too so i have stock springs to cope but I have looked into it and the rear overhang and the towbar and exhaust protusion are the issues on the wagon. the front overhang means with sensible approach angles 40mm is OK. At the back though I have about 25mm spare before scaping 1 up and with family on board it scrapes now at stock height.

Interested to hear how you got the wagon to handle as well as the XR8.

I can't say my stock AUII is all that good even with nice tyres that now look stupidly small in the rear wheel arches at stock ride height.

I have been hanging out to get new shocks and Monroe's are on the top of my list but you are thinking Koni's or bilsteins are better?

I can't tell from the post whether you felt the nolathane bushes in the front were a good thing or not. tell us more.

P.S. I bought the white AUII Fairmont wagon after a blue one which although I liked the colour better got fed up with the door open chips showing the white undercoat. I figured the white car with white undercoat better suited to a family car that gets parked in shopping centre car parks evrey day
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #11
GK
Walking with God

My family wagon was great when I was driving it to work. Now that the misses and little one go in and out at shopping centres, there are little scratches and chips on the doors!

Can't help or worry about the inevitable I guess! LOL

Last edited by GK; 17-04-2005 at 11:06 AM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Sox
RIP...

jonbays -

My folks AU wagon is lowered around 35mm.

I fitted low Lovells up front and had the rear re-set, I also played around with the rear leaves myself, as even 6 leaves weren't enough keep it sorted.
I settled on 4 thin leaves and 1 thick (ute) leave from memory, which makes the rear firm enough to take pretty decent loads, and gives good feedback with little bumpsteer.

I also fitted Monroe GT gas, though feel the ride is excellent, still a little soft IMO.

Lastly I fitted a 22mm rear sway bar.

It has no urethane, as my folks didn't want any harshness introduced.

It handles very competent, not brilliant, but far better than a standard wagon.
The problem is it still doesn't feel as light and nimble as the shorter, lighter sedans. However cornering speed is quite decent with little roll.
I would still like to see a 27mm front bar to finish it off.

BTW, I don't think Koni or Bilstien would ride any better than the Monroe GT's, in fact I'd say they'd be quite away firmer.

Rick.
Old 17-04-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
BF MKII UTE

Thank you very much for the info JCXR8 and you too SOX. I'm a little concerned about my driveway though, the initial part of the invert at the kerb is rather steep, my stock Mazda 626 scrapes it front bumper, my sisters stock 2003 Monaro scrapes the fron t bumper and my wagon clears only just. Might have to install a metal plate to angle the invert a bit more ??
Alan.