Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-06-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

Question D.I.Y shift kit

i caught a glimpse of this a while back and haven't found it since but someone was saying you can make your own shift kit.
few wires here and there, some soldering ect.......
if anyone knows how, i would like to know :

martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do a search it's been brought up 1,000,000 times
2 resistors if i remember correctly, and there is an ongoing debate about how much damage it does to the tranny
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

cool thanks might give it a miss
i love my tranny to much
martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymonsta
cool thanks might give it a miss
i love my tranny to much
The firmness of the shift isn't too bad in power #1 mode ( if you have an adaptive shift auto ). There is a limit to how much the tranny can take , but in some ways its better for the tranny to shift firmer , but the end result is the rear running gear (diff/tailshaft etc ) cops a beating , resulting in a loose/worn/noisy asss end eventually / Im only on about prolonged major firm shiftness here (with a shift kit set hard).

I wouldn't say don't get 1 if you plan on getting slightly faster times etc , just imo i wouldn't set it much harder than the shift firmness already obtainable ( with a variable shift kit ) if you plan on wanting the rest of the running gear to last a while too , and also not wanting to maybe damage the tranny having it set to firm .

Im just going of my own experience here with shift kits in the past , imo they are quite good so long as you don't over do it . ;)

Really in the end though it is a person choice , as TwistedEL mentioned about the debates about the damage that can be caused. Some people like the gearchange to kick like a horse , but you can't expect that without expecting wear ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post