Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Talking TurtleWax Color Cure with Chipstick . Awesome !

Thought i'de mention this as the AU seems to be pretty stone chip prone on the front of the spoiler & bonnet/nose.
I just purchased some of this Colored Turtlewax with the ChipStik. I originally tried to use it when i first purchased it on a freezing cold day ( not the recomended conditions to use it in ! ) - and the chipstick was literally just chipping away itself it was so cold and brittle - fair enough , not supposed to do it in cold weather ...
Today was sunny so i though i'de try it again , spend 4 hrs doing my bonnet and i must say it looks good as new again , for a $20 product im very impressed , took a bit of hard yakka toutching up ALL the tiny stone chips too , but gee - the finish after polishing it too , looks like a brandnew paintjob.
Just a thanks to the guys who made this stuff , great product if used corectlly . ;) .

Oh ill just mention too that i had a few large stone chips on the bonnet along the front ( near the badge and lights etc etc ) looked like it had been lightlly sandblasted ! - it was getting pretty bad ! - i really can't believe how goods it looks again , took a while , but worth the effort . just gotta do the front spoiler next .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Great to hear. Might have to do my bonnet as it's sandblastered and now stands out after getting my front bumper resprayed.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

just a word of warning which isnt mentioned on the back of the bottle , if you use this stuff you need to apply some pretty firm pressure with the chipstik when going over the chips/sandblast , also like work the stick fast 'across' the scrape fast and heavy a few times to heat the stick up so the chips actually fill instead of the stick just chipping away , the stick seems really brittle ! - but dont be stressed about it scratching when applying firm pressure , it doesnt scratch ;) . As i mentioned , it worked great once i got the hang of it and in the right conditions .

Old 02-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Got any pics mate? I used this on my old ED, and I thought it was ok for what it was, but could never get the chipstick to work.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Got any pics mate?
No pictures just yet , and its a bit dark to take some now , i'll finish the front bar/spoiler first then ill take some pics ;) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I used this on my old ED, and I thought it was ok for what it was, but could never get the chipstick to work.
I had exactelly the same problem the first few tries , even today in the warm weather , i found it was a matter of pushing HARD and like short fast strokes over stonechips until the buildup was just higher than the paintwork ( then polish it flat ) , and long scrapes use the same method but go across the scrapes , not along in line with the scrape ..imo i think doing the fast hard short stokes helps heat the chipstik up a bit to the point where it isnt so brittle and actually fills the sandblast and chips up.. hope this helps ..

To get the chipstik to work effectivelly, It's almost like being a 2 year old again with a texta , coloring in a picture with the pressure that would push the tip into the body of the texta ..lol.

But it works great once you get the hang of using the chipstik ;) - and the colored polish just tops it off perfect .

Old 02-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ive tried this product before as well, with poor results. I may have to give it a go again!

Got the bottle still in the shed, the wagon has a few stone chips on the bonnet, might give it a go soon!

Glad you got good results with it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Ive tried this product before as well, with poor results. I may have to give it a go again!

Got the bottle still in the shed, the wagon has a few stone chips on the bonnet, might give it a go soon!

Glad you got good results with it!

GK
Yeah persist with it , once you get the hang of it its easy , i think the first hour i was getting nowhere until i worked out how to use the stick effectivelly ( as i described above ) . Definatelly try to fill the chips and sandblasts with the chipstick in direct sunlight too though , so the paintwork is nice and warm , helps warm the chipstick up a bit too so the stuff grips into the chips i think. Once you build up the chiped areas it's quiet a bit of arm/muscle work if you don;t have a buffer , i just used some open weave cloth to polish the excess chipstick stuff flat ( gotta polish fairly hard to remove the excess ) , the excess on the rag while polishing it flat doesnt scratch the rest of the paintwork either , so fear not ..lol ;) . Just be sure to put the car in the shade and allow the paintwork to cool before you apply the color polish ;) .. gl

Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wont it just fill the chip with the wrong colour?
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
wont it just fill the chip with the wrong colour?

Yes and No , large chips are a tad more noticable when you look really close after the repairs , but the actual stick matches close enough as a base coat until you apply the color polish , the polish is actually a really fine grit ( about no1 ) polish too , so it actually really finelly cuts and polishes your paintjob and smears the cut colors from your original paintjob lightlly over the repairs - which helps to hide the color match that tadd more and finishes it off nicelly .

Once im totally finished the repairs i'll have to polish it with a nice thick coat of clear wax to protect my repairwork a bit i think

Old 02-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
the polish is actually a really fine grit ( about no1 ) polish too , so it actually really finelly cuts and polishes your paintjob and smears the cut colors from your original paintjob lightlly over the repairs -
How old is your car ? would it not have a clear cote ? if so hows it cutting colour ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
How old is your car ? would it not have a clear cote ? if so hows it cutting colour ?
Fair question!

Also when do we see the pics of the benefits of your hard labour? _2:

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 02-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
That's a good point ! , i think the front end of my car was resprayed before i bought it , and i dont think it had a clear coat put over it ! - which made the color blending all the better with the color polish i think. Im not saying for sure its a cutting type polish , but by the feel of the texture of it and the results after i finished was like using a no1. cut and polish on a half decent paint job and made it look like new . Apart from it 'maybe' being a light cut polish too , i think the fact that its a colored polish also helps blend the finishing job after using the stick ..
Just to note , my car is that dark metallic blue , the chipstick is darker color than my car and the polish is a lighter color ( my car is sorta inbetween the 2 color blues ) , after applying both the results were very good , looks as good now - if not better - than some ( most ! ) repairs i have seen done by stone chip repairers with paint doing toutchups , the stuff seems to set solid once its polished flat too ! .

Old 02-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
DOC,

What's your opinion on these products?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Fair question!

Also when do we see the pics of the benefits of your hard labour? _2:

GK
I'll post some pics of it tomorrow when i can take some while its daylight ! . ;)

The only thing im spewin about now is that my bonnet looks so new that i have now noticed i have 2 tiny dints in my bonnet ! - i couldn't see them before amongst all the stone chips and sandblast ..lol , ill have to remove the bonnel lining ad see if i can push them out , they aren't to severe - allthough they are noticable now the rest of my bonnet looks like new ! .

Old 02-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #15
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes most polishes are abrasive ( some are not ). if it was resprayed with no clear then you would be right in what your saying.

With the product i have seen it but never used it ( hard to get me away from what i know works ) but in saying that what your using is probably really good as well, so until i try it i can't comment.

With the chip stick it does sound good, and sounds like it solves / partway solves the old chip hassles. i have been experimenting with a few things the average person can do but still not happy with the outcome as yet, so yes all good to see a product working well.

With your car i'm not sure what wax you used but try some cabanara (S) wax ( step3 megs is a good one or one of the many others available ) this will help enhance the / a dark cars depth of colour and buff with a good MF cloth.

Pete

Quote:
DOC,
What's your opinion on these products?
GK
GK as above i have not used the product so i can not make any claims regarding it, but it sounds ok to me
Old 02-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Seriouslly guys , if i would of posted on here an hour into using this product i would of been cursing it as i was getting no where at first ! - at first i though it was rubbish , i even tried just the polish after hoping it would cover the marks as i was getting nowehre with the stick , but the polish didn't do its justice against the marks without first using the chipstick correctlly - i had my doubts about it too being only $20 a bottle including the stick . As i mentioned - if u do use it , you need to use a fair bit of force while stroking the stick across the chips etc , the stick seeming brittle i was affraid to much pressure with it was going to scratch the sorounding paintwork , but it didn't . This really is a great product , if you allready have some but can't get results - and if your in melbourne around near dandenong , i would even be happy to show you how to get the stick to work propperlly if your having problems with it ;) . I am actually dumb founded by the results i have got from such a cheap product - is why im raving about it so much ! .

Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
I am actually dumb founded by the results i have got from such a cheap product - is why im raving about it so much ! .
Glad you got good results, will probably give mine another go, just DOC's quesion about clearcoat is still unanswered for me.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Glad you got good results, will probably give mine another go, just DOC's quesion about clearcoat is still unanswered for me.

GK
i mentioned regarding the clearcoat query a few posts back .

i think regardless of the clearcoat or not you would get good results because of the color polish too .

Just something i had noticed before i purchased this stuff , i had been looking at it a few times in supercheap / autobarn / k-mart etc etc , and in all the stores i noticed that the darker the color the less bottles they have in stock ( must be the darker color cars with the light color undercoat show the stone chips worse ! ..lol ) , heaps of the white stuff and yellow etc on the shelves ..lol , most the darker color seem to of had their chipstiks pinched off them too .. 1 thing im not sure of is if this stuff comes in black ! - i've never seen it - the darkest i have seen is the dark blue i get , even with the blue most shops are sold out or only have a bottle or 2 of the blue left over ! ..heaps of the other colors allways avaiable though..

hmmm , actually now i come to think of it , i think i have seen it in black ages ago in a shop somewhere , probably gets snapped up even faster than the ble being a darker color and shows the stonechips the worste ..lol , but i haven't seen the stuff in black in the local shops around here in ages , maybe they even stoped making it in black, as i know from owning black cars in the past that even the slightest bit of crap in a product can scratch the paint lightly and its really visible on black ! . I'm not sure about the black being still available ?? ,.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #19
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Great to hear. Might have to do my bonnet as it's sandblastered and now stands out after getting my front bumper resprayed.
what did it cost to get your front bumper sprayed?
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #20
gonads

I gave this stuff a go last weekend and I was pretty happy with the result. My car is black and this stuff is available in this colour. Maybe all the black ones happened to be sold out? Wouldn't surprise me, it's a of a colour to keep looking nice.

Anyway, I found the chip stick didn't work at all well until I'd left it in my pocket for a little while. The coloured polish did a pretty good job of filling all the miniscule chips that you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking really hard.

My only complaint is that the coloured polish left the finish a little dull. I gave it a hit with Meguiar's NXT-Gen wax which gave a fantastic deep finish but made the minor stone chips show up white again. :(

Chip stick is great IMO!
gonads is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #21
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonads
I gave this stuff a go last weekend and I was pretty happy with the result. My car is black and this stuff is available in this colour. Maybe all the black ones happened to be sold out? Wouldn't surprise me, it's a of a colour to keep looking nice.

Anyway, I found the chip stick didn't work at all well until I'd left it in my pocket for a little while. The coloured polish did a pretty good job of filling all the miniscule chips that you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking really hard.

My only complaint is that the coloured polish left the finish a little dull. I gave it a hit with Meguiar's NXT-Gen wax which gave a fantastic deep finish but made the minor stone chips show up white again. :(

Chip stick is great IMO!
Sounds like you need to hit the minor stone chips with the chipstick too , i toutched up even the tiny'st chips ( the sandblast ) witht the stick too ,( prolly why it toook me 4 hrs to do my bonnet ) , but the results were spectacular. Personally i didn't have any problems with the polish leaving a dull finish , it came up awesome , did u use a damp cloth or sponge to apply the polish , then allow it to dry before polishing it off ? , but i also found before i masterd the chipstick i tried just the polish and it covered light marks but it came off too without the stick to fill the chips as a base . good to hear you've had some ok resuls to far - could also be your car being black that maybe it came up a bit dull , as you know black shows up every little problem and highlihights it x100 !! ..lol ;)

Old 03-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #22
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonads
I gave it a hit with Meguiar's NXT-Gen wax which gave a fantastic deep finish but made the minor stone chips show up white again. :(
Chip stick is great IMO!
One reason for this is that the NXT GEN is a cleaner wax thus it will try and clean as well, you need to be using the step 3 cab wax on the darker cars

VR6 this will help your car as well being dark
Cheers
Pete
Old 03-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #23
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

i only ever use turtle wax on my cars so far. And i bought the colour one with chipstick last time to do it, came up a treat. The coour polish blends in with whatever colour your car is, and just richens it up a bit, (Mines silver so the silver polish works a treat). The chipstick can be tricky but i had a couple of nasty scratches on the left guard where the previous owner droped a metal garbage lid down it, and went over them with chipstick, there still there of course and you can still see them, but they dont stand out like dog nuts as they did before.

See you cant even see them anymore. Before you could easily.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,

Last edited by autickfordfairmont; 03-05-2006 at 10:30 AM.
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #24
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

****in down with rain and no sun here today , i'll get some pics soon , but as you can see form autickfordfairmonts pic above this stuff works really well.
It had me wondering when using that chipstik -> i just about recon you could use a crayon for the stick if you used all ya stick up before using all the polish, its almost exactelly the same texture as a crayon , just a bit harder .. hhmmm.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Hey all, when i first bought my car it had a scratch on the rear guard about 5 inches long and was down to the greyish undercoat and stuck out everytime i was looking at my car my eyes were attracted to this scratch like a magnet, my car is white by the way. so i went out and bought the turtle wax product in white and used it on the scratch and polished it in and to be honest with you its still filled in to this day (17 months ago) and to tell you the truth i had forgotten about this scratch until writing this reply and reading about the product. In my opinion it does work and last well mine has so far.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #26
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
One reason for this is that the NXT GEN is a cleaner wax thus it will try and clean as well, you need to be using the step 3 cab wax on the darker cars

VR6 this will help your car as well being dark
Cheers
Pete
I've started using the Tech Wax, as the Meguiars guys told me it worked well on dark cars, including their own as Meguiars spec black company cars only - how does that compare? Came up a treat for the AU barbeque, but I'm always keen to learn more.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #27
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
I've started using the Tech Wax, as the Meguiars guys told me it worked well on dark cars, including their own as Meguiars spec black company cars only - how does that compare? Came up a treat for the AU barbeque, but I'm always keen to learn more.
Mate nothing wrong with it, but you want some more depth give it a coat of cab wax, DeathXR, there are many versins of whats right n wrong , from my point i stay away from that judgement ( it saves fights ) all i am saying is give it a try, you should see greater depth and shine.

The reason for the comment above was the guy who placed the repair on lost it after using the tec wax and by using the cab it would have been avoided / or at least minimised

Pete
Old 03-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #28
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got some of this to try and get some marks/ships and scratch out of the ute. The front-end of my sedan unfortunatly would need a case of the stuff..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #29
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cube
I got some of this to try and get some marks/ships and scratch out of the ute. The front-end of my sedan unfortunatly would need a case of the stuff..
lol , i thought that was going to be my case too ! , the frontend of my car was cactus , it's amazing how far that chipstik goes , i still have 2/3rd's of the chipstick left after repairing the front, allthough it did take the good part of near a whole day in the end to toutch it up ! - but was worth it for the results i got in the end .

And wouldn't you know it - that afternoon after all my hard labour and polishing the bonnet up like new , a bird came along and layed a huge sh|t right in the centre of my bonnet :( - yet i can't ever recall getting a huge bird turd on the bonnet since owning the car until now ! .

Also gave my arms a good workout polishing off all the excess chipstik from off the repairs ( thousands of tiny sandblast chips :( ) - darn 2 days later and i can still lightlly feel the backs of my arms aching

Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #30
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Default results

Excuse the quality - my rubbish camera :( , good enough to give you and idea of the results though..

For a $20 product i'm pretty impressed ! .