Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post How many customers is Ford losing because they're not prepared to wait a year for a Mustang

"Ford is patting itself on the back because it has queues stretching around the block for its new Mustang and the most expensive versions of its new Ranger Wildtrak.

But this newfound popularity is a double-edged sword. How many customers is Ford losing because they're not prepared to wait a year for a Mustang and six months for a ute?

Ford has been telling us breathlessly it is finally listening to the customer. It might also want to look at how it got its forecasts so massively wrong.

Ford thought only 1000 Aussies would take a Mustang in its first year.

At last count, the order bank stretches beyond 6000.

It expected only 4 per cent of Ranger demand to be the $60,000-plus Wildtrak model.

True demand is running at 15-20 per cent.

The lesson for buyers: if you sign for an in-demand car, you should get in writing the likely delivery time.

Then amend the contract or insert a clause — "deal is null and void and deposit is refunded in full if the car is not delivered by (date)" — and get the dealer principal or most senior person on the floor to countersign.

Otherwise you could be left hanging indefinitely.

Here's a case study: my mate, a lifelong, second-generation Ford fan, was prepared to wait six months for a Wildtrak — only to have the delivery date moved back. Ford hadn't ordered the car from the factory until seven weeks after he put down his deposit. So he walked into a Toyota showroom and ordered a HiLux SR5 with the lot. He picks it up this week, six days after signing the deal.

He'll get his deposit back but it'll be a long time before he's in a Ford showroom again.

There could be many other customers like him. The predicament worsens if they're uncertain as to when their car will arrive and whether they're entitled to get their deposit back."
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...-comment-41476
Old 22-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: How many customers is Ford losing because they're not prepared to wait a year for a Mustang

Damn right, they made the same mistake when I bought my first new Ford in 2009, WS Fiestas, they imported heaps of base model ones (CL) but no upper model Zetecs that everyone wanted.

Was alright for me because I found a povo spec CL on the yard and snapped it up, drove it out shortly afterwards.

With my Focus, bought it new, had one sitting on the lot, drove it out shortly afterwards.

LIKE HELL I would be waiting 6 months for my new car, its not happening.

I've had a driver side seatbelt pretensioner on order with Ford since November 2015 and they can't even deliver me one of those due to a supplier issue which is still ongoing, let alone a new Ranger or Mustang.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-05-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
Tezza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How many customers is Ford losing because they're not prepared to wait a year for a Mustang

Perhaps the only thing to consider here (especially in the case of the Mustang) is they are happy to have some form of waiting list. It creates hype and hysteria around the car, and although it may cost them some potential sales, it means no cars are hanging around in paddocks unsold, and in turn, very limited discounting, and in some cases fetching over their RRP.

It's a supply and demand thing. Too many and they need to flog them off cheap, damaging the brand and resale values. Not enough means they keep the buzz alive (hello xy gtho) and people will pay whatever it costs.....
Tezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
cycle myth

pffff....

History repeating.

Same thing happened with with original Mustang - had to triple production to meet demand.

This model is no different - each country under called the expected demand so makes it hard for any of them to get the more that they want.

A good sign in some respects but a double edged sword.

Might make the transition difficult and require a bit of planning...
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford have currently got four very good performance cars available in the market; none of which you can readily buy, let alone test drive.

Those being the V8 Mustang, Focus RS and the XR6 & XR8 Sprints.

That's a pretty crazy situation, when you think about it.
Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the PX first came out I heard of someone who took a test drive that there was a 3 month waiting.
When I went to buy mine I was told up to 2 months by the local dealer. Less than a week later I drove to Sydney and bought exactly what I wanted.
I don't get how one dealer can struggle to get one, but another dealer 200kms away has one waiting ready to go with no buyer.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They'd be happy to have waiting lists, means you can charge RRP + for your product.

If they're making profit with a massive waiting list I don't think they'd really care to be honest.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 12:07 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They Probably do lose x amount of customers via the waiting period , its a nice limo to be sure , but if it was me looking for new wheels , id be hoping to be driving away in the next week or fortnight ..... stretching it maybe a month , but not bloody 6 months , i would be making other arrangements.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 01:48 AM   #9
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ordered a stang on christmas eve last year and havnt heard a thing from ford since.you would think they would send a letter out saying thanks for being patient etc .but its the usual ford customer relations give us your money and we will give you the car when we are ready.hope the wait is worth while and they have addressed a few of the issues by the time we get it.the wait has tested the patience especially with the price of previous gen shelbys and rouschs at the moment
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

............and there's a red demonstrator on display, sitting in the terminal at the local airport that you can have right now for $53k.

It doesn't have a GT badge so I'm assuming it's the 4 not the V8.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If i could afford a new stang id happily wait for it, its a Mustang for crying out loud, from the ones i've seen they are worth the wait!
Old 23-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I personally can't (and won't) wait for a new car. I had to wait 4-days for my new XR8 and that was long enough! I don't blame people who look for alternatives.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

I took the article an entirely different way
For years Dowling has written how crap Fords are
Now they are about to leads the sales table in various categories the only thing he can write is how crap Ford are at production
Seriously........
Old 23-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yet another Ford denigration story from Dowling. As soon as I saw that the article was written by that ******, I didn't bother go to the link, but I noticed in the OP copy that he states " Here's a case study: my mate..."
That statement shows how this richard cranium waffles on with so much BS. As if anyone of his ilk would have any "mates". Probably thinks his reflection in a mirror (just before it cracks) is his mate.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me. That's who.
Lined up at the dealer to ask about one when I heard they were definitely going to be available "later in the year" (last year), then he said "Better put down a deposit now and you might be able to get one by the middle of next year".
Walked out.
Australians DO have a problem with buying a car they have never seen, sat in, or test driven. At least normal people do. It's not like an FPV where you can drive a "normal" Falcon and get a pretty good idea of the layout of the thing.

This bullcrap of keeping numbers limited to "create a hype" around them is just ridiculous...it's just a goddamn Mustang, not some specialty limited-run exclusive prestige car. They're meant to be sold in volume to keep prices down and get as many people as possible into them. Oh, sorry...that's how the Yanks do it, not us.
There seems to be a philosophy among car enthusiasts here of wanting it to be seen as something special and "limited"...whereas in the USA the Mustang is definitely not anything all that special until you get up in the range a fair way...they're "just a car".

I have spoken to plenty of people in my line of work who have the cash to stump up for a Mustang, but the wait time makes them look elsewhere.

Guess the snobbish guys who want the numbers being brought in kept deliberately low and supply choked off have had their way...anything so they can cruise smugly in their Mustang and aren't faced with the abject horror of seeing Mustangs commonly driving around everywhere and being used just as...shock!...an everyday car!!!!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #16
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you really want a Mustang, what else are you going to buy?

A Challenger? Camaro? Corvette? Not an option.
I suppose if you want a sports car you'd buy... what? Spend up for a euro, or a turbo hot hatch.

For those people who REALLY want a Mustang, they have the sale already.

If i'm going to buy a new car tomorrow, sure, i'd love to buy a Mustang so it's not an option, so I guess they lose that sale. But while I'm at the Ford lot do I hop into an FGX or a Titanium Mondeo and decide to buy that?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
madmatty
dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
If you really want a Mustang, what else are you going to buy?

A Challenger? Camaro? Corvette? Not an option.
I suppose if you want a sports car you'd buy... what? Spend up for a euro, or a turbo hot hatch.

For those people who REALLY want a Mustang, they have the sale already.

If i'm going to buy a new car tomorrow, sure, i'd love to buy a Mustang so it's not an option, so I guess they lose that sale. But while I'm at the Ford lot do I hop into an FGX or a Titanium Mondeo and decide to buy that?
will you wait 6 months for a mondeo i wonder?
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #18
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezza View Post
Perhaps the only thing to consider here (especially in the case of the Mustang) is they are happy to have some form of waiting list. It creates hype and hysteria around the car
A prestige brand might get away with that, but ask the typical punter, and they're just as likely to say 'what? wait a year for a Ford??? as if'. I know, its a Mustang and it is somewhat iconic, but that only goes so far when you have as much choice as we do.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #19
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Personally I think a short term solution to the huge backlog of Australian Mustang orders and 12 month plus waiting lists would be the following;

Instead of closing down the Australian Broadmeadows factory in October this year, keep it open, for at least another couple of years... Import the left hand drive USA Mustangs and use the Broadmeadows factory (or part of it with a scaled back production crew), to convert them to right hand drive for both the Australian and New Zealand markets.

Think about it this way....

There is no shortage or waiting lists for a left hand drive Mustang in the US.
The USA mustang GT sells for around US$35,000 or AUD$48,000.
Ford Australia could probably land (at cost) the Mustang GT in left hand drive for around AUD$30,000.
Spend $10K tops using Australian labour converting them by hand (not production line) and still have dealers sell them for $65K. The right hand drive Components and dash would also be imported by container lots.

While Ford Australia's profit by doing this would not be as great as simply importing the right hand drive cars, it would provide jobs for our car workers, and clear the back log, till the USA factory can catch up.

I'm also sure Ford could secure some government funding for the project, if at least to keep car workers employed a little longer.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 23-05-2016 at 06:38 PM.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #20
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

typical. Only Dowling could turn a success story into a tale of woe
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #21
Tezza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
A prestige brand might get away with that, but ask the typical punter, and they're just as likely to say 'what? wait a year for a Ford??? as if'. I know, its a Mustang and it is somewhat iconic, but that only goes so far when you have as much choice as we do.
But what else are you going to buy for $60k that is comparable.....?
Tezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #22
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I waited nearly 1 day to get my Territory. Had to come on a truck from across Melbourne. The dealer was hopeless. They wouldn't even give me the name of the truck so I could track it in real time.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #23
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Thing is though, people ARE willing to wait a year for a Ford Mustang.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have more orders than cars. It's when you have more cars than orders you have to worry.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #25
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car is positioned differently than in the US - there is virtually no competitor for it on australian market .It is a halo car for the brand and hype is great for that sort of thing. It was never meant to be a huge seller.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #26
polkgs
Vixen GS

I am probably one. I happily waited for nine weeks for my FPV but fourteen months is a bridge too far for me. I love the new Mustang and I strongly suspect I would have signed on the dotted line by now if I knew I could get one in a reasonable time.
polkgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #27
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man is ordering a v8 bright blue one with black roof and black wheels as we speak! Has a 12 month wait, but he doesnt mind waiting at all! Hes happy as its a 2017 colour...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #28
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I wouldn't wait 12 months for a mass produced anything. Now a bespoke hand built exotic car well thats an entirely different story.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #29
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be able to order one from Mars soonish, just add another 6 months.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #30
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The way I see it, if you want something badly enough, if it's been a life long dream to one day own something you always wanted then another 12 - 18 months should not stop you.

How long did you have to wait (or are willing wait) to get the job you always wanted, the house of your dreams, to save enough money for that overseas trip of a life time?

I'm sure most of us have had to wait for things we really wanted at some point in our lives!

Okay it may only be a car, and yes, it's not good that Ford Australia under estimated the public demand of the Mustang... But those not prepared to wait, I think don't really have that burning desire to own a new AU Mustang.

Those that really wanted one, had the foresight and fortitude to put a deposit down the day they were announced, and are happily driving them now rather than whinging!

Besides look on the positive side and what you could do during the long wait;

- Save some more money, so you might have to borrow less to finance the pony, or if you already have the cash... Put it towards the mods

- Clear out that garage ready to house it.

- Watch "A Faster Horse", and every other Mustang movie

- Search and order that perfect "custom Mustang number plate"

- Buy a copy of the history of the Mustang and read it cover to cover.

And before you know it.... 12 months will fly by
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: