Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford Teams Get Ready for the Challenge

Three entrants to the Global Green Challenge from Darwin to Adelaide joined together in the blistering Northern Territory heat today to celebrate their common relationship before hitting the road on Saturday.

The Fiesta ECOnetic team, the Falcon XR6 Turbo team and the Ford-supported University of Michigan Solar Car team, brought their cars and their all their team members together for a complete team photo at Hidden Valley Raceway.

The Ford Fiesta ECOnetic and Falcon XR6T will head off on the economy run at 12:30pm on Saturday October 24, while the Solar Car team leaves on Sunday. Ford Team Manager Justin Lacy expects the two production cars to achieve very good fuel economy throughout the 3000km drive to Adelaide, while Solar Car Race Manager Steve Hechtman is fired up to win this year's Solar Car Event.

"Achieving only 3.7L/100km, the Fiesta ECOnetic is Australia's most fuel efficient car, so we expect it to seriously challenge for the outright title of lowest fuel economy in this event," said Lacy.

"Our Falcon XR6T is our sleeper entrant though – the overall winner will be determined by which team achieves the greatest improvement over their official ADR fuel economy number - and we're set to surprise a few people with just how good the fuel economy is on our Falcon.

"With the XR6T, we'll be proving that you really CAN have your cake and eat it too – hugely enjoyable performance, combined with outstanding fuel economy."

The Solar Car team is enjoying their trip to Australia and determined to win their segment – despite combating very high temperatures.

"The heat in Darwin is definitely unlike what we're used to at home, but we've had a few days to get used to it and we're determined to do our absolute best," said Solar Car Race Manager, Steve Hechtman.

The Global Green Challenge will cover more than 3000km, from Darwin to Adelaide to showcase current and future technologies that are designed to improve fuel economy. Ford has entered a Fiesta ECOnetic (diesel) and a Falcon XR6T in the event.

Follow the progress of the Ford teams on http://twitter.com/FordAPA and http://facebook.com/FordFiesta.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

I'm a little disappointed that a ZF equipped G6 didn't get entered as well. It could have been a great opportunity to outshine the SIDI.

Alas, they can do it with a Turbo Falcon instead.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I smell a rat.

I think Ford has a motive, as far as their concerned, the I6 has already beaten the SIDI, I believe there going to try and show up the SIDI with the I6T....imagine that for a press release? 270kw I6T puts SIDI 3.0 to shame....

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Now lets hope the Michigan uni students report back to Ford in the US to import the xr6t there
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I want Ford t-shirts :'(

Anyways the first days results are available in the Fiesta section of the forum.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
I smell a rat.

I think Ford has a motive, as far as their concerned, the I6 has already beaten the SIDI, I believe there going to try and show up the SIDI with the I6T....imagine that for a press release? 270kw I6T puts SIDI 3.0 to shame....
What a headline. I'd love to see it. I hope it works out as they planned.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

If the 4.0L I6T Outshines SIDI 3.0L for Economy they better take advantage of it for a change..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I'm a little disappointed that a ZF equipped G6 didn't get entered as well. It could have been a great opportunity to outshine the SIDI.

Alas, they can do it with a Turbo Falcon instead.
Asking a bit much for the turbo to do that...but it isn't completely out of the question. I think drive has done the job for them on the 3.0 verus 4.0 debate. Lets move on...that was clearly too easy a test....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Now lets hope the Michigan uni students report back to Ford in the US to import the xr6t there
And the Territory!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah its a risky on re: 4.0T vs 3.0

On one hand they can say they have already proven the n/a version can match it so it was only far to enter the turbo.

Im a bit skeptical that it will beat it, perhaps they will be just about even, but as above if it does look out!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I want Ford t-shirts :'(
Indeed. I'd also love that blue Territory Turbo to go with it! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post