Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
BlackLS

Default DBA Slotted going in LS

Gday guys,

This weekend I hope to put in some DBA slotted rotors in. After waiting 3 weeks only to find out Bursons lost my contact number, I am going to pick them up on Saturday morning.

They seem to be the a floating rotor so they should be easy to pop on (ie no hub to pull etc)

I'll keep this thread updated.

Chris

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

sweet....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
BlackLS

Funny thing is they were almost half the price Ford were asking for the standard rotors.
Old 19-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

You picking them up at Silverwater?
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
simonr
Focus Rookie

How much!?

Are you putting em on yourself? are they the same size as your stockers??
Old 19-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
How much!?

Are you putting em on yourself? are they the same size as your stockers??
$112 Each, putting them in myself, and same size as stock (but better design and steel used)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
You picking them up at Silverwater?
Nah C'town represent.
1/7 Mill Rd
Campbelltown 2560
Ph: (02) 4626 6885
Fax: (02) 4626 6818
Email: campbelltown@burson.com.au

Here's a Campbelltown joke for you:

How do you know your in Campbelltown?

When you drive past a shopping trolley on cinder blocks missing its wheels and burnt out.

Old 19-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
$112 Each, putting them in myself, and same size as stock (but better design and steel used)

Nah C'town represent.
1/7 Mill Rd
Campbelltown 2560
Ph: (02) 4626 6885
Fax: (02) 4626 6818
Email: campbelltown@burson.com.au

Here's a Campbelltown joke for you:

How do you know your in Campbelltown?

When you drive past a shopping trolley on cinder blocks missing its wheels and burnt out.

rofl..!!!!!

that and when you pass a car with EVERY color in the rainbow is a different panel....and ppl are pushing hit hehe

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

out of interest how many Kms did you get out of the stock rotors?
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
out of interest how many Kms did you get out of the stock rotors?
They were just over legal thickness at 60,000kms, now with 78,000kms. But I heard at the Ford dealer they normally do them at 45,000kms especially autos.
Old 20-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow !!

They must be a soft material... Be ready for a heavy pedal... Or simply cange pad compound if they need changing...

then again I used to get about 1000Km out of a set of RDA's on the rally car which I thought was outstanding..
Old 21-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
BlackLS

I did the fronts today, was gonna do the back but snapped the 13mm ring spanner, just purchased a replacement Repco branded one. Don't buy cheap tools.

Braking is soo much better, feels a lot more confident slowing down and does so quicker.

Pics in a sec...
Old 21-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
BlackLS

Old 21-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
BlackLS

Old 22-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done LS.... Great job..
Old 22-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
BlackLS

&#$%! I just rounded the one of the rear caliper braket bolts :'( The damage I did yesterday with the the cheap ring spanner failing on this bolt now made it impossible to take off.

I'll probably just replace the whole hub/rotor assembly instead of trying to weld and bash around the brake caliper, the rear left hub is bent anyways from tapping a gutter a while back.

Rear discs will probably take a week or so now

/Not happy
Old 23-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #16
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rounded bolts suck. Can't hammer on a smaller socket and get it off?

It amuses me that the LS Focus has front rotors with a diameter almost identical to my EL. ELs are so under-braked.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #17
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Rounded bolts suck. Can't hammer on a smaller socket and get it off?

It amuses me that the LS Focus has front rotors with a diameter almost identical to my EL. ELs are so under-braked.
The brake line is 35mm from the bracket bolt so no go with a socket and breaker bar. I didn't really want to bleed my brakes from taking the line off but if it comes to that :(

Its also amusing that we only get the base model brake package in the UK, where the upper 2.0L petrol models get something like 300mm front/280 rear. My old EF gave some pretty hair raising braking performances. Nothing like pushing the brakes to the floor and all thats happening is smell and smoke.
Old 23-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Next step i would suggest would be getting the goodyear eagle NCT5 off the car.

I had them on my fiesta, not a terribly impressive tyre.

Hope you solve the brake problems
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Next step i would suggest would be getting the goodyear eagle NCT5 off the car.

I had them on my fiesta, not a terribly impressive tyre.

Hope you solve the brake problems
LOL they were gone almost 50,000kms ago, the last few mm of tread are melted on the tarmac in the staging lane at WSID

I've got Maxxis MZ-01 on the front (handles better in the wet than the NCTs did in the dry) and some crappy Falkens on the back.'
Old 23-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #20
20focus05
I wanna XR5

they should last longer. The slotted discs are ment to be better than the cross drilled ones. I did a couple of sets of cross drilled for a few customers and when you give them a flogging they tend to crack DBA said the slotted will take more of a flogging.
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #21
20focus05
I wanna XR5

got to say I have done almost 60k in ours and only 80% wear on original pads but it is a manual, I dont use the brakes much. If any of you guys know the way down to yankalilla south of adelaide I dont use them much there unless I come up on someone. lol
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #22
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
I've got Maxxis MZ-01 on the front (handles better in the wet than the NCTs did in the dry) and some crappy Falkens on the back.'
Do you mind if I ask where you found the Maxxis, what size you got and price? Also, do you mean the MA-Z1? Not much info on them in Focus sizes on the web. Plenty of good feedback from the SS Commodore and drifting community though.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #23
Penko13

nice work, love the brakes.

do you notice a major difference in stopping power or just that they continue to stop with no sign of brake fade

cheers
Xforce 4-1 Extractors, Xforce Cat Back Exaust System, K&N Performance Cold Air Intake With Pod Filter, Lowered All Round With Pedders Sports Ryder Suspension, 18" Zenetti Wheels, Sony 4 Channel Amp, Pioneer 6/9's, 12" MTX Sub
Penko13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #24
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penko13
nice work, love the brakes.

do you notice a major difference in stopping power or just that they continue to stop with no sign of brake fade

cheers
Heaps of extra initial bite and it feels like it just stops harder.

I recon its silly not going for slotted, there significantly cheaper than Ford OEMs, better braking and probably better rotor life due to tougher material.

They look pretty awesome as well.
Old 25-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
Do you mind if I ask where you found the Maxxis, what size you got and price? Also, do you mean the MA-Z1? Not much info on them in Focus sizes on the web. Plenty of good feedback from the SS Commodore and drifting community though.
Yeah MA-Z1 ;), You can get them from Bob Jane, normally we have 205/50/17 on the zetec rims, but I put on 215/45/17. Speedo is still accurate, 2007 Wheels tyre test rated them pretty well, they were mid-high range in the dry and in the top 2 for the wet tests and were the best overall. Nice price ~$165 each. In the wet they grip like there in the dry.
Old 25-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #26
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
they should last longer. The slotted discs are ment to be better than the cross drilled ones. I did a couple of sets of cross drilled for a few customers and when you give them a flogging they tend to crack DBA said the slotted will take more of a flogging.
Unless your racing and replacing rotors after every event, its not worth going cross drilled. There weak as.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #27
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
&#$%! I just rounded the one of the rear caliper braket bolts :'( The damage I did yesterday with the the cheap ring spanner failing on this bolt now made it impossible to take off.

I'll probably just replace the whole hub/rotor assembly instead of trying to weld and bash around the brake caliper, the rear left hub is bent anyways from tapping a gutter a while back.

Rear discs will probably take a week or so now

/Not happy
Was curious how the DBA's now feel after a week or 2 of bedding in?

Also, have the rears in yet?
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #28
BlackLS

Got the rears in yesterday actually. Replaced the hub while there, ended up bashing a socket onto the rounded bracket bolt after removing the caliper via caliper pins ;)

Rear calipers are a pain to widen, you have to bleed the brakes for the piston to move out? There must be some sort of bleed valve.

Braking feels a LOT more confident, its just got that "bite" now. Almost got whiplash bedding them in lol. Dust is a slight trade-off, as well as probably increased pad wear but no biggie.

Definitely a recommended mod, plus they look so cool
Old 06-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #29
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Good to hear its all done now - definitely a mod I'm planning on doing on my LS in the next 12-18 months.

FYI: European-Parts have some interesting new goodies on their website, including some cool stuff from a brand called Code:Red. Worth a look
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #30
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My old EF gave some pretty hair raising braking performances. Nothing like pushing the brakes to the floor and all thats happening is smell and smoke.
LOL, thats awesome isn' it.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post