Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Benjamin Smith

Default Rim Warrenty

Hey what do you guys think about getting Warrenty on a cracked rim, the tyre has no damage and I haven't hit a pot hole since I last check it which was Thursday just gone?

Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rim Warrenty

do you think it is a manufacture fault in the rim? is it a ford rim or after market?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

To get anywhere warranty wise you'd probably need to prove it was a manufacturing fault by doing a metallurgical examination of the crack fracture surfaces. otherwise I think you have fat chance. Unless the manufacturer admits there are problems with those rims.

A metallurgical examination consists of cutting out the crack area, splitting the cracked parts apart without damaging the fracture surfaces, and looking under a microscope for fatigue striations (lines on the crack surface perpendicular to the crack direction through the thickness) propagating from a crack initiation point such as some porosity in the casting, machining mark etc. On the other hand, an overload caused by a pothole etc. would show that on the crack surface (lack of striations).

You could then show this to the manufacturer for proof of faulty manufacture. Not sure about these days but years ago some aftermarket rims used to be prone for having casting or other manufacturing problems.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Benjamin Smith

It's a XR50 18 inch rim, once I get photo bucket app to work on my ipad I will post it
Old 23-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Benjamin Smith

Old 23-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think these days you have a low chance of getting anywhere especially on a rim

And could be old damage from a pot hole in the past causing it to deteriorate

Sent from my HTC ARIA using Tapatalk II.IV.X
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Take it back to the place you bought it from and see what they say.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
hoodedaxeman

Take it back and ask.
I don't like your chances of a favorable outcome though.
hoodedaxeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the white stuff that is on the rim and tire?

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87 View Post
What's the white stuff that is on the rim and tire?
bird ploop lol
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I,d put money on it it's copped a wack even if the tyre was,nt damaged, if they don't want to come to the party, you might be able to get it repaired.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

*Spell Check* WARRANTY!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Benjamin Smith

Yer just noticed that warranty because a rant is what's going to happen if it doesn't go under warranty, the white stuff is the chalk stuff Bridgestone put on it after I was getting a slow leak checked
Old 23-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Assuming you bought the car new with those wheels on it I dont see why it wouldnt be covered?
Old 23-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Benjamin Smith

Yer the same wheels with the colour that made me buy the car, sunburst and the darker rims
Old 23-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

No hope for warranty....

It's a common problem caused through low profile tyres and our wonderful roads.

IMA, I see at least 1 every couple of months and the only option is have the wheel repaired at your own expense...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The photo shows the crack has opened up, which means the rim has been distorted due to impact damage. Therefore no hope of warranty.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #18
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All us guys with WS Fiesta Zetecs bent all four rims within a year of buying the cars. It's a well known problem with the Fiesta's and Ford will hear nothing of it... So no, you have no chance in hell . One of mine was bent (wobble) about two inches. So been there done that, even with a rim design that's known to be faulty they turn deaf real fast whenever it comes to money :p. I guess if they pay for one they have to pay for all of them and there's hundreds of thousands of bent Fiesta wheels around.

I just ended up buying some better wheels and haven't had a problem again.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Something's hit it. The white marks don't look like bird poop to me.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #20
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The tyre shops mark bent wheels with that white stuff . Any rim that bends or cracks before a tyre blows is a bad rim imho.
Old 24-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looking at that rim close up, if i did`nt know better i would think someone has tried to straighten the rim with a rubber mallet???
Old 24-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
All us guys with WS Fiesta Zetecs bent all four rims within a year of buying the cars. It's a well known problem with the Fiesta's and Ford will hear nothing of it... So no, you have no chance in hell . One of mine was bent (wobble) about two inches. So been there done that, even with a rim design that's known to be faulty they turn deaf real fast whenever it comes to money :p. I guess if they pay for one they have to pay for all of them and there's hundreds of thousands of bent Fiesta wheels around.

I just ended up buying some better wheels and haven't had a problem again.
This problem isn't confined to just Fords.....Nor is it just confined to factory rims.....So you don't have to feel hard done by....Not too many wheel manufacturers warranty this sort of damage

The white chalk is tyre chalk....Us tyre monkeys use it to mark causes of leaks.....Marking the spot on the rim makes it easier to find it a hurry

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 24-02-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 24-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
looking at that rim close up, if i did`nt know better i would think someone has tried to straighten the rim with a rubber mallet???

What has probably happened is, the tyre monkey has wiped the road grime away from the area in the water with his hand and then marked the crack with the tyre chalk.....Rubbing the road grime leaves a dark smear like this..

Tyre chalk doesn't seem to write too well on road grime and having to make it easier to find the damage makes this process a necessary evil....

Old 24-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
The photo shows the crack has opened up, which means the rim has been distorted due to impact damage. Therefore no hope of warranty.
so a rim under warranty is allowed to fall to bits from a pothole?

i know Bob Jane Tmarts have a warranty clause that their rim will be covered under warranty from pothole damage only if your took every precaution to avoid it.

It all comes down to common sense.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in a small town and even my local tyre shop say they average one cracked or buckled wheel per day that's bad enough to not be . In the end our roads are too weak to hold the heavy loads we need on them because of a lack of a rail network. But you'd hope the car companies would use a strengthend rim to compensate for the roads. I buckled one rim more than an inch sideways on a whole no more than 3 inches deep and I was doing only 70kmh.
Old 24-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only 3 inches deep , i`m thinking that is a decent old wack , i think the problem is less about the rim and more about the profile of the tyre fitted, before all these low profile tyres came out rim damage was much less heard of.
Old 24-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

another cause is people running too low pressure in their tyres

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
only if your took every precaution to avoid it.

Here is their out from that clause....You can swear black and blue you tried to avoid, but there is no way you can avoid every single pothole....

Old 24-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

a good engerneering place should be able to fix it...probally $600 for a new rim from ford....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
fonfe
RS shop's technician

Green foam - fiesta wheels are known to be soft. Same goes for focus RS wheels. I replaced a buckled one that had done less than 2000 miles before.

Cracked wheels owner (sorry forgot your username) where the roads are crap buy your self some steel rims. Far cheaper to replace and I have yet to see a cracked one. They just bend but it takes one hell of a hit to bend em.