Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Selling a car from QLD to ACT

So i just took a deposit on my car that is registered in QLD but i live in ACT. I only just moved here 2 weeks ago so i hadn't changed it over yet. I am wondering what the process is now? Do i get a registration certificate from ACT and go to the transport office with the new owner and change it over there? Can i take my QLD plates off and just sell him the car without any registration? This is what the new owner wants to do. How does that work with ownership?

cheers, Fordo

fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
jamies

Default Re: Selling a car from QLD to ACT

You can sell the car unregistered and you keep the plates. Its up to the new owner to get temporary insurance and a permit to drive the car home. I have done this before.
Old 23-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

ok, no worries, thanks mate
Old 23-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
So i just took a deposit on my car that is registered in QLD but i live in ACT. I only just moved here 2 weeks ago so i hadn't changed it over yet. I am wondering what the process is now? Do i get a registration certificate from ACT and go to the transport office with the new owner and change it over there? Can i take my QLD plates off and just sell him the car without any registration? This is what the new owner wants to do. How does that work with ownership?

cheers, Fordo
Remember the car is still registered in your name until you actually deregister it with Transport and hand in the plates or in the case of personalised plates disconnect them from that registration.

Translation, if you just take the plates off and let him wander off and he crashes and kills someone you are in a whole world of hurt.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Does the buyer know it's going to be unregistered? He might have an expectation that you will be selling him a ACT registered vehicle?
Old 23-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ok, cheers for the replys fellas. Going to go down on monday with him to the transport office and hand in my plates. He will them get a permit to drive the car to get the roady and ID inspection. It would be pretty easy for him to get a permit to do the rego and get a check wouldnt it? I'll also do a reciept up stating the time so i can't get burned if something happens.

Long story short i was going to organise everything by friday next week, but the buyer isnt happy with that and wants it on Monday. This is the only way he can have the car on monday.
Old 23-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I'll also do a reciept up stating the time so i can't get burned if something happens.
Here ya go, one ready to print. Make two or get a copy for both of you.http://www.mynrma.com.au/media/car_sellers_receipt.pdf
Old 23-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Does the buyer know it's going to be unregistered? He might have an expectation that you will be selling him a ACT registered vehicle?
To quote the OP...........
"Can i take my QLD plates off and just sell him the car without any registration? This is what the new owner wants to do."
Old 23-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. sell him the car with no number plates at all

2. give him a receipt incl your details: name, address, sale price, date

3. hand in the plates at your local motor registry in ACT and get a receipt for them

4. if there's any rego left on the car send the receipt, or a copy,to q'land trans and ask for a refund of any unexpired rego
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
peterljohnson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Here ya go, one ready to print. Make two or get a copy for both of you.http://www.mynrma.com.au/media/car_sellers_receipt.pdf
I would absolutely make sure that I had the TIME of transfer of ownership of the car on the Seller's receipt for transfer of ownership. A witness to the sale is always a good idea.

Recently, a relative in NSW sold a car without plates to a Victorian buyer. On the day of the purchase '**** happened' by means of expensive parking infringements close to the seller's home, so the seller got the bluey in the mail. Unfortunately, the seller didnt have a TIME of sale established which made it harder to establish innocence.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: