Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
VICFPV

Default Power war is on

http://www.caradvice.com.au/215837/m...med-australia/

AMG turns the wick up for OZ cars.
Who wants a supercar now?
4 second 0-100 and 11 second quarters for a family car.

VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default Re: Power war is on

And the price tag on said cars is?

Also you have to let wheels test it as they are the ones that only achieved 4.5sec to 100kl with the FPV GT RSPEC

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or buy a 2nd hand B series T -throw $5,000 at it in custom tune, injectors/ pump ECT and have high 11's for under $30 grand.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

supercar scare round 2 we soon will all drive zee prius
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Might spark another power war (hoping it does), but chances are they won't cos the general public wouldnt give..............
Old 21-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah, cant ban aussie muscle cars, now that we have massivly powered german brands ECT.

+ safety regulations are much much higher with airbags/abs/traction control/ stability control, curtain/side airbags/ collision avoidance/ blind spot indicators. ECt
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

love the E63, but then i'd rather the CLS 63
Pity the prices here are outrageous :(
Old 21-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did the public care last time, or was it just a slow news cycle
makes sense to bring something like that out to kick off the v8 supercar career, cashed up bogans driving the german
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Family car"...

Only families who have what would have to be close to two hundred grand (the E300 Hybrid is $115,000...can't imagine it would be within spitting distance of that...the "AMG" badge alone adds huge dollars) would consider this a "family car".

The article touches briefly on puzzlement as to why the beautiful E-Class Estate wagon is "slow selling"...a hint would be that because of taxes, tariffs, luxury car tax, and our requirement for RHD only, cars that in Germany are seen as nothing more than ordinary cars or taxis need to be sold here as premium luxury cars...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
VICFPV

Could it be that AMG Oz are feeling the pressure coming from the locals ie GT or GTS that will or already has that much?
Ok it is chalk and cheese but the marketplace maybe tightening up in the super sedan space and the need to stay ahead of the locals in power.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

zeeee germans... no thanks...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF View Post
or buy a 2nd hand B series T -throw $5,000 at it in custom tune, injectors/ pump ECT and have high 11's for under $30 grand.
Power isn't everything. Refinement plays a big role, particularly in a large sedan. That's where the Germans have it in spades. The refinement of their cars, the cabin, the drivetrain etc is always first class.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the price of the current Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Estate ........... $244,500.00
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
VICFPV

Any car that has been built to handle that type of power levels and comes with factory backing is refined.
The falcon is refined and is not too far behind what the germans have.
Got to keep in mind the R & D done on the cars and their R & D budgets allocated. Also the price point the car is positioned at.
I am sure if the consumer paid 200k for a falcon then they would get their moneys worth of refinement and development.
I think we should be proud of falcon in terms of refinement as it has come along way since 30 years ago.
Can't wait for the next update of the falcon. I am sure it will be a cracker of a car in terms of development and refinement.
And if you still don't think the falcon is refined then go and spend some time with a german car and then go and compare it to the falcon.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85 View Post
Power isn't everything. Refinement plays a big role, particularly in a large sedan. That's where the Germans have it in spades. The refinement of their cars, the cabin, the drivetrain etc is always first class.
i look at this video of a henry being given a bit of a squirt around a track, it seems ,smooth , quite, powerful, good handling/road manners, quite the opposite of your remark, plenty of refinement in my eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4IeQeowuc&NR=1
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Uwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
love the E63, but then i'd rather the CLS 63
Pity the prices here are outrageous :(

My thoughts exactly. (NEW) CLS63 all day everyday
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
zeeee germans... no thanks...
Don't mention ze war!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
supercar scare round 2 we soon will all drive zee prius
Who are you? Evan Green?

High powered cars have been available for some time in Australia - You may remember in 1971 the Fastest 4-door car in the World was produced here???

Anyways - just because I love statistics - here's a couple of cars that were around 5 years ago that are similar to the OP Merc

1) 2008 Audi RS6 - Twin Turbo V10, 426kw/650nm, $262k new - good for 4.5sec to 100km/h.
2) 2008 Mercedes AMG E63 - N/A V8, 378kw/630nm, $238k new - good for 4.5sec to 100km/h
3) 2008 Ferrari F430 - N/A V8, 360kw/465nm, $434k new - good for 4.1 sec to 100 km/h
4) 2008 HSV GTS (E Series) - N/A V8 - 325kw/550nm - $80k new - good for 5.2 sec to 100km/h.

Deliberately haven't used a Ford in this list - because the new R-Spec GT is quicker and cheaper than above examples - and it's available today.

High powered cars have been available to high-flyers for a long time. Even standard every day cars can be modified to be uber-quick for a few $$$...

For less than $50k you could get a car that behaves well on the street, is safe enough for the wife to drive the kids around, and could slam out a sub 11second 1/4 mile / 4 second 100km/h run all day. And i'm sure there are cheaper ways to go quick too...

Maybe your comment was tongue in cheek? But my response is serious.

Segments of the new car market want power, speed, safety, and they don't care about the cost.

Why ban them?
Old 22-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
VICFPV

Super cars are here to stay. Me thinks.
Technology will enbale them to stay.

The cars designed for their homeland. Ie germans for autobhans and oz cars for our freeways and potholes.
Old 22-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Yep, cause they are here to stay. No problem with that as there are way too many available now. Problem being, they could always tax them for the good of the community, save the children and protect the elderly. High power tax is more feasible these days than a luxury tax as it fits in with the 'Good for you' scheme of taxation (Smokes, Alcohol, Speed taxes).

PS: Hope the pollies aren't reading this!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

zee Germans just want more money, I doubt that AMG are concerned with FPVs. Entirely different markets in Australia due to us getting bent over and raped for any car that isn't made in this country. So while the GT's are good 70-80k cars, the only people buying a new E63 or C63 AMG are people with a spare 200k sitting in the bank, you wont steal many FPV/HSV buyers away. Just compete with the high end Beemers and Audis.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
Angeldust

lol... what we need are cheap chinese 'supercars'.. ie 30K ferrari knockoffs etc lol..

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
lol... what we need are cheap chinese 'supercars'.. ie 30K ferrari knockoffs etc lol..
You mean like cheap Chinese computers, televisions and just about everything else?

I remember when Japanese and Korean cars were very average in performance and quality.

Now there are ISF, LFA, GTR, Genesis et. al.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, 0-100 times and quarter mile runs are vitally important, because everyone only uses their car on a dragstrip...

The last time I actually saw someone get into a $200,000-plus exotic supercar was in Brisbane...and I reckon inside that expensive tailored suit he was wearing, if he wasn't close to 80 years old I'll eat my hat.

AMG stuff might be popular in Europe...but it's half the damn price there or less than what we pay...look at the many comparisons of, for one make, Porsche and what they pay in the USA and what we pay here for the exact same car.

People...ordinary people with a good wage...might actually consider one of these AMG's or whatever as a family car. Here, they're expensive scarecely-used toys for investment bankers and doddering old millionaires to gently cruise down to the coffee shop on a sunny sunday morning...

I would lay lefty on the chopping block and predict that no potential FPV or HSV driver will even test drive an AMG, much less seriously consider buying one as an "alternative" to an FPV or HSV...

In Australia, they're an interesting technical exercise, but so far into the stratosphere costwise that you will never see one driven in anger by a talented younger driver as intended.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #25
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

2011G6E - I hope you didn't really want your lefty.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #26
Chopped
as in chopped

I know two previous HSV owners who now own AMGs.
The C63 AMG has been very successful for Mercedes.

I wouldn't be betting any nuts on more owners doing the same thing.
Old 23-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
VICFPV

From my experiences FPV, SRT8 and HSV are the first step then when they have improved their wealth they get into the AMG and the other germans. Or go straight for AMG.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #28
VICFPV

It will get really interesting when the locals have clawed back the power gap from AMG. Would it mean that AMG C63 starts losing sales to the locals due to price.
Regardless of price AMG C63 and the FPV HSV and SRT8 are in the same market competing for sales. The difference is how much a consumer can afford or their desire to own one.
I think it was a very clever of AMG to enter the V8 supercars as a private entry so it doesn't upset their brand status and prestige to its consumers in OZ. But it will also give them inroads to the local heros ie FPV HSV.
This segment has gone from diehard fans to what ever suits the pocket and will be on equal terms in performance and thrill factors.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICFPV View Post
It will get really interesting when the locals have clawed back the power gap from AMG. Would it mean that AMG C63 starts losing sales to the locals due to price.
Regardless of price AMG C63 and the FPV HSV and SRT8 are in the same market competing for sales. The difference is how much a consumer can afford or their desire to own one.
I think it was a very clever of AMG to enter the V8 supercars as a private entry so it doesn't upset their brand status and prestige to its consumers in OZ. But it will also give them inroads to the local heros ie FPV HSV.
This segment has gone from diehard fans to what ever suits the pocket and will be on equal terms in performance and thrill factors.
The badge and price itself will always prevent that from happening. If you're ubersuccesful and wipe your *** with money are you going to pot around in some mum and dad family taxi with a loud exhaust like a HSV/FPV just like everyone else or something that has more tech than a spacecraft and lets the world know your ubersuccesful.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #30
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
wipe your *** with money
Nah.....the older stuff from years ago that was more paper like was ok but this plasticised stuff don't cut it at all....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: