Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Insurance company change?

Hey guys, I'm coming up for insurance next month, just wondering if its worth looking around, as some companies have multi policy deals etc.

I'm just JustCar Insurance, which is cheap, only about $1600 a year for the Focus but we've got 3 cars with AAMI and the house with AAMI too.

I've noticed NRMA members get discounts from another forum post, would it be worth switching all the insurances with one company?

Are there any good deals getting around?

Thanks

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
BF-2K7

Default Re: Insurance company change?

......... always pays to shop around

dont think you will get savings by 'putting all your eggs in one basket', insurance companies are out to make profits for their shareholders

I have several vehicles insured with different companies

for example AAMI may not be the best for my motorbike but great for my Van (even if I bundle them all with them)

so use your interweb and look around and call them (instead of filling in an online form) - a personal call is a better tool to negotiate a better deal!

I got $187 off the online price by calling personally!

good luck!
BF-2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Go get your quotes, nothing to lose but I was shocked when I did as all the quotes from others I got doubled or more than the one I have with my insurer which is AAMI.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You should always re-quote any policy you are renewing. Always. Even with the same company!

House insurance, car, boat, travel insurance, greenslip, etc etc etc.

Beware of multi policy discounts, they had a winge fest on talkback a few weeks ago where a lot of NRMA customers did not get a multi-policy discount they assumed they would get by default, why, because they didn't ask for it!

I got a greenslip renewal and the same company was $70 cheaper if I ran it trough the online calculator as a new customer... explain that one!

Sure, you may get 5, 7.5 or 10% off a policy if 2,4 or 4 products are bundled, but what have you saved if they are at the top end of the market already? Probably nothing!

As for the Focus Damo, when I quote the insurance for that beast the prices range from around $850 to $1450.... I think we are with AAMI as well.

Interesting that calling for a quote generated a greater saving... generally the website will say that it is more if you took out this policy over the phone. I guess if you had the time you could always do online quotes, save them for later than do the same on the phone?? Would probably make the calls first so the operator cannot see that you have already got a saved online quote after entering in your details.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having all my policies with NRMA I get a discount, which means when I get a renewal and shop around I generally don't find a better deal than what I already have. Doesn't mean I'm getting the best deal, just when quoting a single policy I can't beat my multi policy discount. Perhaps having all my policies with GIO for example might be a cheaper total.

Only way might be to quote ALL your policies at once with another insurer.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
As for the Focus Damo, when I quote the insurance for that beast the prices range from around $850 to $1450.... I think we are with AAMI as well.
I cop young driver tax, haha.

It was actually cheaper to insure the Focus than the Fiesta, was paying $2500 a year for my Fiesta when I got it, was $2200 or something when I got the Focus, then I totaled it 2 weeks later with a not at fault accident, but I claimed on my insurance which is why AAMI wanted to put it up to $3500 on my new Focus.

Apparently I should have claimed on his insurance or something instead. We both had full comp insurance on our cars.

So I said GTFO and went with JustCar (which is underwritten by AAMI anyway), for $1800, then it come down to $1600.

I'm going to shop around, problem is my car is modified.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
El Jay
Starter Motor

That could be a problem since most insurance companies are targeting the mum and dad groups, and don't usually want to know about modified cars.
I know RACQ were fine about 1 or 2 safety related mods (rollbar) but when it got to performance items it was a no go.
Best thing to do is get an online quote and negotiate that for JustCar when it's due, rather than paying the renewal price (it always seems to be a worse figure, due to some 'new member discount' rubbish).
If you do find another company willing to insure, I'm sure you know to out the approved mods in WRITING with them before taking out a policy.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Hey guys, I'm coming up for insurance next month, just wondering if its worth looking around, as some companies have multi policy deals etc.

I'm just JustCar Insurance, which is cheap, only about $1600 a year for the Focus but we've got 3 cars with AAMI and the house with AAMI too.

I've noticed NRMA members get discounts from another forum post, would it be worth switching all the insurances with one company?

Are there any good deals getting around?

Thanks
You can't insure with NRMA in Vic, it's RACV in Vic.

Only way to find out is call one of 100 odd insurance companies and get a quote.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I cop young driver tax, haha.

It was actually cheaper to insure the Focus than the Fiesta, was paying $2500 a year for my Fiesta when I got it, was $2200 or something when I got the Focus, then I totaled it 2 weeks later with a not at fault accident, but I claimed on my insurance which is why AAMI wanted to put it up to $3500 on my new Focus.

Apparently I should have claimed on his insurance or something instead. We both had full comp insurance on our cars.

So I said GTFO and went with JustCar (which is underwritten by AAMI anyway), for $1800, then it come down to $1600.

I'm going to shop around, problem is my car is modified.
Who ever told you about the price increase, because you claimed on your own policy is speaking rubbish. Not at fault claims do not increase the premium with AAMI only at fault claims do. My expirence is 2 and half years writing AAMI insurance policy's.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Who ever told you about the price increase, because you claimed on your own policy is speaking rubbish. Not at fault claims do not increase the premium with AAMI only at fault claims do. My expirence is 2 and half years writing AAMI insurance policy's.
They sent me a new insurance premium on the replacement car for $3500, up from $2200 after the accident?

One of my friends works at AAMI insurance, said I did it wrong, conflicting advice :O
Old 10-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They sent me a new insurance premium on the replacement car for $3500, up from $2200 after the accident?

One of my friends works at AAMI insurance, said I did it wrong, conflicting advice :O
The reason for the price increase is the type of car, not the claim. If it was at fault then you would have lost your rating and the price would of increased. No idea why your friend said its because you lodged a claim with AAMI.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The reason for the price increase is the type of car, not the claim. If it was at fault then you would have lost your rating and the price would of increased. No idea why your friend said its because you lodged a claim with AAMI.
Both 2010 TDCI0 Focus, one $2200 the other $3500 down to type of car? They're both the same car, right down to colour and options.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Definitely always double check your premiums to see if you can get a better deal. In 2011, I paid $516 for my XR50. Then when my renewal came last year, it went up to $550. So I did an online quote again with the same company and it was only $500. So I rang them and they said yes, renew (actually create a new policy) online and it will only cost you $500.That's with RACQ.

Suncorp also does it cheaper if you do it online.

My wife's WRX and our house and contents are with Shannons. They wanted $900 for my XR50. Suffice to say RACQ got my business instead. Multi poplicy discount doesn't always win!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #14
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

Thumbs up Re: Insurance company change?

I was 22 and I brought a ba xr6 falcon with a few small mods. With 1 at fault claim. I ran into the back of an old Asian lady who stopped about 100 meters shy of a roundabout.
Anyway I went at RACT they want 6k a year for insurances, commonwealth bank wouldn't touch me, someone else wanted 4k and I thought I was up the creek!
But aami took me on for $1400. They have be very good to me every since

I do recommend them
They are great with getting your car fixed, they have only fixed mine once after a old man backed into me but it was in the shop the next day and did an amazing job!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i usually run bomb insurance (3rd party), probably a tad risky as it just covers the other car, good incentive to drive carefully, but very cheap.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm quite happy with aami. They give me a pretty reasonable value for my xr8 and at the cheapest price. Valued at 16500 and I only paid 790 last year. 850 the year before. And that's with me being under 25

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car insurance companies, other than the big 3or 4, are constantly seeking to buy market share with substantially lower quotes.
The BIG brands make good profits even after huge ad budgets cos most simply auto renew, not bothering to shop around.
After a hail damage claim fm Allianz ( not recoverable ) I saved 300 with Coles (600 v 900) as they ignored the claim.
If yr into mods it's a different matter particularly if under 25 and or prior claims. Companies are cherry picking the lowest risk.
At renewal time all bets are off!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV

Last edited by ryeman; 10-02-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
BF-2K7

the devil is in the detail too

I have had 'bomb' insurance for my vehicles under $3000 (wasnt worth comprehensive insurance for them)

however since purchasing vehicles around the 10K+ I have insisted on agreed value as I was caught with 'market value' rates before in a 'not at fault' accident

I was hit by a stop sign runner that T boned my Econovan 'bomb' (no comprehensive), her insurance wrote off the van and only offered $1200 compensation. I argued that that would not cover a replacement vehicle and challenged them to find a rego'd roadworthy van of the same age and km's for that value. After several phone calls and threats of legal action against her and insurance company I finally settled.

So be aware that you wont get what you think without agreed value.

My freelander was stolen last year was paid out agreed value (less excess) no problems for total loss

Premiums maybe higher but well worth it

Just food for thought .........
BF-2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Insurance renewal notice came in the mail today

$1598, agreed value $22,800.

I did an online quote with the same company:

$1660, agreed value $20,000.

WTF?
Old 13-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just Cars "If it's modified" are now seeming to charged modified car owners an extra $1500 excess if that have a stack.

So the company that boasts looking after modified car enthusiasts is now stinging them more the everyone else. I started a thread about it not long back.

I basically told them to get ****** and shopped around, Shannon's seemed to stand out as the only one practicing what they preach so they got both cars and home and contents plus anything else I ever need to insure.

Can't recommend their service enough.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Both 2010 TDCI0 Focus, one $2200 the other $3500 down to type of car? They're both the same car, right down to colour and options.
Not wanting to contradict xisled but I always thought that if you lodge a claim, regardless of liability, your premium will go up (not by as much as $1300 though), however if found found at fault then your NCB is affected (unless it's protected).
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
AU Mont
Banned

post removed
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Just Cars "If it's modified" are now seeming to charged modified car owners an extra $1500 excess if that have a stack.

So the company that boasts looking after modified car enthusiasts is now stinging them more the everyone else. I started a thread about it not long back.

I basically told them to get ****** and shopped around, Shannon's seemed to stand out as the only one practicing what they preach so they got both cars and home and contents plus anything else I ever need to insure.

Can't recommend their service enough.
Do they cover under 25s?
Old 16-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure, worth giving them a call and actually speaking to some one about your situation though. These online quote companies are worth nothing. If they do do under 25's then I'm sure they will look after you.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 16-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Might be worth your while checking out Coles Insurance (Wesfarmers)
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My expirence is 2 and half years writing AAMI insurance policy's.
Don't want to start a poo fight.
But why do AAMI say you have choice of repairer and then make it extremely difficult to do so?
Valet bookings with no quotes within a couple days, non AAMI valet's can be weeks or even months of waiting.
Your own appointed repairers tendering against each other and the cheapest getting the job?
Third line enforcing the use of your company owned repair shops which is ilegal in Australia.
Why is Just cars adopting the AAMI stance and Shannons going down the same line?

All I'm going to say, is shop your policy by all means, but and a big but at that. Understand what you get for each policy, Australians have a tendency to shop the cheapest policy expecting silver service.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Might be worth your while checking out Coles Insurance (Wesfarmers)

Really? All those last minute/online insurance companies only insure 60 year olds driving Hyundai's with rating ones. Why would a 25 year old car enthusiast waste his time?

I tired 5 or 6 of them before catching on. I think they should stick to groceries and destroying independent servos..

This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive been with Shannons for ages and recently switched to AAMI. I am yet to claim but AAMi seem good and on my T2 where atleast 40% cheaper with the same options!

In saying that I have my Alfa with Shannons still, they do a good job there.

But for your daily IMO AAMI seem to offer the best all round..I even jacked up my excess to not much and it chopped about $100p/a off.

I guess there is a reason why Shannons sponsors the TCM's etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I had a massive argument and fight with my case manager at AAMI Bendigo when it came time for them to pay for my new car, so on principle I really do not want to go directly through them again.

Very poor customer service.
Old 16-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Really? All those last minute/online insurance companies only insure 60 year olds driving Hyundai's with rating ones. Why would a 25 year old car enthusiast waste his time?

I tired 5 or 6 of them before catching on. I think they should stick to groceries and destroying independent servos..
There's no harm in asking, I have been with NRMA for years and just recently had my home and contents policy renewal arrive and surprise surprise it has gone up yet again and is now $940 from $570 only 3 years ago, every time we have a natural disaster somewhere up goes the premium so much so that a quick online quote through Wesfarmers (Coles) comes it at under $600 with slightly higher coverage as well. As long as you do your homework there are savings to be had and I was only offering him a possible alternative which may save him money !!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post