Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
goldfire

Default remove rear rotors

Hi guys,

I know this not meant to be here but pls don't move it, atleast not yet. I really need some help with this and i'm fast running out of time.

How do you remove the rear rotors for a au series 1.

I've removed the caliper and caliper bracket but for some reason the rotor aint coming off, I've taken out the screw and the park brake is off yet it feels like something is holding it on.

I'm scouring the net now trying to find an answer and only posted this Q here because the tech section of the forums seem to get next to no views where as this one is a high traffic part.

If anyone can help me out with this that'd be great cos it's got me dead stumped. I'm following a repair manual as well and have done so to the letter but it's still not moving.

Car is presently in part on flat concrete with the hand brake off.

Thanks in advance

goldfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give them a small tap with a rubber mallet you will find that the have a little rust between the axle and rotor

that is the only thing that i can think of as to why they wont come off

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

few hits with a hammer will get them off.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
goldfire

tap from rear or just general tap?.. sorry but wanna make sure i don't trash any parts while trying to remove it.
Old 31-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
goldfire

ok i'll try the hammer, only got a normal claw head so is it ok to use that?. i'm replacing the rotor so i'm not fussed on damaging it.

Also i'd like to note that the manual says the rotor should wobble but it doesn't, the front rotors did and i put some lug nuts back on to hold it, but the rears don't move.
Old 31-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just tap the rotor and it will come off

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Two things can stop you here:

1) Small amount of rust on the centre pilot (hole) where the axle comes out. The hole in the wheel is not tight enough on the end of the axle to prevent rust buildup. This can jam the rotor up.

2) The park brake lining can become jammed on the inside drum area of the rotor. Mine did this on the LHS and was not due to a lip or anything, it just cocks over a little and then become very tightly jammed.

Either way, you will need to use a hammer to get them off. If the park brake lining is cocked once you finally do get it off, you can back off the small star adjuster a little before you re-install the new rotor.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you may need to back the handbrake off ( not just diss connect the cable) if there is a lip on the drum in the rotor

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
goldfire

ok got the thing off, needed several "taps" hehe. the driver side came off with next to no effort.

Jobs all done, New RDA rotors and Bendy pads and no more grinding sound hehe.

Was strange cos i looked over the mechanical report and the rotors didn't look anywhere near as bad as they made out. Just standard wear and tear and even then i reckon i could've gotten another 5k km's or more out of them. Never the less is all said and done now. Thanks to all that helped me out, job was much easier than i originally thought. Now i get the joy of replacing park brake shoe's and adjusting the system.. that can wait a little while hehe.