Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default vic rwc question(not your typical question!)

I have always wondered,

A
you get a RWC report(failed report), it tells you, that you need a body structural report(example; chassis, radiator support).

B
You go to another RWC shop, and he passes you, or over-see's (not notices) the issues out lined in 'A'

Does the report from 'A' go back to vicroads at all?

if so, what are the consequences of that shop in 'B'

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: vic rwc question(not your typical question!)

Do you need to show receipts of work done? Then if 'Shop B' passes you then it would be assumed that the issue has been rectified.

If 'shop B' misses or skips the issue.... Ooops. I would say that Vic Roads would assume that the car is in roadworthy and suitable condition.

If you have to show evidence of work done, then that's a different story.
Old 25-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

if the car doesn't require a VIV(which needs proof of repairs), but a 'report form' from a rwc inspector stating it needs a structural report for problems listed, and deemed (roadworthy or un-roadworthy) before it can be issued a rwc

would the failed rwc report(that they would write 'cancelled' on) get sent to vicroads for their records
Old 25-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Kryton

No, it wouldnt.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd have to think about why are road worthies done in duplicate/triplicate?
Much like doctor shopping I think.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Chippa666

The roadworthy books don't go back to vic roads. They have to stay on the premises of the rwc licencee. Vic roads can and do pay visits to sites unannounced and check the books but thats as far as it goes.

So if it fails at A and passes on B, take B and go to vic roads and do your stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 25-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Yep .... go to plan B. Vic roads only interested in the RW certificate and doesn't matter if there was 14 before it that did not pass it.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If place A is saying the car may not be structurally sound, I would not be getting g that car registered. I would be taking it to get inspected, why put your life and others at risk. With Roadworthy in Vic all pics and reports go back to Vic roads now.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If a car has failed a RWC, the report stays with the workshop. If a car passes a RWC that is all that is required for registration.

If all failed reports go to Vic Roads ...... which they don't ..... could you imagine the amount of useless pieces of paper they would collect?

All RWC that have been issued is a different story.

That is the question really being asked ...... not what should morally be done. If the OP did not go to A but went straight to B ..... should they keep going until something bad is picked up or knocked back?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
stang65
FPRJET

Also bear in mind if there is anything structurally wrong and you have an accident and they find it, your insurance will also be void.
Old 26-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like getting ones licence

if at first you don't succeed try another dozen times and you will fluke it eventually
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Just out of interest, aren't these RWC occasionally failed due to the most mundane things? Like a discoloured headlight glass, smudge on the rear view mirror or a minuscule weep of oil on the engine block??
I'm just wondering. I have thanked my lucky stars that RWC do not exist in SA, mainly because I have a crack in the bumper of my sonata that would surely "fail" it for road worthiness....the cost to replace is a few hundred which really overcapitalizes on a car that is worth 1,200 at best.
That and the minor crunch into second, the peeling tint on the rear window and the dodgy passenger side electric window would prohibit the car from being purchased interstate....but does any of that really make it unsafe to drive? Can't see the cracked bumper killing too many school kids or kittens.....I'm sure some do gooder would have a sook that the plastic would turn into shards easier and heatseak toward the nearest innocent kitten/ child/puppy/nun/baby animal and murder it heartlessly in cold blood in the event of an accident....
Rant over. I'm sick of nanny states and it's been a long day
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Need a phoneworthy to buy the Sonata
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Just out of interest, aren't these RWC occasionally failed due to the most mundane things? Like a discoloured headlight glass, smudge on the rear view mirror or a minuscule weep of oil on the engine block??
I'm just wondering. I have thanked my lucky stars that RWC do not exist in SA, mainly because I have a crack in the bumper of my sonata that would surely "fail" it for road worthiness....the cost to replace is a few hundred which really overcapitalizes on a car that is worth 1,200 at best.
That and the minor crunch into second, the peeling tint on the rear window and the dodgy passenger side electric window would prohibit the car from being purchased interstate....but does any of that really make it unsafe to drive? Can't see the cracked bumper killing too many school kids or kittens.....I'm sure some do gooder would have a sook that the plastic would turn into shards easier and heatseak toward the nearest innocent kitten/ child/puppy/nun/baby animal and murder it heartlessly in cold blood in the event of an accident....
The bumper could get worse and become sharp. while parked someone walks past and cuts them self. It could break off while driving and become a road hazard.

Well second gear no safety reason.

The window tint could mean your vision is obstructed, which may cause problems while driving.

If in an emergency the window may need to be opened quickly.
Old 26-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

If in an emergency the window may need to be opened quickly.
Smash it.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i reckon that`s a yes on the mundane minor issues at times, i had a bloke threaten to not pass an f100 that i`d put different buckets in, the old seats where tired as buggery, the floor where the original seats where bolted to was just that sheet metal which had cracked all around the mounting holes , i welded the cracks up and reinforced the floor where the new seats where fitted,
he wanted me to get an engineers certificate for remounting and using different buckets, he could see it was a decent job i`d done , better than factory imo, he saw sense in the end and passed it, some times a bit of common sense must prevail........ you`d think?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

All fair points I suppose.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #18
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

all my points cleared cheers - however, it would not surprise me at all if they try and find out if you went 'roadworthy certificate shopping' like the lottery lol.. and now that they take pictures of everything

as mentioned, if a car is questionable and needs a second opinion on structural inspection... than they can send you to somebody.. this includes a dent in your chassis rail where you or some nuffy may have jacked the car up from, so it can be for the smallest thing..

pretty much your car would be an unofficial write off, happened to a mate in the past
Old 27-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Come to NSW, if they want to be really picky they can fail you on a tear on the seats !!
Old 27-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Come to NSW, if they want to be really picky they can fail you on a tear on the seats !!
and in NSW if you fail an inspection and you dont go back to that same place for a re inspection and get one elsware, after 21 days id gets loged with the RTA (or whatever there name is now) they dont inspect all of these but if a shop passes a number of vehicles that were rejected elswere they'll get a visit

I would never to phoneworthys it really wasnt worth the trouble, of a 3 month holiday from pink slips just for a shonky

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do in QLD as well ....
My take is IF a car is ruff and doesnt get a pass the first time,your rwc is dated and recorded at place of road worthy,the 2nd or return inspection for minor things isnt charged,and your road worthy is rectified
You choose to go elsewhere and get ,lets say a bodgy,and its all fine , go get regoed all good, thats fine, but and as what happens you get pulled over for a randon on the road inspection and it fails, many cry "Not my fault its the road worth place , there shonky" and so it happens the ol merry go round
That said,once the road worthy period has expired whats it 2,4 weeks, your then on your own,get pulled over and its full of rust,youll get the fine

There are places who do shonkies , turn a blind eye ,or even phone worthies, but unless you know them real well, they wont or dont do them for the average unknown punter
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

What can a small rip in a seat do???
Game. Reinvented.

Old 27-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #23
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

if you have a rip and worried it'll fail rwc, than throw seat cover on... never fails :P
Old 27-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #24
Kryton

Quote:
Hardly being "really picky" considering its been that way since RWC were invented.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Again I would ask why such a thing as a tear in a seat would make the car a hazard on the road? Clutching at straws? I ask in all seriousness because here in SA we don't have RWC and I have no idea how it all works.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 28-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Again I would ask why such a thing as a tear in a seat would make the car a hazard on the road? Clutching at straws? I ask in all seriousness because here in SA we don't have RWC and I have no idea how it all works.
The reason is because the spring in the seats have sharp ends and could slash a person leg open.

All states that have RWC are the same on this issue.