Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
XR Davo

Default Anyone had there T5 rebuilt?

I've had this annoying rattle type noise coming from my T5 transmission for a while now. Thought it was a clutch issue but have had that replaced and noise is still there. Mechanic says the gearbox needs to come out and be stripped and inspected for wear. He reckons there's probably a worn bearing or shim in there causing the noise. Noise is really noticeable when traveling in 4/5 gear at around 3000rpm. Anyone else had this problem and what sort of cost am I looking at for a rebuild. Car is AU Series 1 XR6 VCT. Davo

XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probaly about 1500 to 2 grand, depending on what needs to be done and how bad the wear is,

Theres a guy on ebay who sells the reco t5s, might pay to ask him

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

I had my T5 rebiult compltely by a company in griffith NSW, only cost me 750. Shop round and surely you'll find someone reasonably priced mate
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

the ebay guy is status engineering in vic. not very informative website but i just got a fully rebuilt box for 1070 outright including shipping. also do less for a changeover, but mine went bang :(
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
wesomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6
the ebay guy is status engineering in vic. not very informative website but i just got a fully rebuilt box for 1070 outright including shipping. also do less for a changeover, but mine went bang :(
+1. Guys there were very helpful on the phone and new gearbox feels nice and tight. Just don't use their regular freight company, lost my original gearbox for a week before it got to them! Star Track got the new one to me overnight!!

Marine Blue EBII XR8 - GT40p's, Paceys, 3in mandrel bent exhaust, Explorer Manifold, YT 1.72 RR's, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, Thermo's...now manual

1967 Ford Futura coupe 289 C4 stock cruiser
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 220 had its box rebuilt the machenic got a kit from the states that used metal 'something' instead of the standard plastic bits. sorry don't know what parts as it was done just before i bought it
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesomc
+1. Guys there were very helpful on the phone and new gearbox feels nice and tight. Just don't use their regular freight company, lost my original gearbox for a week before it got to them! Star Track got the new one to me overnight!!

hahaha, similar story, mine arrived a few days late and was actually just laying on a pallet with all the plastic wrap originally used to hold it down, just sitting on t. Lucky it didn't fall off.
My new box is in now, was tight to begin with but is now a lot better, especially with the mal wood shifter.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post