Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
bigal 2
Big Al

Exclamation Au indash diagnostic/digital readouts ?

I came a cross some old stuff i downloaded from fordmods some time ago, and tried it out today, bit of a trick but eventually got into it, which is through a second by second input on the odometer button you can get into a screen 'setup' 19 dual screens in total some are usable and some to me are not, its a split screen, upper and lower, one is real time rpm another is whats left in tank fuel wise by the L, another is real time temp and real time fuel usage, another what gear you are in 1 to 7 1 = first and 7 = park, real time voltage output, and many others i can't or don't get a reading from, the last one is 'Ford' flashing, does anyone have a listing of all screens functions and is there some way of getting logged codes from one of these screens, if u have a ex police au u can also change the speedo reading by 5% intervals eather faster or slower.These "screens" are apparently available to all au's series 1,2and 3 + ex police cars (speedo)

bigal 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you do this? would be interested in sussing it out.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
How do you do this? would be interested in sussing it out.
I would be interested in checking it out too.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
bigal 2
Big Al

Default From Me to u

Ford AU Series 1 to AU Series 3 Falcon, XR, Fairmont, Fairlane, LTD and Ute Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Mode
A big thankyou goes to AU2SR - Aka Jeff for Finding this bit of hideen information, and for allowing Fordmods to host this document ! This document describes the Falcon AU Dash Diagnostic Information that is provided when the Dash is placed in Diagnostic mode
The information that is returned is displayed using the Odometer display area, and includes the information that is transferred on the ECU bus
This includes Fuel level, Fuel consumption, oil pressure, Coolant Temperature, RPM, Vehicle speed, Gear lever position, Door Ajar, and many others
Entering Diagnostic mode
The diagnostic mode can be entered by using the following method
• 1) With the ignition key in the off position, turn the Ignition Key to the On Position.
• 2) Using the Odometer Button, Press the Odometer Button Down, then release 5 Times within 10 Seconds (Note : You must be very accurate with the timing. Depress the Button for 1 second, then release for 1 second. Do this 5 Times in 10 seconds)
• 3) Release the Odometer Button for 5 seconds.
• 4) Depress the Odometer Button for 7 Seconds.
• 5) Release the Odometer Button for 5 Seconds.
• 6) Depress the Odometer Button for 7 Seconds.

You should now be within the AU Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Mode

Within Diagnostic mode, there are 19 Diagnostic Screens that are available.
At the moment we do not have enough information as to what all the screens actually are.
To Exit the Diagnostic mode, Depress the Odometer Button for 11 seconds.

More Information will be made available as to what diagnostic sections display what type of information soon !
Diagnostic Codes
Mode Top Line Bottom Line
1 Petrol in Litres (No Level Buffering) Petrol Sender Resistance (Unbuffered)
2 Coolant Temperature (Degrees C)
3 Engine RPM Vehicle Speed (KM/H)
4 Oil Pressure (Bar, 1 decimal Point) Battery Voltage (Volts)
5 Instant Fuel Consumption (L/100Km) Instant Fuel Consumption (x 0.1 Litres)
6 Fuel used since Trip Avg L/100 Reset (x 0.1L)
This Value is used to calculate the Trip computer Average Fuel consumption L/100Km Kms Travelled since Trip Avg L/100 Reset
7 Buffered Fuel Tank Level (In Litres)
Value used for Petrol Gauge Buffered Fuel Tank Lever Sender Resistance
8 Gear Position (PNRD321)
9 Unknown - 0000 Unknown - 1111 Changes on AC Clutch Engage
10 Unknown - 0000 Unknown - 1111
11 Unknown - 0000 Unknown - 1111
12 Unknown - 0
13 Unknown - 0
14 Unknown - 0000 118
15 Unknown - 0000 255
16 98 112
17 Unknown - 0 0
18 -o-d ----

Police - (Ex Chaser) Instrument Clusters
In addition to the above diagnostic modes, the Police (Chaser) Instrument clusters also have a Speedo Calibration mode.
The Police (Ex-Chaser) instrument cluster allows re-programming of the Speedo Reading, (and consequently the Odometer), so as a Precise Speedo Reading can be made.
This also means that the Speedo can be re-calibrated, when making changes to the Factory fitted wheels, Tyre Profiles, as well as altering differential Ratios.
To determine if you have a Police (Ex Chaser) Instrument Cluster fitted, try the following Routine, to enter the calibration mode.
To Calculate Calibration figures for the Police Instrument cluster, when making the above modifications, please check the Diff and Tyre Calculator Page.

Warning : Playing with the Instrument Calibration feature will modify your Speedo, and Odometer readings.
Please be sure of the consequences of changing these settings, and also Make note of your Original Calibration Setting
This will ensure that you can return the Speedo Calibration Back to its original condition, if modified.

Entering the Police Instruments Calibration Mode - (Police AU Series I models)
• 1) With the ignition key in the On position, press and hold the Odometer reset knob for 5 seconds, then release.
• 2) The Odometer will then display "SPEEDO #.#" - where #.# is the Speedo calibration Percentage, and is set to "0.0" Percent from the factory.
• 3) To increase the Percentage adjustment, Press the Odometer reset shaft for a short period of time (0.2 to 0.7 seconds). This will increase the adjustment by 0.5%
• 4) To decrease the Percentage adjustment, Press the Odometer reset shaft for a long period of time (0.8 to 4.9 seconds). This will decrease the adjustment by 0.5%
• 5) To exit the Speedo calibration mode, press and hold the Odometer Reset shaft for a period longer than 5 seconds.

Entering the Police Instruments Calibration Mode - (Police AU Series II - AUIII Models)
• 1) With the ignition key in the Off position, press and hold the Odometer reset knob
• 2) Turn the Ignition Switch On, and continue to hold the Reset shaft in for 5 seconds, until the cluster enters calibration mode, (Typically 5 seconds)
• 2) The Odometer will then display "SPEEDO #.#" - where #.# is the Speedo calibration Percentage, and is set to "0.0" Percent from the factory.
• 3) To increase the Percentage adjustment, Press the Odometer reset shaft for a short period of time (0.2 to 0.7 seconds). This will increase the adjustment by 0.5%
• 4) To decrease the Percentage adjustment, Press the Odometer reset shaft for a long period of time (0.8 to 4.9 seconds). This will decrease the adjustment by 0.5%
• 5) To exit the Speedo calibration mode, press and hold the Odometer Reset shaft for a period longer than 5 seconds.
bigal 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had a thread on this a long time ago as well ... it can be quite useful ... I was testing an issue I had with overheating at one point and running the diagnostic in the Temperature mode most of the time.

Also since my LPG senders were playing up I was watching the unbuffered resistantance levels to see when I was having the issues on the senders going out of range as well.

Also I found out ... for Option 2 ... the other field next to coolant temp is actually the DTE reading for the cluster as well.

Another thing I found too is ption 14 reading changes from 0000 to 28 ... sometimes ... I still can;t figuer out why though.

Also the digital speed readout is different from your analogue speedo as well ... by about 1-2 km/h.

Have been using it regularly ... it is quite a handy tool ... especially on the dyno (trying to figure out temps ... and to see if my cluster temp gauge was actually working and not telling porkies).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Interesting, is it like the EF/L one though where it reverts back after 10 mins or so?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Interesting, is it like the EF/L one though where it reverts back after 10 mins or so?
Thats strange because mine stays on for weeks.
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Nope ... it stays on until you disengage it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
tickfrd6

Wow this is an old thread. I tried doing it but it doesn't work.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try with a stop watch, it has to be exact
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
tickfrd6

I tried it about 6 times with a stop watch and was exact everytime I pressed the odo button in.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 13-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
james22
With da Warlords

It works, but you have to be bloody accurate with the timing. I've had to to do it up to 7 or 8 timnes to get it right. I also figured out that if you have the police cluster like me, you cannot use the dash diagnostic mode.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
tickfrd6

How do I know if I have the police cluster?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 13-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

2 kilometer increments on the face rather than 5
Old 13-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
james22
With da Warlords

And no tickford wings or blue fascia in my case. Just plain black and as said, 2km increments.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
tickfrd6

Ohhh ok well then i dont have a police cluster. Ill go out now and try the diagnostics mode again. If it doesnt work after the 8th time then I give up lol.
how do i know if im in it and how do i toggle from each mode?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 13-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're in it you'll lose the odo and normal bits and pieces and will show two lines with random numbers. Just push the stalk to change modes.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
Wow this is an old thread. I tried doing it but it doesn't work.
It's only an old thread if someone goes digging it up !!
Old 15-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #19
tickfrd6

haha I actually found it on google. I clicked it and found this interesting so tried it but it never worked

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all