Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
InitialD
Low and Loud

Default Braking issues

Ive had a problem with this car now since Ive owned it. The problem in question is the rear pads and discs wear out before the front discs. No its not because im Mr Tyre Fryer that ive noticed this, its mainly because

A) my front discs keep glazing over
B) ive replaced ALL my pads with Bendix Advance and did nothing, and have been bedded in correctly
C) the rear pads keep wearing out quicker and the main fact that you can smell the rear pads more when after you go for a good drive

Now ive checked all the calipers, greased slides and bled the brakes many times to try and solve this. Ive also replaced the Master Cylinder and Brake booster and did nothing.

Could anyone offer a Serious reason why that I could check? I am thinking I might have to leave it one day with a good Brake service centre but id like to see if I can do anything about it first.

Thanks guys

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
A) my front discs keep glazing over

you have an auto, and you ride your breaks.

dont know whats going on with your rears, hows your handbrake and stuff

buy my lsd, comes with good looking calipers and discs and pads!! :P
Old 03-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
InitialD
Low and Loud

Well I thought it might have been the handbrake but I checked that out today and with a slight adjustment seems fine. Even a little TOO loose infact.

Quote:
you have an auto, and you ride your breaks.
My appology to anyone who has been stuck behind me, I discovered today my brakes were spongy and barly workable thanks to my booster being defective. After installing a new one ive noticed its alot better

BUT, this has been a problem with this car BEFORE I owned it and when my sisters ex Boyfriend owned it.

Oh and nick, nice plug ;)

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
Old 03-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
thepedster
EA Wagon

Do the Falcons have a rear load sensing valve which controls how much power the rear brakes get? I know when I was playing with old Golfs that they do (it boosts up the pressure to the rear breaks when the car is carrying a load (makes it safer))

Maybe the Falcon also has one and yours is playing up?

Shot. In. Dark.
thepedster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
InitialD
Low and Loud

Not that I know of dude, but I do get the feeling aswell as some others who have looked at my car that the brakes are Biased to the rear more then the front.. no idea how thou

Old 04-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Does it lock the rear brakes up before the fronts? Are you sure you changed the rear pads properly, with the right tool? I remember someone on here did it without winding the pistons back in, and had trouble with sticky calipers after that. Have the calipers been replaced?

Another thing that could be happening, is the handbrake lever on the caliper siezes, so it looks fine when you put the caliper together, then after the first use of the handbrake, they don't fully unlock, and drag constantly. It was a fairly common problem on XE-XF's with rear discs.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post