Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Personally I would prefer a portable panel over one mounted on the roof of the caravan or trailer,reason being,mostly when camping people tend to park the trailer under trees in the shade, but that sort of beats the purpose of having solar panels.A folding 200-250w panel gets put where the most sun is and can be moved to catch all day sun

I roof mounted mine as I like to keep the amount of things to set up to a minimum. I've camped under trees and the output doesn't change that much. It was still enough to top the battery back up in a reasonably short time. Obviously everyone's situation will be different so depends how low you take your battery when it's not sunny, or day time.

I had one day where it was cloudy and raining most of the day so battery got down to around 12.3v but next day it was sunny again and back up to 12.8- 13.0v by mid morning, even though I was under a tree.

I have a 250w panel (probably closer to about 160w in reality) and single 100ah battery.