Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Best spark plug leads???

Hi guys!! Ihave had a gut full of sprak plug leads from repco!!! I have purchased 2 sets of spiral wire leads and they keep letting me down in a big way.Idle suffers and power is down too. I hate these suckers!! My timing light came out after 2 years and revealed my first 3 leads are misfiring !! I am running on 3 cylinders.

What brand is the best? Magnecor? Where can I get some? How can we insulate them too?
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Are you sure you are fitting them correctly. The new leads can form air pockets when you put them on the plugs, meaning the contact with the plug is non-existent or marginal at best - which would both lead to misfires.

To get around this, you need to put the lead on the plug, and then get a long screwdriver under the lead at the spark plug, levering the "boot" of the lead up, while pushing the lead firmly on to the plug. This should enable the air to escape while making good contact with the plug.

Of course, if your problem is the the lead boots come away from the leads, then just take them back to repco. Most leads come with 12 months warranty, so they should replace them for you.

I run standard 8mm topgun leads on both the I6 and the V8.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 25-02-2005 at 11:03 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Man I do not know?? I cant believe its only first 3?? the leads have been in for 6m months each time? Worked fine for a while then gradually got worse!!

Can it be heat wrecking them?

Last edited by Stav; 25-02-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 26-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Ok !!! I believe its my coil pack .I have changed leads,plugs and its misfiring intermitently on 1,2 ,3 cylinders. On 456 it is fine. Funny thing is that my coil fires 1 and 6 ,2 and 5 ,3 and 4 with each of the 3 coils. The only pattern I can see so far is that 1,2,3 plug connectors all are on the engine side.
Old 26-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

moroso spiral core have one of the best dielectric strengths so u will not get any crossfires or leaks to the rocker cover etc. may be expensive though.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
newending

Did you work out what was causing the misfiring. My car is doing the same and the mechanic can't work it out. Cleaning the injectors helped a lot but didn't completely solve the problem.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by newending
Did you work out what was causing the misfiring. My car is doing the same and the mechanic can't work it out. Cleaning the injectors helped a lot but didn't completely solve the problem.
Mate I changed the coilpack. Plugs 1,2,3 were firing internittently.Still was a bit missy. I found no 3 plug base circle wet with fuel..changed no 3 injector.

Also today I reshimmed my cam and at first impressions it is idling better than even standard.It is only first few hours though so I will post in a week to see if it stays that way.I really believe most of the rough idle generally comes from the hydraulic lash adjusters playing up.

Last edited by Stav; 06-03-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Yep 98 % of misfiring dissapeared since the reshim yesterday and it goes very noticeably quicker.

Last edited by Stav; 07-03-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Ok now its 1 week later and 1 lifter went noisy ..so I checked it.The shim got crushed!!! The idle went a bit rougher since the noise came too.But with a bit of tinkering and a new shim its back to smooth again.And more power than before