Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
After starting out on sibo, I moved to keto and haven’t looked back.

There’s exactly 12 months between these two photos..

Far out.... that is amazing. Credit to you !!
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
After starting out on sibo, I moved to keto and haven’t looked back.

There’s exactly 12 months between these two photos..

You don't even look like the same person, great results, and there is still people who claim Keto Dieting does not work

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone heard of, or even done, or considered the 'Carnivore Diet' or the 'Snake Diet'?

Thoughts and discussion would be interesting.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been doing something akin to Snake diet... small feeding window (3-4hrs) and no food for the rest of the time. Food intake is in the evenings. No issues. Rarely hungry, no fatigue to speak of. Unlike the Snake diet, I'm not drinking the snake juice (TBH, seems like a pointless gimmick), but am drinking tea or coke zero. The main thing is to minimise calorie intake when having drinks.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #5
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I've been doing something akin to Snake diet... small feeding window (3-4hrs) and no food for the rest of the time. Food intake is in the evenings. No issues. Rarely hungry, no fatigue to speak of. Unlike the Snake diet, I'm not drinking the snake juice (TBH, seems like a pointless gimmick), but am drinking tea or coke zero. The main thing is to minimise calorie intake when having drinks.
'Snake Juice' provides essential electrolytes while you are not eating, stops cramps and also ensures your heart and brain and muscles are firing correctly. Saying essential electrolytes are a gimmick is like saying breathing is a gimmick.

Not a gimmick rather a life essential fluid for optimal health and performance.

Sorry but there is no way under any circumstances that I would be drinking Diet Coke or any other diet drink.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 09-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
'Snake Juice' provides essential electrolytes while you are not eating, stops cramps and also ensures your heart and brain and muscles are firing correctly. Saying essential electrolytes are a gimmick is like saying breathing is a gimmick.
Electrolyte replacement is an issue when undertaking prolonged fasts (ie. >2-3 days). If you have a daily eating window, it isn't - you are getting enough from your food. Under normal activity, you simply don't lose enough. Go to a medical text and look up Na/K excretion rates if you don't believe me.

Do you hook yourself up to a saline drip while you sleep?

Quote:
Sorry but there is no way under any circumstances that I would be drinking Diet Coke or any other diet drink.
Because?
Old 18-02-2019, 01:41 AM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Electrolyte replacement is an issue when undertaking prolonged fasts (ie. >2-3 days). If you have a daily eating window, it isn't - you are getting enough from your food. Under normal activity, you simply don't lose enough. Go to a medical text and look up Na/K excretion rates if you don't believe me.?
I asked about the snake diet, which involves long term fasting.

On an intermitted fasting regime you can probably get away without added electrolytes provided you are mostly sedentary and if you do not drink a lot of water.

Quote:
Do you hook yourself up to a saline drip while you sleep??
No, but I only sleep 6-8 hours at a time, I have on several occasions woken up with bad cramps, especially after days of prolonged activity such as working out on the property on hot days followed by gym sessions.

Drinking water with a specific electrolyte balance throughout the day has resolved the cramps issue instantly.

Quote:
Because?
Do you really have to ask?? Seriously, it tastes like **** to begin with, there are no conceivable benefits to consuming it, and plenty of risk of consuming a chemical cocktail with unknown side effects and long term consequences.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I asked about the snake diet, which involves long term fasting.
24-48hr is not a long term fast.

Quote:
I have on several occasions woken up with bad cramps, especially after days of prolonged activity
while on the diet, or generally? aren't you at all concerned that prolonged fasting is counterproductive for someone that is weight-training? you want to be consuming protein no greater than 48hrs post-exercise, though ideally within around 8hrs. similarly for replenishing glycogen post-workout (which spares muscle breakdown) which you aren't doing at all on keto.

Quote:
Do you really have to ask?? Seriously, it tastes like **** to begin with, there are no conceivable benefits to consuming it, and plenty of risk of consuming a chemical cocktail with unknown side effects and long term consequences.
not much of a chemical cocktail. acesulfame is excreted entirely, aspartame is broken down to metabolizable components. and while there is a supposed risk with some types of caramel, they are lower risks than those associated with frying meats or vegetables.

what studies demonstrate the long term safety of keto diets?
Old 04-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When someone starts posting quack youtube videos, I know better than to go down that rabbit-hole. Enjoy your kool aid.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #10
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When someone starts posting quack youtube videos, I know better than to go down that rabbit-hole. Enjoy your kool aid.
I am guessing you did not even watch the videos, and if you did you did not understand them, the videos simply explain the studies that you refer to as evidence that red meat causes cancer, or fried meat causes cancer.

The studies are flawed and conducted incorrectly, if you actually bothered to read the studies then you would quickly realise that they do not show what the general media tells you they show, but that they prove quite the opposite.

But I guess you can just call them quack videos based on no evidence what so ever, even the Institute of Cancer agrees with the Quack Videos, and states on their own web site that the studies are flawed and show no links to humans, but hey what do they know

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 05-03-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #11
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am guessing you did not even watch the videos
The first video, he attempts to obfuscate by arguing the results may have been different if people had been eating grass-fed or organic beef, then telling us how great he feels after eating meat. Well flap, follwing that logic, let's all take cocaine! It's laughable when we already know what we do of the chemistry of red vs white meat, and the types of reaction byproducts that are produced in it via cooking.

The second, from a doctor that was prosecuted by the medical board for inadequate cleaning/disinfection/sterilisation practices and may even still be on probation. Not sure I want to be taking his advice. He doesn't actually point out flaws in the methodology, he argues that because the relative risk is not overwhelming, its near enough to be zero. Yet earlier he quotes confidence intervals that demonstrate statistical significance. His videos are clearly pitched at the ignorant.

A number of Berry's other videos are dismantled here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsOgOel9AQ

Like I said, feel free to drink the keto kool aid. But you're more likely to find that echo chamber you so desperately crave, elsewhere.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #12
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The first video, he attempts to obfuscate by arguing the results may have been different if people had been eating grass-fed or organic beef, then telling us how great he feels after eating meat. Well flap, follwing that logic, let's all take cocaine! It's laughable when we already know what we do of the chemistry of red vs white meat, and the types of reaction byproducts that are produced in it via cooking.

The second, from a doctor that was prosecuted by the medical board for inadequate cleaning/disinfection/sterilisation practices and may even still be on probation. Not sure I want to be taking his advice. He doesn't actually point out flaws in the methodology, he argues that because the relative risk is not overwhelming, its near enough to be zero. Yet earlier he quotes confidence intervals that demonstrate statistical significance. His videos are clearly pitched at the ignorant.

A number of Berry's other videos are dismantled here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsOgOel9AQ

Like I said, feel free to drink the keto kool aid. But you're more likely to find that echo chamber you so desperately crave, elsewhere.
You call Dr Berry a quack yet you link a video from Vegan Footsoldier who wears a mask, scratches is balls throughout the video with absolutely no educational back ground.

I mean the man is too embarrassed to show his face as he probably knows how stupid his pointless rants are that he is too embarrassed to own them.

Sorry mate, but I am out, you may as well link the tooth fairy. Anyone that even watches this fool needs a mental health check.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 06-03-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #13
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You call Dr Berry a quack yet you link a video from Vegan Footsoldier
Well, if you can take the p155, why can't I...
Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #14
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too much overthinking here.

Can lose bulk weight & have general good health by working out 20mins a day, and eating pizza & lasagne if ya want.

Regarding cancer. Make sure you exclude used engine oil from your diet, thats what ive heard anyway.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #15
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
T
Can lose bulk weight & have general good health by working out 20mins a day, and eating pizza & lasagne if ya want.
Please tell me more about this magical diet were all I have to do is exercise 20 minutes a day, eat pizza and I still lose bulk weight.

I currently exercise 40 minutes and don't eat pizza and still not losing bulk amounts of weight.

So may be I cut my exercise in half and add pizza

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 13-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Please tell me more about this magical diet
Im nearly 40 and far from my prime. If your having issues, then you may have some underlying health problems u need to sort. I also noticed u talk about alcohol........

falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Im nearly 40 and far from my prime. If your having issues, then you may have some underlying health problems u need to sort. I also noticed u talk about alcohol........

Ok so you are one of the lucky ones that has a great metabolism, I have a mate that is in his 50's drinks half a case of beer a day and lives off KFC and other garbage who is lean without ever going to the gym.

So should we all base our diet on his now?? A study of x=1 is useless, and basing diet advice on the results one person is ridiculous. Just because you eat pizza and exercise 20 minted a day does not have any relevance.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 20-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I started dieting on Feb 3 this year. March 20 now and I’m 16kg lighter. No magic potions. Just eating less and what I am eating is good. 90% home grown. My grocery bill is between $40-60 a week now instead of $300 and I’m eating better than ever. In terms of exercise I only really started doing anything regular two weeks ago. I try to get my 10,000 steps a day which works out to about a 7.5km walk.

I’ve conciously swapped out red meat for lean chicken. I maybe have red meat once a week and chicken 3x. If I have steak I bulk it out so it’s 50/50 meat and mushrooms. The rest of the time its just veg from the garden. Aside from rice I dropped carbs especially pasta and bread which I’ve always eaten loads of. I never ate much starchy veg like potato. The only thing close to a potion I’ve added is a natural fibre supplement. I go through 1-2 dozen eggs a week. Depending on how hungry I’ll do a 3-4 egg omelette with a load of mushrooms for breakfast. Lunch is usually light. Maybe a cucumber and a nut bar and a handful of nuts for a snack later. Dinner is usually something like a stir fry, baked chicken thighs, or fried rice. I’m trying to cut back on the rice to one or two days a week. I’m also going to try getting a bit of fish into my diet.

I eat this way all week. When I do the weekly shop I have a fruit juice and a cheese and bacon roll as a sort of reward. Then I go out for dinner every Friday night and eat whatever within reason. Whatever I do eat I eat less of it. Last week was pizza. I could lose weight faster but this is sustainable.

I’ve set myself small milestones along the way and am on track to be at my correct weight around Oct-Nov this year, if it takes longer that’s okay. I feel so much better. The benefits even so far have been massive. I was not well. I no longer wheeze when just sitting still, my doctor told me it was just because I’m fat and he was right. Doing yard work or working on the cars is a hell of a lot easier already too now I’m not fighting gravity so much.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #19
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
I started dieting on Feb 3 this year. March 20 now and I’m 16kg lighter. No magic potions. Just eating less and what I am eating is good. 90% home grown. My grocery bill is between $40-60 a week now instead of $300 and I’m eating better than ever. In terms of exercise I only really started doing anything regular two weeks ago. I try to get my 10,000 steps a day which works out to about a 7.5km walk.

I’ve conciously swapped out red meat for lean chicken. I maybe have red meat once a week and chicken 3x. If I have steak I bulk it out so it’s 50/50 meat and mushrooms. The rest of the time its just veg from the garden. Aside from rice I dropped carbs especially pasta and bread which I’ve always eaten loads of. I never ate much starchy veg like potato. The only thing close to a potion I’ve added is a natural fibre supplement. I go through 1-2 dozen eggs a week. Depending on how hungry I’ll do a 3-4 egg omelette with a load of mushrooms for breakfast. Lunch is usually light. Maybe a cucumber and a nut bar and a handful of nuts for a snack later. Dinner is usually something like a stir fry, baked chicken thighs, or fried rice. I’m trying to cut back on the rice to one or two days a week. I’m also going to try getting a bit of fish into my diet.

I eat this way all week. When I do the weekly shop I have a fruit juice and a cheese and bacon roll as a sort of reward. Then I go out for dinner every Friday night and eat whatever within reason. Whatever I do eat I eat less of it. Last week was pizza. I could lose weight faster but this is sustainable.

I’ve set myself small milestones along the way and am on track to be at my correct weight around Oct-Nov this year, if it takes longer that’s okay. I feel so much better. The benefits even so far have been massive. I was not well. I no longer wheeze when just sitting still, my doctor told me it was just because I’m fat and he was right. Doing yard work or working on the cars is a hell of a lot easier already too now I’m not fighting gravity so much.
If it works that's great, but there is one thing that stands out to me, why have you traded red meat for chicken meat, ie high quality meat for poor quality meat?

Makes no sense to me, I love chicken but I really try to minimize eating it to the occasional home made buffalo wings cooked over charcoal.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #20
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it works that's great, but there is one thing that stands out to me, why have you traded red meat for chicken meat, ie high quality meat for poor quality meat?
what makes chicken a poor quality meat? what's the metric you're using to judge meat? protein content? fat content? myoglobin content?
Old 28-05-2019, 11:26 PM   #21
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
what makes chicken a poor quality meat? what's the metric you're using to judge meat? protein content? fat content? myoglobin content?
The way 99% of chickens are raised makes it poor quality meat.(unless you are raising your own free range chickens of course), chickens are mostly raised in cages getting fed soy based GMO feed, making for meat with a very poor nutrient profile.

Whilst beef is generally free range, cows in Australia roam free on large acreage farms foraging for foods, especially cows destined for slaughter. Some will go to feed lots to fatten up before slaughter which slightly reduces the nutrient profile of the meat but no where near that of chicken.

Ideally if you can afford it the best would be grass fed and grass finished beef, which has a much better Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. (or wild game meats which most do not have access to)

Ideal ratio would be 1:1 most western diets have a ration of 10:1 to 25:1, a lot of it caused by soy based foods.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 28-05-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 29-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #22
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ideally if you can afford it the best would be grass fed and grass finished beef, which has a much better Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. (or wild game meats which most do not have access to)

Ideal ratio would be 1:1 most western diets have a ration of 10:1 to 25:1, a lot of it caused by soy based foods.
I'll admit, I've never really given that aspect much thought, but then, I eat a lot of fish (high in omega 3). I'm not sure a diet where the only major protein source is only read meat, would be all that healthy (depending on how it's cooked).
Old 19-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Sorry for the thread mine.

How is everyone going with their weight?

Ive just joined up to the gym again. Looking to move 10kg in fat but build about 5kg in muscle in about 3 months. See how I go.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2023, 05:25 PM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Been over a year since I last posted in this thread. 12 months at the gym and been going a couple of times a week. I havent measured my progress but feel a lot stronger, getting a bit more muscle definition. Dropped some fat in the process, bulked up a bit, and changed my diet not just for fitness but also for health reasons. Im no way near as stick thin like I was when I was cycling. I look a bit more robust and being only 5'7" it stands out.

Goals for me are on a quarterly basis. Remain as consistent as possible. Try and achieve a PR every few weeks no matter how small.

I find the gym to be a place for mental clarity. Get in, push hard and go home. Embrace the endorphins. Do it again as soon as I can.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont