Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden Sports Wagon

AND Ford reckon there is no market for a luxury/sporstwagon !!!!

The Holden Commodore Sportwagon has broken cover a week ahead of its official reveal at the 2007 Sydney motor show, reports GLENN BUTLER.

Holden Commodore Sportwagon
Full details of the forthcoming Holden VE Commodore wagon have leaked days before its official reveal at the 2007 Sydney motor show. And it confirms Drive.com.au's August report that Holden has sexed up the VE Commodore wagon, making it more of a Euro-chic sports wagon than the fleet-friendly load lugger it used to be.

Holden also believes that reinventing the Sportwagon as a more affordable alternative to European wagons from Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz will draw more buyers to the brand.

Officially, the VE-based Commodore wagon Holden will display at the Sydney motor show is a concept only, but, as the leaked pictures show, the Commodore Sportwagon is production ready. Expect only the 20-inch wheels to be dropped for the production model, which goes on sale early in 2008.

For the first time, the wagon will be built on the shorter of the Holden Commodore's two platforms. This should allow Holden the necessary scope to improve the Sportwagon's dynamic abilities to better match its name.

A full range of models will be offered, starting with the Omega – which will no doubt do the majority of the fleet business – through to the mid-level Berlina and topped by the luxury Calais and Calais V. Holden will also offer a full range of sporting models – SV6, SS and SS-V – for the first time (Commodore SS wagons have been available in the past, but never a range like this).

Each Commodore Sportwagon model will mirror the equipment and safety levels of the equivalent sedan. Pricing has not been disclosed, but the wagon is likely to carry a $2000 premium over the sedan, which starts around $35,000.

The change in focus for the Commodore wagon from fleet-machine to stylish family wagon necessitated changes to the wagon's load area. The tailgate's hinges have been pushed further back into the roof to allow a wider opening, and to make loading easier. It's not known whether Holden has lifted the aircraft-style runners/adjustable luggage tie-down system from Saab, another GM-owned brand.

Engines for the rear-wheel-drive Sportwagon are also lifted straight from the VE Commodore sedan. The Omega and Berlina Sportwagon will have a 180kW version of the 3.6-litre six-cylinder engine, offered with a four-speed automatic transmission. The Calais and SV6 models will get the same engine in a higher-performance 195kW, and teamed with a five-speed automatic gearbox.

Calais and Calais V buyers will be able to option the 270kW, 6.0-litre V8 engine that is standard in SS and SS-V sports models. All V8s will be available with a six-speed automatic transmission; S and SS-V buyers will have to pay extra to upgrade from the standard six-speed manual.

Holden Commodore Sportwagon models will also benefit from recent tweaks to the Holden line-up, including a six-speed transmission for V8 models that deletes the transmission's sport/power button for a more user-friendly shift-to-the-side power mode.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

I must say it looks very good from the side, and I applaud Holden for offering a whole range of trim levels, from basic to sports. It makes the current Falcon wagon look like rolling cathedral.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Looks nice the only VE I've liked so far apart from the ss sedan.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Dilan

There are also some pics in this thread.
http://fordforums.com.au/newreply.ph...te=1&p=1754292
Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
fudge1979

I don't know why Ford thinks there is not a market for sports wagons, I'm at the stage of looking for a new car, I have a wagon now and love to bits cause it does and has everything i need and like eg. its a manual, I will only buy a manual and I carry all my tool and what everin the back and the ability to carry a coule of friends around in comfort.

My only option is to buy a ute as it easier to buy manual but i lose the option of a people mover

This is what Ford should be doing

My Past Love
1990 EA 30th Ann. Falcon Wagon. Rosewood, EL XR6 Tear Shaped Air Vents, 5spd Manual, CFI with K & N Round Element, Pacemaker Extractors, Sony head unit, EF Radiator and EF Thermo Fans.

My Current Love
2007 BFMkII Falcon XR6 Cab Chassis Ute. Ego, 18inch XR8 Wheels, Custom Tray.

My Photo Website http://www.flickr.com/photos/fudge1979pics/V8supercars Eastern Creek 2008
fudge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
AND Ford reckon there is no market for a luxury/sporstwagon !!!!

They haven't sold any yet so its still unproven wether there is yet or not. Most wagons sell to fleets.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post