Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #1
dansince86

Default Finer Details of Power to weight ratio (vic)

Hey Guys just would like to pick your brains!

i will be buying a new daily in the next month or so, i gained my p's before this new no v8s turbos...blah blah blah, i fall under the power to weight ratio. I have my heart set on a Gen 3 Stato ( I'll still be keeping the ea...turbo project) a gen 3 stato is 127kw per tonne, so in other words its 35kg's too light. If i get a model with leather/sunroof and a stereo i would easily make up that 35kg. if i got to vic roads and get it weighed, and i have document stating its weight vs power..does that make it legal?

thank you in advance!

Dan

[CENTER]88 EA Fairmont Ghia
- Super lows (all corners) - Shortened Shocks - Custom CAI - Clear Indicators - EF XR8 LSD - EL XR 6 Head - Jim Mock XR6 cam re-ground - BF XR6 17's - Advance Extractor's - Redback 2.5" sports exhaust -
dansince86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

The weights used by vic roads are the weights of a BASE model no options.
These figures are used to produce the banned cars list.
If your vehicle does not appear on the list, a weighbridge ticket along with manufacturers statements of power output are needed, along with a capacity to weight calculation.

put simply, the stato doenst fit the bill. Besides, you should check the laws and make sure that they havent been applied as a blanket, or worded in a way a that means you only get to run the old rules if you purchased and registered a car BEFORE the changes.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Hmm interesting topic, so does this mean, you can put stuff in yoru car, that will make it heavier, get some sort of clearance ticket and you can drive that car?!?!, even if its not on the band list?
I wish there was some sort of document explaining full details of this, as there are a few dark areas

-Ash
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just wondering might sound stupid but just like too know.. If you were to get a XR6 Turbo could you de-tune it so that it runs less boost so that is comes under power to weight.
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
soulfire
Kermit the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^dude
I was just wondering might sound stupid but just like too know.. If you were to get a XR6 Turbo could you de-tune it so that it runs less boost so that is comes under power to weight.
The hell would be the point of that? Just buy an NA XR6.
Vicroads go by manufacturer's weight and power calculations, there's really no point arguing against it. If your car is not on the banned list then the cops probably won't ping you for it. I had a 180rwkw TT Soarer, got pulled over several times on my Ps and never got pinged.
If you want an XR6turbo take the badges off, don't drive like an idiot, and leave out your plans for big wheels and a fully sick exhaust/BOV.
soulfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfire
If you want an XR6turbo take the badges off, don't drive like an idiot, and leave out your plans for big wheels and a fully sick exhaust/BOV.
And if he has an accident and needs to claim on his insurance?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You insure it as a Turbo just de-badge it and should be fine.
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
3vXT

I'm really not trying to be argumentative but which insurance company is going to pay a claim on a car when the driver isn't legally allowed to drive it? One look under the bonnet and any insurance assessor is going to spot the difference.
Old 17-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
soulfire
Kermit the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I'm really not trying to be argumentative but which insurance company is going to pay a claim on a car when the driver isn't legally allowed to drive it? One look under the bonnet and any insurance assessor is going to spot the difference.
Justcar insurance will pay, no questions asked.
My mate wrote off his STi on his P's, justcar coughed up no worries.
soulfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
3vXT

Did he own the car or have his P's before the laws came in?
Old 17-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^dude

No ... because it is classed as modifying the standard vehicle power-wise (even if it means dropping power) ... and AFAIK ... under the P-plate law there is no provision for power modifications.

I guess ready the fine-print though ... and see if there is a loophole ... but usually they'll make a broad generalisation that will cover a lot of little nit-picking things like you mentioned.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansince86
Hey Guys just would like to pick your brains!

i will be buying a new daily in the next month or so, i gained my p's before this new no v8s turbos...blah blah blah, i fall under the power to weight ratio. I have my heart set on a Gen 3 Stato ( I'll still be keeping the ea...turbo project) a gen 3 stato is 127kw per tonne, so in other words its 35kg's too light. If i get a model with leather/sunroof and a stereo i would easily make up that 35kg. if i got to vic roads and get it weighed, and i have document stating its weight vs power..does that make it legal?

thank you in advance!

Dan
Its more likely to fail in the capacity to weight figures, usually 5 litres are banned in Commodores and 5.7's are no no's, so I don't like your chances. They will take the weight figure from the manufacturers info.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #13
cowboy
Cowboy

Don't want to sound like an old man but when I got my P's wanted an XC GXL 5.8, was legal then (not sure about now). Thank god my parents stepped in and stopped me or I'd probably be dead. Get something tame on your P's till your driving skills increase then go the hi-po machine!
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #14
dansince86

I'm off my P's in 2 months. In desperate need for a new car, have the funds now. ide hate to buy a car i'm not happy with and want to sell it in 3 or 4 months, basically my main reason for asking this question. Good suggestion for a new P plater though.

does anyone know where u can find a copy of the banned list?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

[CENTER]88 EA Fairmont Ghia
- Super lows (all corners) - Shortened Shocks - Custom CAI - Clear Indicators - EF XR8 LSD - EL XR 6 Head - Jim Mock XR6 cam re-ground - BF XR6 17's - Advance Extractor's - Redback 2.5" sports exhaust -
dansince86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post