Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Exclamation ANCAP ratings are a partial crock

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtesting

Today lots of cars are 5-star rated, you cant get a higher rating. Common sense to me says that its not fair to say a Corolla is as safe as a Falcon or Territory.

ANCAP's Frontal Offset Test uses 2 vehicles of similar size - thats garbage. These days we are seeing LOTS more SUVs and pickups, that collisions should be tested against a large vehicle for all Frontal Offset Tests.

I suggest that the Falcon will hold up better and not roll than, say, a Nissan Tiida.

Am I alone in thinking ANCAP is half-baked? And apparently you get ½ a star for having seatbelt chime warnings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPx...feature=fvwrel

IN this video we a Smart car hold up very well vs a large sedan Merc. Nevertheless the Smart is hurled far away, perhaps into other traffic. Who would think its safer to be in the Smart over the Merc?!?!?!!?

turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: ANCAP ratings are a partial crock

The ratings need to be reviewed. 5 stars is the norm and easy to get these days. I would like to see todays 5 stars be tomorrow's 2-3 stars out of five.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's a standardized test and goes more to how the data is interpreted, lots of other countries
have crash tests against either fixed or moving objects but no one would consider say an F150 vs a Fiesta..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not ANCAP that's the crock, it's offset crash testing in general I think you're tying to say is crock. JCAP, EuroNCAP, IIHS all do the same. ANCAP are just following the rest of the world.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have a seat belt chime in the car you get an extra star.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

ANCAP et.al are misleading, safety design is where it needs to be. And while they are at it throw Euro emmisions standards in the bin as well. Why have European standards we don't export our cars there and we are not living in Europe. And yes my Falcon does give me a better sense of safety than the Jap cars at work.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While i agree that an f150 vs a fiesta is "probably" a given ANCAP like any other standardised test is just information to be used with the rest of your intelligence in making a dec sion on what you would like to buy. Having said that 1/2 a point for a seatbelt chime.........gimme a break, at least make it realistic. Interesting that brakes dont seem to get a mention....or do they?
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
MAD
Petro-sexual

Heavy car keeps moving forward, light car moves backward.
Heavy car did not dissapate all it's energy to the occupants, the small car dissapated all it's energy, and some extra from the big car to the occupants.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A five star car does not mean you are impervious to injury, people still need to
understand that driving into a solid object at anything more than 60 kph could be fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
It's not ANCAP that's the crock, it's offset crash testing in general I think you're tying to say is crock. JCAP, EuroNCAP, IIHS all do the same. ANCAP are just following the rest of the world.
That test and the pole side impact test approximate the majority of vehicle crashes gleaned from decades of data.
They are worthwhile in assisting manufacturers and consumers to understand the degree of injuries
sustained in a relative low speed impact, especially when comparing vehicles.

Anyone wanting to overtake into an oncoming semi to test their 5-star rating has rocks in their head.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-07-2012 at 05:25 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Another safety thing i observe sometimes is dumb drivers who sit way too close to the steering wheel. Not wise!!!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
That's the sort of rubbish that should not go towards a rating. Especially when some cars can have the warning chimes easily disabled.

I think the new XF Jag only got 4 stars because of something similar.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Another safety thing i observe sometimes is dumb drivers who sit way too close to the steering wheel. Not wise!!!
Or idiot passengers who think its a good idea to put there feet on the dash with an airbag fitted!
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
It doesnt say you get an extra star for a seat belt chime - it says extra points.

Quote:
Additionally, ANCAP award bonus points for other safety features such as seat belt reminders. The overall score is then translated into a star rating of between 1 to 5, with higher scores awarded more stars.
I'm not sure how its all worked out, but I am assumming something like certain tests would score say 0-100. After the tests, a total score may come to 400, then they would also add extra points for other safety features. ie seat belt reminder may add 5 points etc etc. From elsewhere on the site-
Quote:
Points are also awarded if the vehicle is fitted with safety features such as Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and seat belt reminders.
Once a total score is reached, it then translates into a star scale ie 250-300 points = 1 star, 300 -350 points = 2 stars etc etc.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i too believe the 5 star rating only means some safety in certain circumstances(a medium to low speed crash), i also think it gives people a false sense of security, lets face it an air bag only stops a head from hitting item x for a split second, when the car and you gets crushed/stoved in from a light pole or tree a 100th of a second later,............ more than likely your still gonna be pushing up daisys, but at least the star system brings cars up to a certain standard.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post