Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default Perusal; EMERGENCY STOPPING LANE DEATHS

http://www.ncis.org.au/web_pages/FAC...0-%20final.pdf
NCIS - National Coroners Information System.
Study into deaths in breakdown lanes, AUS - 2000/2001 through 2010

Quote:
There were twenty-nine emergency lane
deaths identified on NCIS (and at least an
additional twelve deaths currently under
investigation by a coroner).
Fatigue kills, see Case 19. Nothing will protect you from this source/representation of impact?! You will see a few news and pic examples of folk on long drives who veer off freeway class roads owing fatigue.

Coroner references my WA Drive Safe advice. (Sig).

NSW road safety group is currently looking at;
Breakdown lane widths;- an audit of all roads bearing left breakdown lanes, to see if the width is sufficient/or to national and state standard, this audit is about complete. NSW is determining 2.5-3.0m for specification, per national AUSROADS 'freeway' spec. (A freeway traffic lane is typically 3.5m wide).

The possibility of mandatory high-vis safety vests in cars/vans/SUV-4WD's. Be that application for 'new market' cars, OR for all registered cars (incl 4WD's). How to and specification. I'd expect EN471 and or AS requirement. Safety vests to this specification currently retail for as little as $4.95.

The possibility of hazard-warning triangle requirement, per the above application basis. Specification (EU/UN Spec), and number required. (I am suggesting through these channels - for 'new market' vehicles as a miniumum, and number of ONE. Since I accept that registered owners would be loath to fork out $9.95-$53 for one. The 'herd effect' then comes into play as the years advance. Regardless of application - a lead-in time of 3 years would be given).

Quote:
The state government has set up a working group to discuss breakdown lanes and vehicle safety.

It will look at improving the visibility of response vehicles, examining tow truck design to see if it is possible for all vehicles to have offside operation, and using additional warning devices for broken down cars like warning triangles.
http://www.parramattasun.com.au/news...s/2582726.aspx

Will have WA's Drive Safe's advice re use of a CB radio's road channel to alert approaching traffic of on road danger included into other state manuals.

Since this study, there have been, of course, numerous other fatals. (Plus multitudes of insurance payouts for damaged vehicles and infrastructure, injuries etc.

http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr...id_article=184

This crash is one of those in the NCIS study, you should be able to identify the case number:-
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...lping-daughter

Sarah Group.
http://www.sarahgroup.org/the-crash/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-visibility_clothing

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 04-07-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Perusal; EMERGENCY STOPPING LANE DEATHS

Interesting reading.

On a personal note - Im always suprised at the lack of Hazard-light use on cars which are broken down, its a quick way for traffic to identify that the car is stopped or in a awkward position.

Personally I think ADRs should specify that hazard lights should rapidly flash or by synched with flashing brake lights, instead of just using the normal blinker timing - just to make the lights seem more of a warning of danger.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem most of the time is drivers who use the emergency lane to overtake cars when in a traffic jam.

I have seen way too many people using bike lanes, parking lanes, breakdown lanes, all driven at high speed by morons who cant wait a few seconds.

Perhaps they need to put speed bumps in them to deter people using them as an extra lane?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
The problem most of the time is drivers who use the emergency lane to overtake cars when in a traffic jam.

I have seen way too many people using bike lanes, parking lanes, breakdown lanes, all driven at high speed by morons who cant wait a few seconds.

Perhaps they need to put speed bumps in them to deter people using them as an extra lane?
Yep, and people have been killed by morons doing this.

A better idea would be to use traffic light camera technology to snap people driving in the emergency lanes and dish out a fine to them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
ZcAmbo

The problem here in melbourne is they seem to be getting rid of the emergency lanes to make way for more lanes on the freeway IE. westgate bridge so if you break down now your are more likely to get rammed up the backside even with your hazzard lights on.
ZcAmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Interesting reading.

On a personal note - Im always suprised at the lack of Hazard-light use on cars which are broken down, its a quick way for traffic to identify that the car is stopped or in a awkward position.
Its one of the 'things to do' that I want (and teach) drivers to do 'automatically' - so its done without a second thought.

My sig has a link to WA's Drive Safe book, take a look at that text. I have similar in other state books, but NT, QLD and VIC are far behind with this stuff. WE COULD make the rule - give the rule (221),- a "mandatory" leaning, rather than its 'optional' operation - might chase aspect that up.

Quote:
Personally I think ADRs should specify that hazard lights should rapidly flash or by synched with flashing brake lights, instead of just using the normal blinker timing - just to make the lights seem more of a warning of danger.
Mmmm, we are bound to UNECE regs re this aspect, one recent flow on change is that hazards will momentarily activate under hard braking. But if you stop, its up to you to manually activate the hazards.

I'd like Rule 221(e) to go - here, the rule allows the use of hazard-warning lights on moving vehicvles under fog et al conditions, diminishing the signals 'emergency' intent. Leads to complacency. Doing so would mean a need to mandate the rear fog ADR, simply by deleting ADR 13 Part 8.5.1.

Jim Goose - don't get that beahviour so much on the F3, but we have had a few instances, they are actioned and Hornsby magistrates (visiting) are pretty tough on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZcAmbo
The problem here in melbourne is they seem to be getting rid of the emergency lanes to make way for more lanes on the freeway IE. westgate bridge so if you break down now your are more likely to get rammed up the backside even with your hazzard lights on.
Not good, but I guess no money or engineering impossibility to modify the structure to maintain the breakdown lane. I presume the limit is 80km/h?? Its only for the duration of the bridge I take it. Kinda bad luck eh?
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 04-07-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZcAmbo
Inconvenient for everybody yes, but probably less likely to result in death,(unless by road rage)
One of the problems I’ve seen in VIC is drivers pulling off on the right hand side.
i.e. they sit broken down in the middle of the freeway!!
I’ve also seen people pull over on the right when stopped by a cop.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes a very dangerous place the emergency lane, i can remember as a young buk, my then step dad/tow truck driver telling me someone killed in the emergency lane, he warned me if i`m broken down on the freeway/highway emergency lane and there`s a break in the traffic, get out of the car and get well away from it and the road,
and you only have to travel melbourne`s roads a short time to see the odd lunatics using the emergency lane as a spare lane .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt it is people who are using it as a lane which is a problem at all, rather it's traffic getting too close and side-swiping people on the side - or fatigued or drunk people drifting off the highway into the stopped vehicle in the emergency lane(the moth effect).
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I doubt it is people who are using it as a lane which is a problem at all, rather it's traffic getting too close and side-swiping people on the side - or fatigued or drunk people drifting off the highway into the stopped vehicle in the emergency lane(the moth effect).
Tell that to the families of people killed by impatient and reckless morons who have tried to bypass a traffic snarl by driving in the emergency lane, in WA a few years ago morons in their fully sick VL turbo trying to play mad tyte speed racer in peak hour on the freeway, clobbered a good samaritan who had stopped in the emergency lane to help someone else, he got killed for his kind gesture and the muppet driving the VL was sent to prison

Here is an interesting report on the subject, seems to document a lot of people killed in emergency lanes from people driving into the back of them:

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 04-07-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Addede link to report
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Tell that to the families of people killed by impatient and reckless morons who have tried to bypass a traffic snarl by driving in the emergency lane, in WA a few years ago morons in their fully sick VL turbo trying to play mad tyte speed racer in peak hour on the freeway, clobbered a good samaritan who had stopped in the emergency lane to help someone else, he got killed for his kind gesture and the muppet driving the VL was sent to prison

Here is an interesting report on the subject, seems to document a lot of people killed in emergency lanes from people driving into the back of them:

By far the biggest killer has been prime movers, suggesting that what I said of the moth effect (fatigued or drunk drivers drifting into an object that the driver has become fixated on from a distance) or getting to close to passing traffic - is the main cause of these deaths.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

Umm, see original post:-)

One of the crashes in that report:-
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...972751302.html
Old 04-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A safer (?) alternative would be to maybe have stopping bays every 100m(?) seperated by a barricade. Long enough say for a B-double to park and a tow truck in front..... of course the downside is if you break down and cant make the bay?

Most drivers dont pay much attension to hazzard lights or triangles sadly.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
A safer (?) alternative would be to maybe have stopping bays every 100m(?) seperated by a barricade. Long enough say for a B-double to park and a tow truck in front..... of course the downside is if you break down and cant make the bay?

Most drivers dont pay much attension to hazzard lights or triangles sadly.
indeed it`s very annoying when they don`t pay attention and run over your triangle/s, something that trucky`s are obliged to have or fined, yet car drivers don`t..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
indeed it`s very annoying when they don`t pay attention and run over your triangle/s, something that trucky`s are obliged to have or fined, yet car drivers don`t..
Sure, not yet.
ARR - Amendment package - February 2012, see Rule 227 update, page 7, for new triangle placement regulations for heavy vehicles. This will become state/territory law for all of us this year as each parliament sits:-
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Repo...mendments1.pdf

Trucks generally use the lesser quality (doesn't stand out as much, - day or night) AS3790 triangle type. That standard was created by the US DOT back when they had a maximum speed 55mph (88km/h). The standard being considered for cars/vans/4WD-SUV's however is the UNECE 27R type;

Has more effective reflectors 14lux (and 'wider') vs 11-12 for the OZ type. Wider inner fluroescent orange 'daytime' triangle.

UNECE 27R will be allowing LED technology type - (batteries) but the night reflector remains part of the design in case of battery failure.

The vests are the other item. Fords warning triangle is UNECE 27R compliant, and is hence the specification likely to be adopted per outline above. (NSW). Some way to go in studying all this, atm RMS are more focussed on left shoulder width issues and monies (budgets) needed to bring zones up to standard.

Working panel comprises a few GovCo folk, NSWPOL, NRMA etc and so on.

Last edited by Keepleft; 06-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

Fatigue kills, see Case 19. Nothing will protect you from this source/representation of impact?! You will see a few news and pic examples of folk on long drives who veer off freeway class roads owing fatigue.
Fatigue brought about by unrealistically low motorway speed limits for Australian distances, inducing highway hypnosis, microsleeps and distractions watching speedometer and HP cars hiding in bushes. Would be good to see a class action one day.

My Skoda is fully kitted with all the gear including a first aid kit - I think the full kit is now supplied with the car when new in Europe.

Now well into my weekly "milk run" between Czech republic and Germany along the Prague-Nuremberg motorway. My minimum speed is 120 km/h, my average somewhat higher. I get to the desto well before I have a chance to nod off into microsleeps and the relief from the stress and distraction of watching for HP cars is indescribable. Presumably the German and Czech police can obtain revenue from other sources. I do note that my concentration is very high at these speeds. If I decide the "take it easy" and slow down to Australian speeds I start to lose concentration.

The chance of hitting someone in the breakdown lane would be minimal because the fast traffic is in the outside line, the kerb lane is slower traffic, mainly trucks limited to 90 km/h. They are driving sedately enough (and they get pretty severely enforced rest breaks) to not get distracted enough to hit somebody. The whole driving environment is faster and safer (yes faster and safer) because of the driving protocols. None of the all-over-the-road-stuff you get in Australia with people having to overtake in the kerbside, no B doubles up your clacker (illegally) at 110 trying to threaten you out of the outside lane. With such untidy, wild west cowboy stuff no wonder people get collected in the breakdown lane.

LOL at the story of the warning triangle being run over. That pretty well sums up the Australian scene. Not looking forward to getting back!

Last edited by new2ford; 06-07-2012 at 07:26 AM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Kevaclone

I was almost the victim of ******* using the breakdown lane as an extra lane in Melbourne, Western Ring Road just before the western freeway(?, the one from Ballarat) entrance. They use it to get to the onramp/merge lane which is about 500m long so they can get that 10 cars ahead in the 5klm traffis jam. The hire car I was driving started to stall and warning lights on the dash came on so I pulled into the breakdown lane to stop only to hear screeching locked wheels, I glance in the mirror to see an EA falcon bearing down on me at a great rate of knots with locked tyres smoking. So I floored it just in time to avoid the crash. I then stopped again with the hazard lights already on. Not content with almost stoving in the back of the Yaris, the clown then proceeded to blast his horn and yell abuse at me......... and it was not just the one vehicle but the 5 others behind him also vented at me as they went around me. Apparently they seemed to think I was at fault for having the nerve to break down. So I can see how there could be deaths from that.

Then you get the fools who stop in the breakdown lane and either don't park over far enough, leaving their vehicle partially in the traffic lane or they proceed to fix what ever problem they have while standing or sitting(yes sitting, seen it many many times) in the actual traffic lane
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone

Then you get the fools who stop in the breakdown lane and either don't park over far enough, leaving their vehicle partially in the traffic lane or they proceed to fix what ever problem they have while standing or sitting(yes sitting, seen it many many times) in the actual traffic lane

Yup seen that too.... people with the car not pulled over far enough... sitting on the road.. or even laying under car with legs close to the actual road while car is on a standard scissor jack!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the way this forum is, it seams Melbourne had a major problem with people driving in the breakdown lane.

It's not common here, but when it does happen someone will usually spot them coming and block them by placing half their car in the breakdow lane.
Seen that quite a few times.

I like the idea of the triangles but surely many people ignore them or have no idea what they mean.
High vis clothes with the reflective strip make a big difference at night time. So much easier to spot.
I really need to leave a work vest in my car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I like the idea of the triangles but surely many people ignore them or have no idea what they mean.
Driver ed via the driver handboosk - trying to change all that. Plus, IF we mandate them, either for new market cars only, OR for all registered cars - eitherway done with a three year lead-in, then folk shold become more familiar with them. Take a look at my WA Drive Safe text. NSW and TAS even have a picture of the UN/ECE triangle.

Quote:
High vis clothes with the reflective strip make a big difference at night time. So much easier to spot.
I really need to leave a work vest in my car.
You can buy those Euro Spec and AS compliant vests, for about $4.95 in cheap retail outlets.

I was advocated two per car as mandatory supply, using the market 'herd effect' to come into play for other passengers. Some folk (at WP) reckon we should mandate supply based on the number of seats a car has. Kinda feel that goes a little too far?!