Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Nolz

Default Candy Red Diesel Sport - first impressions & pics!

So it's been a good week since I took delivery of my Focus. The day I picked it up was the scorcher of a Saturday before the big wet. High 30's and not a cloud in sight.
Good news is that the climate control held relatively well. Left it on AUTO and allowed it to do its thing. Not convinced it managed to get to the 22 degrees it was set at however it did a good job of keeping temps at bay considering how warm it was that day. I wasn't uncomfortable.

I chose to go with the diesel as I have long been convinced that it's benefits as far as economy and torque were concerned far outweighed the price of diesel (still cheaper than PULP in the XR6T I had) and any diesel engine rattle or roughness. And more importantly, diesels are generally built tough...and respond well to tuning

It's been fantastic so far, 600+km's in 9 days. Handling is extremely competent, suspension certainly NOT on the plush side. You can sense that it is the "sport" version by the way some bumps certainly dont go by unnoticed. Having said that though, the slight firmness is a small price to pay for how well it handles. And it does seem to be loosening up a little. I can sense that sway bars will more than likely be my first "performance mod". I do prefer my twisties and can feel that the Focus will benefit in this area.

Tyres are a good compramise between styling, grip and comfort. But a ***** to keep clean with the euro brake pads. Soft and dusty! Braking is ok without being good. It could do with feeling a little more confident on the stoppers. Better brake fluid, braided lines and a change of rotor and pad combo should help out a lot.
Having spent a little bit of time behind the wheel now I'm starting to think that the 18"s on the Ti with the 235's could be a little over tyred. Given the power of a stock focus and the trade off in comfort.

The stereo dash and dials are just to my liking. Coming from the FG however I MISS MY DIGITAL SPEEDO! Getting sat nav for free was massive bonus and am so glad it worked out that way. Maps are loaded via an SD card above the screen and sits in permanently. SATNAV is very easy to use, very fast to load and pick up on changes of direction. Programming is a bit fiddly (think texting before smart phones and touch screens).
Stereo is GOOD for a stock system, but I do have gear on order already

Seats are perfect for my frame and style of driving. At work I drive an STi and although the seats are perfect for track days they suck for every day life. My old falcon seats were too big and offered no support. The focus is a good in between.

Currently getting 850km per tank at 6.8l/100km. That's with giving it a good squirt here or there to aid with run in.

Pretty bloody impressed so far, could waffle on longer but will wait to answer specific Q's

Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Default Re: Candy Red Diesel Sport - first impressions & pics!

That looks and sounds good, glad you're a happy customer

Yes diesels do have a lot of tuning potential, I know from experience. I'd be interested to see how the newies fare.

The engine bay doesn't look too different, maybe a little more cramped.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Nolz

There's bugger all space to work with. Cables, lines, tubes left right and centre. A bit different from the ol Falcon!
Can't wait to start tinkering. I had a day off today and was tempted to drop by an exhaust shop. Had to make sure I didn't get there because I have no self control haha
Old 28-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
There's bugger all space to work with. Cables, lines, tubes left right and centre. A bit different from the ol Falcon!
Can't wait to start tinkering. I had a day off today and was tempted to drop by an exhaust shop. Had to make sure I didn't get there because I have no self control haha

Haha you're keen, it took me 3 years and a track day to start playing with mine. I don't know much about how warranty works with mods.

But it sure is fun

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
ConradP

Don't quote me but i've heard as long as it isn't the cause of a fault they can't say modding is to blame, so catback or something is fine if the engine dies, but if you've put bigger cams in or something they wont cover it.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Nolz

Yup! Been through all of this with previous cars. I know what happens when I start to chop and change it up. Just can't help it =P
Old 29-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
makattkd
RallyNav

Love to know what you have in store for the stereo upgrades.

I am surprised with 9 speakers there is no sub?
makattkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats a great looking machine...does it ride harsher than say a B or F series XR?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im warming to these, cant wait for the ST. I like it, nice pick up.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
Yup! Been through all of this with previous cars. I know what happens when I start to chop and change it up. Just can't help it =P
Do tell when you start modding, I'm thinking of tinkering a bit shortly, wanna give myself an early Xmas or New Year's present. Probably sway bars (can't seem to find the engine strut brace though) and K&N.

Lovely ride indeed, now I'm half regretting not plonkin' the additional $2.5k for the Sports Petrol
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by makattkd
Love to know what you have in store for the stereo upgrades.

I am surprised with 9 speakers there is no sub?
No sub.

Will probably delete (disconnect) the centre speaker. Definitely keeping the oem head unit. Will be looking to add an Audiocontrol LC6i to send out the audio signals via RCA to then amp up a set of splits for the front doors.
Will dynamat and pretty much invest what I have in amping up and replacing the front speakers. Depending on budget, I will add a monoblock and a small sub in the boot. If I'm out of funds I'll re use my clarion mononblock and shallow mount 10" which I made for the ute.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Thats a great looking machine...does it ride harsher than say a B or F series XR?
Can't say re: B series. However compared to my old FG XR6T ute, the Focus definitely deals with bumps more competently....but that is a comparo with a UTE after all.

Mind you that's with my 215/50/17's I suspect the tyre package with 18's could be a little too jarring.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysh
Do tell when you start modding, I'm thinking of tinkering a bit shortly, wanna give myself an early Xmas or New Year's present. Probably sway bars (can't seem to find the engine strut brace though) and K&N.

Lovely ride indeed, now I'm half regretting not plonkin' the additional $2.5k for the Sports Petrol
Got a phone call from Tunehouse today. The focus is too new at this stage so they don't have the software available as yet. However I was told to check in in a month as it's no the way!!! W00t! :

I'll probably start with an exhaust and tune, then sway bars and brakes. Hoping to make my way up to hitech mufflers on my next day off for a quote. I want it to flow better as prep for a tune however I'm well over noisy cars so it will have to be extremely QUIET!...with a nice note

Do you think you'd get a strut brace up in there? Barely enouh room for dust to settle! I'd definitely look into sway bars before that.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Im warming to these, cant wait for the ST. I like it, nice pick up.
Thanks mate.

The ST really looks to be a pearler. But that would have taken away from my "sensible" down grade

Can't wait to see them around though. I think are onto something with this one. I just hope that once supply switches over to the Thailand plant that quality doesn't start to suffer.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
ConradP

Quote:
Do you think you'd get a strut brace up in there? Barely enouh room for dust to settle! I'd definitely look into sway bars before that.
If it's anything as cramped like the LV you can fit a strut, but it's one that bents away from the windscreen, check out my thread "time to mod my lv" i did an install of one in that, tight but fits.
Old 29-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
Got a phone call from Tunehouse today. The focus is too new at this stage so they don't have the software available as yet. However I was told to check in in a month as it's no the way!!! W00t! :

I'll probably start with an exhaust and tune, then sway bars and brakes. Hoping to make my way up to hitech mufflers on my next day off for a quote. I want it to flow better as prep for a tune however I'm well over noisy cars so it will have to be extremely QUIET!...with a nice note

Yep, I guess the tune up for the LW Focus will take awhile.. Do keep me up to date, that's something I'm game for if it's not too expensive..

I think you'd be able to fit a strut brace there, but prolly a 3-point type and follows the contour of the hood. Whiteline sway bars are available now, so will look at that. Waiting to see now if any bodykits are out. A low bassy twin pipe exhaust would look good no doubt
Old 29-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
jonohoang

great write up of a review and love the colour of your car.
Makes the wait for our white sports petrol feel worthwhile.
Maybe should of paid extra for the diesel, but a bit late now as it would delay the order to next year :(

I'm sure you'll enjoy the focus for years to come
Jono
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Nice car, enjoy the new ride and the fuel savings...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
Nolz

Just a photo I like

And another for those wondering what the LED's in the rear look like.....=HOT!
Old 29-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #20
ConradP

Badass.

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=817

That's the strut bar I have on mine, see how it follows the shape of the trimmings, it might just suit your car as well, there isn't one for the mk3/lw on their site yet, but could be worth an email.
Old 30-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #21
Nolz

Thanks ConradP, I'll do my best to NOT email them just yet. Bad things happen when I find that bits and pieces are available =P haha

Thanks mate!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #22
Nolz

It happened!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpTrnOPMKdA
Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #23
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
Nice, not too noisy either. Felt any performance gains? And how much did it set you back?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
Nolz

Definitely revs a lot cleaner, smoother, more freely.

$850! Which isn't cheap but I was happy to pay it for the workmanship and peace of mind : )
Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #25
harveyr

Does the sat nav have fixed speed camera and school zone warnings?

Cheers.
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #26
Nolz

Unfortunately not :(
Old 26-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #27
Nolz

Just a few more photo's from the weekend. Managed to find time to wash her for the first time and even wack on a coat of wax. Such a relief to be washing and waxing a small car again. So quick, so easy and the results outstanding.

The best way to fully appreciate how your car is designed and looks is by waxing it. That way you better appreciate every curve and angle and all aspects of the cars design. Love it even more now!

Old 26-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #28
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The wheels on the Sport look like they will need a bit more effort in the cleaning department compared to the Titanium wheels, have you found cleaning them a pain and are you seeing much brake dust on them?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
Nolz

Being of euro heritage it does come with particularly soft pads so yes brake dust is a massive ******!

And yes it is also a massive pain in the **** to clean. There's simply no nice way of putting it haha

Having them nice and shiny for about a week could be worth it though...maybe :p
Old 26-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #30
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Nolz, I just noticed something that I hadn't previously. Have you done your own DRL's? Second from the bottom "horizontal" slat in the blank air intake I can see a silver part.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post