Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Nolz

Default RAIN + LW Focus = IN CAR POOL!

And the obvious...all windows were UP all doors were closed completely.

Today I had a few tradies come over so being as nice as I am, I took the focus out of the garage so that they could use it to cut up some architrave etc. without getting wet.

Parked the focus in the street (there's a reasonably steep incline on my street and the car was pointed up hill).

This evening I go to move it back inside and notice that my stereo cut out (aftermarket amps under seat). I put it in the garage and have a look to find that it is FARKEN SWIMMING IN A POOL OF WATER! The left side of the vehicle front and back has pooled about an inch of water. I didn't notice when I got in as it was dark and the driver side was dry.

Upon inspection and removal of the plastic grill/grate near the wipers at the base of the windscreen I can see that, that area contains some wires in conduit which lead downward, I assume INTO THE CABIN.

I upon putting my hand behind the passenger side carpet under the dash, its all wet in there. It's obviously coming in and down from behind the dash somewhere.

Anyone have any problems???? If not, BEWARE. I am livid! Car was perfect up until now. And this is a pretty big **** OFF PROBLEM!

HELP!

Can anyone confirm that the area under that plastic grate leads into the cabin? Is that where fresh air is drawn in for the HVAC and could this be the source of the flood??

Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: RAIN + LW Focus = IN CAR POOL!

The older model focus had a leak in the boot when the water would leak in through a panel join under the tail light. Not sure where this one is coming from but I would take it to ford, you may be able to get it fixed under warranty. If it is as serious as you say, it might even generate a recall.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Nolz

Will get onto ford first thing this morning. Gold luck to me, I guess.
Old 29-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
The older model focus had a leak in the boot when the water would leak in through a panel join under the tail light. Not sure where this one is coming from but I would take it to ford, you may be able to get it fixed under warranty. If it is as serious as you say, it might even generate a recall.
My boot leak turned out to be the drivers side hinge for the hatch. Was found the 3rd time it flooded, after the tail light seal was fixed twice prior.

If the leak was from a factory defect then it is certainly a warranty issue.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Nolz

Car is booked in for a look in on Monday. Lets hope they can find the source of the leak.

The boot is as dry as a bone so not an issue there. Having spoken to Ford staff this morning, it could be a result of poor drainage due the angle at which the car was parked on the hill. Water didn't flow straight down the windscreen and away, it may have pooled at the base of the windscreen and flowed back through the air in takes for the HVAC.

THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN! No matter how or where the car is parked. Someone should have mentioned to engineers that the earth is NOT flat and sometimes we have to park on in/declines in the rain!
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
warbo
Starter Motor

I had the exact same thing happen to my LR focus and it was caused by the pollen filter which is indeed under the windscreen on the passenger side. I took it to the dealership and had it fixed, there is a TSB for it on the LR not sure about your model though. Hope you get it sorted soon.
warbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Nolz

Comforting in a strange way to know that my cars problem not a random freak occurance.

I'll be sure to post up what Ford have to say once I get more info.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
brydie76
Moff-fan

Passenger cabin of my Fiesta flooded in a similar fashion less than a year ago (but the underlying "gaps" had been there for a while- assuming since it was built). For mine it was multiple leaks- one was a body seam!!!!

Mine has now also leaked into the boot in the past week and today I have more issues that require warranty claims (I believe). So share your pain definitely. Make sure they replace the carpets and underlay too when the repair it, otherwise god know what the smell will be like after a few months/years.

EDIT- oh, and my leaks occurred on relatively flat surfaces, so I would be very surprised if the incline had anything to do with yours. Put it this was- my sister's '98 Toyota can deal with rain on an incline, so our cars should be able to put up with it no matter what!!

Double edit- damn, just realised your Focus is the awesome red one with the cool mods. So sorry, that is a lovely car : (

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!

Last edited by brydie76; 02-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Nolz

Thanks for the reply Brydie76. I'll stop complaining now given the problems you're having :( It goes in tomorrow morning so I hope the problem can be replicated so that a fix can be implemented.

I've had the car in heavy rain/storms before with no issues at all. The only difference is the position in which it's parked (on the hill). Just that weekend I installed a dash cam so I have footage of where and how it was parked, hopefully that gives them a clue or two as of whats happened.

*shrugs*

We'll see
Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
brydie76
Moff-fan

Haha, feel free to complain! Shouldn't have this issue even once with any car, so you definitely have a right to be complaining about this : )

The way you describe it definitely sounds like the parking position contributed to it flooding, yeah. Good luck with the dealer tomorrow, they are normally quite good when you tell them the car is leaking (especially if you can show them what areas were/are still wet), the time is often in finding the source and putting all the bits back together after they pull the car apart to find the damn leak!!! : )

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be when Ford replace the pollen filter which is under the passenger side windscreen cowl.

They tend to break the clips and therefore it doesn't seal properly again and when it rains the passenger footwell fills up with water.

Happened to my LR Focus

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the LT series they moved the pollen filter inside the cabin Are you sure it is still in the engine bay on LW series?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
In the LT series they moved the pollen filter inside the cabin Are you sure it is still in the engine bay on LW series?
After having replaced one in my car i can tell you the pollen filter is definetly in the passenger compartment and that it could not be the cause as it is a slide in slide out arrangement with a cover on the side of the filter oh and its a ***** to get in and out because of some electricals they mount beside it, my guess is that something hasnt been assembled perfectly in the ducting down to the heating/ventilation unit or maybe a drain hole is blocked and it wasnt an issue till the car sat on an angle, either way i hope they find your prob without to much hassle.

mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would check the plastic cowl that should sit flush against to bottom of the windscreen. It covers a chamber on the engine side of the firewall and while that is supposed to drain away it may not have worked if parked on an angle.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Nolz

I have some encouraging news.

At least they were able to find the source of the leak and seal it. Currently carpet and sealant is drying. I couldn't get specifics of where the leak was coming from but I will be sure to chase that up when I pick it up.

Some mentioned that I should have the carpet replaced but to be honest, if they can dry it thoroughly I would prefer they leave it in place and not have to pull more of my car apart. We'll see what comes of this from here.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Try and leave the carpet in if possible. Leave it in the sun with all windows down as much as you deem safe. Request they explain exactly where and how it leaked so you know where to look should it happen again.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Nolz

Will do. They said it would be ready tomorrow but I said keep it there and air it out for another day to be sure. Hopefully I get some answers.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Nolz

They didn't seem too fussed about the whole ordeal. Meaning it appeared that it didn't take them long to locate the source of the leak, seal, test, dry and reassemble.

Paper work states that a body seam behind the passenger side wiper motor was the source of the leak.

Fingers crossed it will never happen again. I certainly won't be parking up hill in any rain, that's for sure!