Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 17-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Powerglide / Auto questions??

With 1200 kg drag car...4000 converter..
With trans brake... How does the trans brake work in conjunction
with converter ??
Also with 2 speed [obviously] with 28" tyres what would the ideal rear ratio be... On an 1UZ turbo 4.0 in 1200 kg car...
Yes its abit like how long is a piece of string?? I was thinking around 3.45 ratio ?? Being turbocharged....
Never used trans brake..Or auto ...

Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #2
GASXR6

Not sure exactly what you mean. If your convereter is the correct one for your combo and it will flash to say 4,000rpm then with the transbrake you should probably use a 3,500rpm limit and let the conveter flash the other 500. So activated transbrake with a 2 step or rpm limiter with 3,500rpm limit relaease the brake (button) and the converter will take up the other 500 and away you go. Oh and hold on!
Not sure of ratio, but it will be determined by your horsepower and how many rpm's you are doing across the line.
Old 18-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yea well ?? It seams turbo's like load and I see Mustangs run real quick with 3:27 / 3:45 ratios and my car is definitely lighter...
With my Falcon 5 speed I'm changing into fourth about 50 meters before finish line..Being 1 to 1 in 4th [126 mph] gearing on a good run and I guess the Celica will be going faster, being auto and much lighter....Close to same power, I hope...
So it still runs up on converter ?? Or do you hold it JUST under lock up on two step ? Then hit the trans brake ??? Sheesh much easier than manual and turbo....
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 18-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
GASXR6

Go into full stage, transbrake on, stand on the gas pedal with your rpm limiter on, and thats it.
Old 18-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
cjperformance
Ford Power.

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A fount of knowledge within the Cleveland arena. 

the trans brake is activated by engaging reverse at the same time as first gear. it usually works well to use a two step rev limiter thats activated by trans brake button, set the rev limit to around 400 rpm below your convertors max stall speed(as long as you are getting boost in a turbo application) then just hold the button down and hold throttle wide open, engine will stay at your set rev limit and car is held still until you release button, rev limit turns off and trans disengages reverse and takes off forward,, really bloody fast!!!
Old 18-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
crochunter
440cube Dart

Where do you buy the 2 step rev limiter from. As i have a transbrake in my car with a powerglide i was told not to hold it flat to the floor while holding in button. They reckon its better to only hold revs at a certain rev range below the stall rpm. Is this right.
Old 19-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

2 step can be part of stand alone ecu or MSD or most ignition systems have them....
I would like to fit one on my Ford ! But its a street car.. Tempting though.....
Not easy on cats either....
Two step in action http://rabidz.vidiac.com/video/84ab3...0ab72f82af.htm
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 19-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
GASXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
Where do you buy the 2 step rev limiter from. As i have a transbrake in my car with a powerglide i was told not to hold it flat to the floor while holding in button. They reckon its better to only hold revs at a certain rev range below the stall rpm. Is this right.
No definately have an rpm limiter on the transbrake. If you hold the pedal flat you will destroy the converter!!!!
Stay on the transbrake with rpm's up for as short a time as you can. It generates an enourmous amount of heat and will hurt your converter. You can trial what your rpm launch is by just changing the chip in the 2 step. I have a MSD 7AL3 in my car which has a inbuilt 3 step. Depending on what ignition you run will depend on the 2 step.
Old 19-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
cjperformance
Ford Power.

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A fount of knowledge within the Cleveland arena. 

thats right, dont use the trans brake with no rev limit on it. it will get very expensive!!you need the rev limit on to keep revs below convertors max stall. around 400rpm works ok but experimenting with that will produce the best launches for you.
Old 20-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
crochunter
440cube Dart

Can you buy a rev limiter for a crane 6 ignition
The black box one.
Old 20-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
supakel351

Quote:
Can you buy a rev limiter for a crane 6 ignition
The black box one.
if it the Hi6 no you can't use it as t/brake limiter and keep a upper limiter as well. i diched a whole crane system for that reason.
supakel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
crochunter
440cube Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by supakel351
if it the Hi6 no you can't use it as t/brake limiter and keep a upper limiter as well. i diched a whole crane system for that reason.

So would i better off ditching the crane and go and buy a MSD 7AL2.
Old 22-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
GASXR6

Quote:
So would i better off ditching the crane and go and buy a MSD 7AL2.
7al2 at least you can add limiters to it. Run a 3 step. burnout rpm, launch(t/brake)rpm, and high rpm.
Old 22-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Most aftermarket ECU's should have 2 step or some sort of launch control...
With turbo engines it sure helps them spool ....
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 27-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The convertor has it's own built in rev limiter. If it's built to stall at 4000 then that's about all it will do dependant on the engine's torque. If you want to restrict the start line revs to less than that then use a 2 step limiter.

Holding the revs on the transbrake for a long time is a definite no-no if you want any transmission life. Remember if you trash the clutches, etc in the trans the convertor will need to be split and cleaned also (at the very least).

Stage the car (preferably before your opponent until staging is 2nd nature to you), set the transbrake, take it to a few revs above idle and depending on how many lights you have on your side of the tree build the revs as the tree counts.
The heat buildup is using a transbrake especially around the 5-6000 rpm mark is massive. With proper care and lessons learnt well it is a great tool for a race car.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Its a TCI drag Glide and Domonello 4000 converter
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 30-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a smaller V8 that doesn't make heaps of torque i'd be inclined to use a rear ratio of 3.9 or shorter, especially with a glide. Also if you Converter is built tight, once you engage the transbrake and rev it the engine will probably have a hard time getting past the 4000 stall anyways. I'd be inclined just to learn how to gradually flash the converter on the 'brake once the yellow's start to flash. Remember these 1UZ's can be revved to 7000+!
Old 31-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-250
Being a smaller V8 that doesn't make heaps of torque i'd be inclined to use a rear ratio of 3.9 or shorter, especially with a glide. Also if you Converter is built tight, once you engage the transbrake and rev it the engine will probably have a hard time getting past the 4000 stall anyways. I'd be inclined just to learn how to gradually flash the converter on the 'brake once the yellow's start to flash. Remember these 1UZ's can be revved to 7000+!
With Argo rods and C.P pistons, Kelford cams and 75/ 180 springs
A few more rpm...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 31-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #19
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our standard Lexus in a BMW drag car we have revved to 8,000rpm without any hiccups. We are using a 3.9 ratio. but will be changing that to a 4.1 or higher with the turbo attached. The smaller engine needs the revs up with the turbo to get the best out of it.
With the trans brake, just stand on the go pedal with the button down when the lights come down. The converter will go up to the stall speed and you will launch with max boost and at the start of the torque curve. Just do not hold it on the limit for more than say 5 seconds as it will boil the fluid. also get the biggest trans cooler possible.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Depending on "turbo sizing", they need some load to build boost, just rpm doesn't do much on its own..I have a turbo manual XR 330 Dart block. With the power it makes its E/T isn't that good... It either wheel spins or spool takes place strong at about 3 gear...12.2 / 127 mph.. M/T "radials"..
Torque converters are great things when set up right !!!
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #21
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Depending on "turbo sizing", they need some load to build boost, just rpm doesn't do much on its own..I have a turbo manual XR 330 Dart block. With the power it makes its E/T isn't that good... It either wheel spins or spool takes place strong at about 3 gear...12.2 / 127 mph.. M/T "radials"..
Torque converters are great things when set up right !!!
The engine is working against the load of the box being locked in 1st and reverse! So the transbrake works a treat with turbos because they are building boost against the resistance.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
The engine is working against the load of the box being locked in 1st and reverse! So the transbrake works a treat with turbos because they are building boost against the resistance.
AHHH !!! Thats good news .. Just what I wanted to hear... Thanks...
Would help on turbo selection also...Maybe S400 SX...?? Or twice the $$ GT4202...
Daily driver GTE FG..