Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
cjfoo2001
Cjfoo

Default Ford focus 2004 starting issues

We have a manual 04 ford focus. It has intermittent starting problems, if cold it cranks, but won't start, eventually get it to start then no problems until it's left to sit for a while, then won't start again. It's getting spark and the fuel pump seems good.
Have read need to reboot ecu/computer, can anyone tell me how to do this

We have had a number of mechanics look at it, all baffled. I've read in this forum other people have said they are aware of starting issues with the focus, can anyone give me more information please?

Really need some help with this, thx

Last edited by cjfoo2001; 12-01-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added more information about problem
cjfoo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Ford focus 2004 starting issues

It would be helpful for a diagnosis if you could share a bit more info on the car mate How long has it had this problem ? Has it had regular servicing done ? What fuel are you running in it ? It could be something simple or it could be more complex I would start by looking at all the basic things first, air and fuel filters, plugs and leads. To do an ECU reset simply disconnect the (-) negative cable from the battery and let the car sit for 30 mins or so. After that time reconnect the cable and drive the car as you would normally do

Last edited by Russ; 12-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
cjfoo2001
Cjfoo

thanks Russ. We've done a full service, plugs, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter. Service history is good, always serviced by ford, we've only owned it a couple of months. Running unleaded fuel. We will reset the ECU as you said, we did do that but didn't give it 1/2 hour. I read there is a computer upgrade and one bloke said it did fix the issue but if there was on 60km of fuel left, the problem happened again. Funny though, it was near empty yesterday and we put fuel in it last night from jerry can, then it started first up this morning, hasn't done that in a while. So we might be getting somewhere. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

It may have had an airlock in the fuel tank, but if possible I wouldn't let it run too low in the future as if there's any rubbish in the fuel tank it will suck it up and could foul your injectors as well :( It might pay you to fill it with a tank of minimum 95 RON fuel and give that a go. As I understand it these engines will run on E10 but they are really designed to run on a higher octane fuel and a minimum of 95 RON is best. When I first took delivery of my new Focus they filled it with E10 and although it ran OK on it there was a noticeable difference in performance and MPG when I refilled and ran it on 98 RON. Whenever possible that's all I use in it now.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
cjfoo2001
Cjfoo

Thanks Russ, We left it for the hour and is still having the problem. We will fill the tank and see what happens.
Old 17-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
small_ford
Starter Motor

It might be worth buying a Haynes manual. If it is the original Focus model - Mk1 or LR in Australia I think, the manual is # 4167. You can order on-line from Haynes UK. It has a thorough description of how to analyse such faults. A good auto electrician might be good to consult, as the fault is likely to be in the ignition system, possibly in the fuel system, or an ECU/sensor/immobilisor related fault. Good luck.
small_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
cjfoo2001
Cjfoo

Hi Russ, thanks for your help. We have fixed the problem. Inside the fuel tank is a high pressure fuel line from the fuel pump to the fuel inspection plate. This had a small crack in it causing the car to lose fuel pressue and the fuel to drain off. Once we replaced the high pressure line inside the tank, it fixed the problem and is starting perfectly every time. I also advise to replace the fuel pump if your car has around 100,000 k's as a safetly precaution. The fuel pump can be bought at Repco for roughly 1/6 of the cost of genuine. We are qualified mechanics. We done everything possible, this was the only thing that fixed the problem and now the car starts straight away all times.
Old 18-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was fuel related ....... A happy ending ..... pleased to hear it's sorted mate

Cheers