Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #31
Nolz

Default Re: LW Focus - Aftermarket Parts.

I've found that the stock stereo is decent for...well a stock stereo. I do have it booked in for a front speaker upgrade and addition of a sub, and amp to power it all.

This will be the first time I've had anyone work on my cars stereo so pretty keen to see how it turns out. Not happening til mid Feb though.

I would ask Ford about your car though. If you haven't been playing it at full blast and generally being pretty sensible about it all, there's no reason why they'd bugger up. Hit up ford!
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #32
ConradP

The focus' have a great stereo for just a stock car stereo, mine isn't even the upgraded sony one and it's awesome, I was thinking of getting a small sub under the back seats or something though, one day...

Back on topic about your speakers though, if you haven't been playing it at like 30 (or whatever the max is int he new one) constantly then I'd check it out, I play mine reasonably loud and they are still good after a year.
Old 17-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #33
blatchie

Ill try warranty however I have not been blasting them you dont need to .12 is too loud. Had a quote on a sub and amp $638 installed they will also disable the dash speaker for me. That price was on a slimline sub. Just conned super cheap out of some safe deploy sheepskin seatcovers for $250 best price I have seen them.

Almost time to get ignition images to photograph it
Old 19-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #34
sysh
A few screw loose

.. my K&N should be arriving any day now, blasted Christmas postal overload has slowed down the delivery time..sigh
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #35
Nolz

Noticed today, whilst locked out of the house.... that our LW's have factory fitted strut braces (my diesel sport does). So won't be replacing that any time soon.

Good stuff Ford!
Old 19-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #36
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
Noticed today, whilst locked out of the house.... that our LW's have factory fitted strut braces (my diesel sport does). So won't be replacing that any time soon.

Good stuff Ford!
It does? engine mounted strut braces? never noticed any.. Sport/Titanium feature?
Old 19-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #37
Nolz

On top of the strut towers and goes up and under the plastic shroud at the base of the glass. Remove the plastic grills near the wipers and you can get a good look in
Old 19-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
On top of the strut towers and goes up and under the plastic shroud at the base of the glass. Remove the plastic grills near the wipers and you can get a good look in
I think it's the same as the LV, It has them but it's a 2 piece thing, that attaches to the frame of the car, one on each side.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #39
sysh
A few screw loose

Just received my K&N drop in air filter, will fix it later tonight and field test it over the Christmas break
Old 21-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #40
Nolz

Nice! Look forward to seeing if it makes any real world difference on our cars.

Way back when....(10yrs ago+) the difference was quite noticable in fuel savings, maybe a little bit of performance and induction noise. These days the OEM stuff seems to be more than acceptable, even for performance use.

I'll probably still buy one after I free up some cash :p
Old 22-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #41
sysh
A few screw loose

Okay, any idea what size ratchet I need to get to unscrew those screw/nut thinggie? Looks like I need to make a trip to Repco.

I think the gains from the air-filter will be minimal at best, but I do hope it smoothen outs the acceleration at low/mid revs
Old 22-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #42
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From memory it's about 7mm. Might be best to get a range anyway - they aren't that expensive. I got a mini-kit from Supercrap that had a range of sockets and screwdriver fittings which I've found useful under the bonnet and in other situations around the house etc.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
From memory it's about 7mm. Might be best to get a range anyway - they aren't that expensive. I got a mini-kit from Supercrap that had a range of sockets and screwdriver fittings which I've found useful under the bonnet and in other situations around the house etc.
Thanks, indeed it was 7". But I got the whole range just to be safe. The Focus' engine is so snug and it was a little tricky trying to navigate the edges to get to the last screw at the back near the fuses. Will post up photos shortly.

But Part 1 complete, now to look for some rear sway bars
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #44
josem

[quote=sysh]Although I'm not really a mad tuner/modder with my rides, a little aftermarket goodies to bolt-on (e.g. air filter, CAI, exhaust, ECU) doesn't really hurt, I guess? Just starting up a thread to cater for LW owners (or future owners) whom would like to spruce up their Focus a little.

Would you know what is the KN oil filter part no. for the 2011 1.6 LW Focus ? Would it be the same as for the previous 1.8 LV Focus ? I was trying to look for it in amazon but it seems the americans only have the 2.0 engine.
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #45
josem

I just want to share my experience with high flow air filters. My V6 magna has a K&N filter installed for the last 6 years and I am worried that it is not filtering the air as well as paper filter because I could not find the same amount of dirt build up as in our family's other 3 cars that uses ordinary paper filter that I have to replace more often.
Old 17-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you cared for the K&N as instructed with oiling after cleaning?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #47
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Have you cared for the K&N as instructed with oiling after cleaning?
Yes I do the regular cleaning and oiling. I am a bit **** about the maintenance of my cars. I always use the old school test on air filters. Hold them against the sun and if you cannot see the light, replace them. The paper filters seems to be clogged with dust and black gunk and will not let any light through, but the K & N filters even when a bit dusty, i can still see the light or sunlight even after 20,000 of travelling.
Old 23-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #48
Kizza675
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
The focus' have a great stereo for just a stock car stereo, mine isn't even the upgraded sony one and it's awesome, I was thinking of getting a small sub under the back seats or something though, one day...

Back on topic about your speakers though, if you haven't been playing it at like 30 (or whatever the max is int he new one) constantly then I'd check it out, I play mine reasonably loud and they are still good after a year.
I put an 800W sub and amp in mine, as well as a pioneer fully integrated AV head unit.
Sound is crisp as anything, blasting every Saturday night, still clear sound,been going well for a year
Kizza675 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #49
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizza675
I put an 800W sub and amp in mine, as well as a pioneer fully integrated AV head unit.
Sound is crisp as anything, blasting every Saturday night, still clear sound,been going well for a year
How big is the sub? I've been interested in getting a small one for under the rear or passenger seat with an amp for mine just to get that little punch of the low notes, rather than it being from the doors rattling my windows.
Old 24-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #50
Kizza675
Starter Motor

it's a 12" I believe.
It's relatively small but considering the size of the vehicle its ideal.
it sits against the back of the rear seats in the boot.
You can go as low profile as you like really.
Once i work out how to add images i'll put some up wherever it's appropriate to put them for those who are interested.

800W is plenty, running at (vol) 7 or 8 (depends on the song) gives me beautiful clarity and punch, on Fridays and Saturdays it goes up to 14 or 15 naturally.

On the matter of aftermarket parts in general; add a supercharger or a turbo as an add on?
I've driven both the XR5 turbo and the TDCi as well but i don't know how they compare to a supercharger?

Last edited by Kizza675; 24-01-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: additional information
Kizza675 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #51
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem
Yes I do the regular cleaning and oiling. I am a bit **** about the maintenance of my cars. I always use the old school test on air filters. Hold them against the sun and if you cannot see the light, replace them. The paper filters seems to be clogged with dust and black gunk and will not let any light through, but the K & N filters even when a bit dusty, i can still see the light or sunlight even after 20,000 of travelling.
Yea, I usually clean my K&Ns once a year.. probably after 20k. I do hear from people that it may clog up the throttle body, but i dont seem to have that problem. So far so good, the car throttle does feel a little lighter on low-mid revs.. fuel consumption seems a tad better, but not very noticeable since i havent been driving much the past month..