Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New laws may stop some high speed chases?

I guess you arent going to run (just cos you were speeding) unless you've done something serious (like armed robbery) when jailtime is a posibility! Although, I suppose these would be max sentences, and only if you cause damage?
May help though...

From HERALD SUN.
TOO many times, Victorians have woken to the dreadful news that someone has been killed in a police pursuit. Sometimes, the fleeing driver is killed.
Digital Pass

Sometimes, it's their passenger. And sometimes, it's an innocent motorist going about their lawful business who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Police pursuits, and how to manage them, have been a vexed issue for decades. Police exercise judgment when they decide whether to pursue a car. But too often it ends in tragedy.

That's why the Sunday Herald Sun welcomes moves by law enforcement to have jail terms boosted for hoons who flee from police and put their own lives at risk, as well as the lives of the pursuing police and members of the public.

Our exclusive report today shows that a move by the Police Association to boost jail sentences for those who flee police has won support from Victoria Police and the State Government.

If passed, the new laws would see those who flee from police face jail terms of up to three years, instead of the paltry six-month maximum that exists now.

Will that mean that a hoon who plans to run from police in a stolen car will decide not to? Possibly not in the short term.

But in the medium to longer term, it sends a powerful message that society believes running from police, usually at high speeds, is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

Police Association secretary Greg Davies says the "message will start to hit home" if fleeing drivers find themselves locked up for three years.

"Criminals will have to consider a lengthy period behind bars before deciding whether to put their foot down on the accelerator or brake," he said.

The figures are appalling. The Evaluation of Pursuits report, released in May, found 30 people had been killed in Victorian police pursuits since 2002.

Last year alone, there were 721 police pursuits, with 102 ending in collisions and three people killed.

Police are always debating their pursuit strategies and trying to find ways to make them safer. That debate should continue.

Anything that can be done to cut the number of pursuits should be encouraged, which is why the Sunday Herald Sun supports this push by the Police Association, and welcomes the early support shown by the Baillieu Government and Victoria Police.

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: New laws may stop some high speed chases?

So the solution to stopping people dying in high speed chases is to send them to prison once they are caught..

Can anyone see the basic flaw in that logic?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
prydey
Rob

if the threat is prison, they will just try to run harder and faster.

personally i think its a very tough position the police find them in. do nothing and a group of people lambast them for how soft they are and they should do something, but when they do try to do something, another group of people lambast them and say they made a bad situation worse. its a no win.

lets not forget who the criminals are. the cops are only doing their job most of the time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
BHDOGS
Banned

well i keep saying chopping there hands off will solve the problem but nooooooooo thats to harsh people have rights to smash into you and kill you at high speed the second and third time they do it
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7cTI623Vg
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder what the % is of chase deaths are of real criminals? Not just speeders.
If it is mainly of real crims, this will make no difference.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

In NSW we've had Skye's Law (Google it for more info/why it's called that), since 2010, for high speed chases. If you get caught you face 3 years gaol, for repeat offenders it's 5 years. Has it stopped them, No. Has it reduced the number of them, Don't know?

If you're breaking the law, breaking another one isn't going to bother you. Good idea in theory, Yes. Good idea in practise, possibly?
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I wonder what the % is of chase deaths are of real criminals? Not just speeders.
If it is mainly of real crims, this will make no difference.
At the start of a car chase, a basic instinct response happens in most people called "Flee or fight"
it's pretty obvious that the "flee" response is much stronger /default reaction to a threat.

Sure, you can't expect the police to let a car thief get away but what about a stupid bogan driving his own car?
Coppers know where they live, let them go for now, they'll be picked up in their own driveway without endangering anyone.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
well i keep saying chopping there hands off will solve the problem but nooooooooo thats to harsh people have rights to smash into you and kill you at high speed the second and third time they do it
So we will make them completely disabled - meaning we will have to support them for the rest of their lives? Top idea that one!

I believe that those who display incorrect grammar deserve to have one finger removed for each violation. You are hereby judged guilty.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This seems a good idea to me.

I'd say many of us have faced the same choice in the past including myself.
Life (and surviving it) is all about choices we make, these choices are ours only, no one else can or should be blamed for the consequences of the wrong one.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The question is - does it work? If it doesn't, then we put people away for a lot longer, pay more to keep them at her majesty's pleasure, then release them with no rehabilitation and more criminal contacts than when they went in. Lose - lose situation, but the "get tough on crime" mob think they have actually done something productive.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And how will they catch these people if they dont stop and police arent allowed to chase them??

If police dont have a clue who they are whats the point of the law?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I'd say many of us have faced the same choice in the past including myself.
really? i would find that disturbing if the thought of running has entered 'many' of peoples heads.

i think people only run when they have done something wrong and have a lot to lose. i've had the blue and reds come on behind me before and never has the thought to do a runner ever entered my head.

i'd say the people that do the running are those who are already in someone elses car or under the influence of a substance.

in these situations the cops are on a hiding to nothing. they can't win. there are too many stupid laws that protect the guilty.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
really? i would find that disturbing if the thought of running has entered 'many' of peoples heads.

i think people only run when they have done something wrong and have a lot to lose. i've had the blue and reds come on behind me before and never has the thought to do a runner ever entered my head.

i'd say the people that do the running are those who are already in someone elses car or under the influence of a substance.

in these situations the cops are on a hiding to nothing. they can't win. there are too many stupid laws that protect the guilty.
Just because YOU haven't felt like running does not mean others feel the same. I have had the urge to go for it - there would have been no way for the police to catch me, it was dark (so they did not see my number plates), I was in my street/race car, and there was no-one around. I did however pull over and copped a slap on the wrist for a burnout. These days I would probably run because the penalties are so much harsher. No, I don't do drugs. No, I have never partaken in a criminal activity. The threat of a huge penalty (loss of licence, loss of car, public humiliation, etc etc), and the possibility of escaping it makes for a very strong encouragement to run
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Just because YOU haven't felt like running does not mean others feel the same. I have had the urge to go for it - there would have been no way for the police to catch me, it was dark (so they did not see my number plates), I was in my street/race car, and there was no-one around. I did however pull over and copped a slap on the wrist for a burnout. These days I would probably run because the penalties are so much harsher. No, I don't do drugs. No, I have never partaken in a criminal activity. The threat of a huge penalty (loss of licence, loss of car, public humiliation, etc etc), and the possibility of escaping it makes for a very strong encouragement to run
here's some free advice then. don't be a knob on the street to start with!!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
here's some free advice then. don't be a knob on the street to start with!!
Live in a glass house do you? Is the air thinner up there? Like to feel superior?
Most of us have had a mental burp or two when we were younger. I chucked a skid on a deserted street late at night in a country town in the wet. Big deal. These days we equate this behaviour to fiddling with kids, and the indignant self righteous froth at the mouth when they hear of this disgraceful behaviour.
If i was treated the way people are today for my indescretion, I would not be able to hold my medical degree, nor operate on kids with burns, or treat you in hospital for a smashed up face. Is that a good or a bad thing? Maybe I should be in jail learning how to break into your house with the other inmates.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

What happens if a chase originating in one state crosses over to another, do the police cross the border into a different jurisdiction?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
What happens if a chase originating in one state crosses over to another, do the police cross the border into a different jurisdiction?
I can't speak for other states, but i know that the ACT and NSW Police can cross between ACT/NSW border, particularly in and around Queanbeyan.

Regarding police chases; quite often, the people running aren't your normal citizen with the odd speeding fine. They might have one, or several warrants out for their arrest for an array of offences.

Fair enough for the coppers not to pursue if they know for a fact they can grab the bloke at a later date, but if you don't know who they are, or why they're running, then surely we'd all prefer the cops to catch them and find out? What if they'd just murdered your family and were on the run, but police didn't pursue...

It's a tough job for the cops, damned if they do, damned if they don't...
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Yes they can (but they have to be aware of the protocols applicable to the other state). You could imagine that if this wasnt allowed, then towns along borders would be a hotbed of crime as criminals would simply flee across the border. Normal practice would be for the pursuers to call ahead to the other states force who would then takeover the pursuit once they were in position to do so.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Another police state crock. The reason there are so many chases now is because of the hoon laws.... Those likely not to stop don't stop because their car is going to get impounded.... Now they are more likely to spend a couple of years in jail = take more risks = more desperation = more carnage..... Seriously do these cretins making these laws have half a brain between them...................?

Cue all the hand wringers and those that want a full on police state to back the gestapo....
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always said that if someone steals my car, knowing the lenient treatment they'd get in court, I actually hope they do die in a high speed chase. As long as no one else is hurt, what's the loss to society?

The moment you put restrictions on whether police can and cannot chase criminals instead of relying on cops judgement in each case, you will open a massive tin of worms where there would be a massive increase in people doing runners, as they would know that all they have to do is drive fast and the police won't chase them.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
So we will make them completely disabled - meaning we will have to support them for the rest of their lives? Top idea that one!

I believe that those who display incorrect grammar deserve to have one finger removed for each violation. You are hereby judged guilty.
Yeh your idea of being in and out of prison lost lives and the disabled people they cause we will have to support is much better **** them and there hands my axe is my buddy chop chop chop
Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #23
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Another police state crock. The reason there are so many chases now is because of the hoon laws.... Those likely not to stop don't stop because their car is going to get impounded.... Now they are more likely to spend a couple of years in jail = take more risks = more desperation = more carnage..... Seriously do these cretins making these laws have half a brain between them...................?

Cue all the hand wringers and those that want a full on police state to back the gestapo....
Yeh the reason people run is because of the hoon laws oh know the hoon laws it must be the same reason people burn there house down when it's rates times because there afraid they will lose there house and the reason people shoot parking inspectors because of the tickets here's an idea how bout people tale responsibility for there actions even if it's an accident and man up instead of it being the laws or the government or the state or the pigs or there parents or the teachers oh woah is me my car will be impounded for a month how will I live oh I know I'll run and crash and kill someone oh yes now you feel better just remember tho dont chop of there hands
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh your idea of being in and out of prison lost lives and the disabled people they cause we will have to support is much better **** them and there hands my axe is my buddy chop chop chop
Can you translate this into english?
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
383 GXL
Starter Motor

Quote:

no i dont think they have
383 GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those that want to run will keep running, a penalty after the fact is the last thing on their mind,
most are risking double or nothing anyway and getting away still is more appealing than talking to plod..
Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeh the reason people run is because of the hoon laws oh know the hoon laws it must be the same reason people burn there house down when it's rates times because there afraid they will lose there house and the reason people shoot parking inspectors because of the tickets here's an idea how bout people tale responsibility for there actions even if it's an accident and man up instead of it being the laws or the government or the state or the pigs or there parents or the teachers oh woah is me my car will be impounded for a month how will I live oh I know I'll run and crash and kill someone oh yes now you feel better just remember tho dont chop of there hands
Wow ! you said all that with one breath
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Again... since in the previous thread about Police chases you missed it.

In QLD, police has a no pursuit policy.

In Townsville there has been over 300 car thefts in the first 4months of this year. These car thieves have driven DELIBERATELY at 100kmh in suburban streets... no police pursuit.
They have driven at high speed through red lights... no police pursuits
They have done burnouts in front of Police stations.. no police pursuits
They have driven against the flow of traffic.. no police pursuits

These guys have been stealing cars and driving as far as Mt Isa and Cairns.

On 4WD was stolen in Cairns and driven to Townsville early one morning and driven deliberately towards oncoming cars, it then knocked over a cyclist and ran into another 4WD rolling several times... NO POLICE PURSUED THEM!

THE POLICY DOESNT WORK

If you prefer the scum of the earth to have a free hand and steal and do as they want with little to no chance of being caught then sorry that is not the society I want to live in....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #29
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

That's different, if the car has been stolen then copper chopper with stinger missiles to dispense swift justice and then buy the poor person that had their car stolen a new one out of government revenue savings from no trial or imprisonment.

This law spoke about in the article is nothing more than kneejerk politician looking tough crap that will achieve nothing but make them look tough on crime to people with single digit IQs that watch Today Tonight and A Current Affair.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

how hard is it to set a road block and hit them with the electric prong ffs

if they wanted to stop this kind of stuff they could
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post