Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
browser351
Landcruiser 200

Default Another Dealership Goes Under

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/...ershi/2658823/
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Another Dealership Goes Under

Mmmm, borrowed too much to keep going or borrowed too much to support an unsupportable lifestyle?

Sounds more like the latter.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't think the dealership has gone, it's the parent company. The dealerships themselves are still operating and will be sold off as such.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

A vague rumour is currently doing the rounds that a lot of the current Melbourne Ford dealers are looking at handing back the keys so to speak in the not too distant future. I know nothing more than the rumour, would be interesting to hear if there is any substance to it.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Don't think the dealership has gone, it's the parent company. The dealerships themselves are still operating and will be sold off as such.

Peter Hedge is a very good operator. I worked with him on the liquidations in the 80s. He will get the absolute best result.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A very sad business .......... going out of business, i would not like to be operating a dealership unless it was for jaguar/lamboghini/rolls royce or a vehicle that sells to clientele with nice fat wallets.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
A very sad business .......... going out of business, i would not like to be operating a dealership unless it was for jaguar/lamboghini/rolls royce or a vehicle that sells to clientele with nice fat wallets.
There was one of those in Sydney that went under a couple of years ago, Rick Damelian.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.graysonline.com/promotions/wa-contractor
Happening everywhere. You only have to watch Graysonline each week, different companies/industries.................
Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
There was one of those in Sydney that went under a couple of years ago, Rick Damelian.
Just goes to show what a tuff industry it is, especially in Australia.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Just goes to show what a tuff industry it is, especially in Australia.
When you treat your customers like crap, and lie to their face, is it any wonder they go under? It is the culture of this chain that has let them down, and a lack of enthusiasm for the product.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same thing happened in the USA, too many Ford (same applies to Chev etc) and some closed, making the remaining Ford dealers stronger as they picked up the sales .
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
When you treat your customers like crap, and lie to their face, is it any wonder they go under? It is the culture of this chain that has let them down, and a lack of enthusiasm for the product.
That sounds a bit harsh mate, there are people that have good experiences with the products and services .
Old 04-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
That sounds a bit harsh mate, there are people that have good experiences with the products and services .
Whilst that is correct, far too many dealers have left many bitter tastes in people with their post sale antics. Ford dealers are over-represented in the poor after sales service statistics.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
We have dealt with 3 of the 4 sites, and they have all been a disappointment. They lied about my first allocation XR8 and denied conversations that we had had leading into the sale. They stopped short of calling me a liar. They actually did when there was a fault in the wife's Territory, which was easily fixed by a brake light switch when we insisted and pushed back.

I don't think I am being harsh enough, and their call after the service to see if we were happy was a waste of my time too, as no follow-up ever occurred. I know others who have had similar dealings, so it is no surprise that their customers have voted with their feet.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
We have dealt with 3 of the 4 sites, and they have all been a disappointment. They lied about my first allocation XR8 and denied conversations that we had had leading into the sale. They stopped short of calling me a liar. They actually did when there was a fault in the wife's Territory, which was easily fixed by a brake light switch when we insisted and pushed back.

I don't think I am being harsh enough, and their call after the service to see if we were happy was a waste of my time too, as no follow-up ever occurred. I know others who have had similar dealings, so it is no surprise that their customers have voted with their feet.
To be fair this is normal, not just Ford dealerships, or the ones in question. Sadly customer service is now a thing of the past, we are all on our own.

I sit back with interest waiting to see who takes this business on, if anyone. The biggest problem with SCAG is that its the mixed franchises within the business, you have to find a buyer that all of them agree to and take on board as a franchisee. While one group might be good for Ford they may not be good for BMW or Nissan. You cant simply sell it to anyone and have the franchisors agree. It will be sad if they have to close them down but we have seen it with the biggest Ford dealer in Australia (Bryan Byrt Automotive Group). It had the same problem with a mixed franchise group.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
To be fair this is normal, not just Ford dealerships, or the ones in question. Sadly customer service is now a thing of the past, we are all on our own.

I sit back with interest waiting to see who takes this business on, if anyone. The biggest problem with SCAG is that its the mixed franchises within the business, you have to find a buyer that all of them agree to and take on board as a franchisee. While one group might be good for Ford they may not be good for BMW or Nissan. You cant simply sell it to anyone and have the franchisors agree. It will be sad if they have to close them down but we have seen it with the biggest Ford dealer in Australia (Bryan Byrt Automotive Group). It had the same problem with a mixed franchise group.
I wouldn't say customer service is a thing of the past. I've just finished my job as a retail manager and customer service was drummed into my staff from their very first interview. It's about finding the right people and the right managers and recognising their work. Some business owners care about the dollar more than their staff without realising it's the staff that make them the dollar.

The worst thing I found was customers coming in telling me my price was too high and they could get it up the road for cheaper. Well d***head what the hell are you doing here then...??
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #17
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post

The worst thing I found was customers coming in telling me my price was too high and they could get it up the road for cheaper. Well d***head what the hell are you doing here then...??

This comment just sums it up really - the retailers contempt for the customer!

Yet you profess to beat the customer service drum?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #18
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post

Contempt??? Please mate pull the other one!

These people are purely shopping on price and price alone. When you've been in the game as long as I have you learn how to spot these people and unless you give it to them for next to nothing they will not be happy. I'm not always going to match a price, sometimes I can't. But what I will give you is the best possible experience and after sales service I can and if that isn't worth paying a little more then there is nothing I can do for you.

Go and pay a few dollars somewhere else and then come on here and complain how bad your dealer is...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #19
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I wouldn't say customer service is a thing of the past. I've just finished my job as a retail manager and customer service was drummed into my staff from their very first interview. It's about finding the right people and the right managers and recognising their work. Some business owners care about the dollar more than their staff without realising it's the staff that make them the dollar.

When there are multiple dealers selling a product which is identical no matter where you buy it, aside from giving it away at no profit, the ONLY thing a dealer can offer is customer service.
Car buying has turned into a customer centred business, Ford AU has realised this, but the old boys dealer club has to follow suit.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #20
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

wow that business has a lot of marques under its banner, Ford, Bmw, Renault, Land rover, I think I spied Nissan , jaguar, Mitsubishi, kia

Last edited by barnz_xr8; 08-06-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: listed marques in link.
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #21
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post

You obviously have never dealt with the public..........
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #22
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Does not mean that you can take the baggage you have from other customers and treat others who are reasonable and respectful like dirt. I worked with the public for 8 years, and treated everyone well. The knobs are knobs, but they do not mean you tar everyone with the same brush.

I think we are starting to see the problem here - a mix of moronic customers, and jaded sales staff who see everyone in the same light. Customers need to realise that they get what they pay for, and being respectful will get you a long way, but retailers also need to appreciate their customers, as the doors will close without them. Case in point being this dealer.

I urge everyone to rethink their philosophies, and focus on better relations. Don't let one bad experience sway your thoughts, but be quick to shut down negative relationships, and foster the positive ones. Sounds simple, but many don't do this.
5 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Does not mean that you can take the baggage you have from other customers and treat others who are reasonable and respectful like dirt. I worked with the public for 8 years, and treated everyone well. The knobs are knobs, but they do not mean you tar everyone with the same brush.

I think we are starting to see the problem here - a mix of moronic customers, and jaded sales staff who see everyone in the same light. Customers need to realise that they get what they pay for, and being respectful will get you a long way, but retailers also need to appreciate their customers, as the doors will close without them. Case in point being this dealer.

I urge everyone to rethink their philosophies, and focus on better relations. Don't let one bad experience sway your thoughts, but be quick to shut down negative relationships, and foster the positive ones. Sounds simple, but many don't do this.
You worked with the public for 8 years. Your only a pup.........
Old 09-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #24
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Keep on topic, guys.

Sometimes (and often when a business is failing) those at the coal face who want to assist clients are given no support by management who know what the real picture is.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #25
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
There was a lot of stuff going on there that led to the closure.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #26
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
You worked with the public for 8 years. Your only a pup.........
Yep, that's the attitude. Nice work mate, put everyone else down and treat em like ****. Glad you don't work for me.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #27
JIm260
2004 XR8

The Ford Dealership at Burleigh Heads closed last year.
JIm260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #28
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:

I deal with the public on a daily basis and have done for decades, my attitude is the same for everyone and I do my best to ensure all my cusomers are 100% satisfied - do unto others as you would yourself - haters are gonna hate, there are always those looking for the cheapest price but that doesn't mean you have the foregone right to be a twat to them

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post