Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #9781
Metdevil

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
a) there has never been a vaccine for corona viruses in the history of mankind. We now have a few in less than 12 months, some with efficacy of 90%+. It really is a "miracle".
But we have half a century of experience with coronaviruses. In fact, these current vaccines are based off the research from the MERS outbreak in 2012 and developers had access to the complete sars-cov-2 virus sequence a matter of days after the first reported cases in China.

These vaccines haven't just come out nowhere like you're implying.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #9782
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Get your gut right, it will get your head right, then you're immune system will be running on all cylinders (among other things).
Arguably, people were far healthier during the flu pandemic of 1918. No processed foods, very low rates of obesity, fewer comorbidities than today etc. Their immune systems dont appear to have protected them. 50 million+ dead.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #9783
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Arguably, people were far healthier during the flu pandemic of 1918. No processed foods, very low rates of obesity, fewer comorbidities than today etc. Their immune systems dont appear to have protected them. 50 million+ dead.
Good point.

The people that survived it obviously had better immune systems, or didn't encounter it.

Skinny people can still be unhealthier than someone that is over weight - visceral fat plus everything else.

At least back then all meat was pasture-raised or hunted, not fed on corn or soy that encourages growths.

How many people died of cancer pre-1918 even during a war?
Old 17-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #9784
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Good point.

The people that survived it obviously had better immune systems, or didn't encounter it.

Skinny people can still be unhealthier than someone that is over weight - visceral fat plus everything else.

At least back then all meat was pasture-raised or hunted, not fed on corn or soy that encourages growths.

How many people died of cancer pre-1918 even during a war?
Don’t know that we will ever find out haw many died of cancer 100 years ago because the knowledge of the different cancers just wasn’t there.The majority of death certificates back then just stated cause of death as natural causes,without any detail
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #9785
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

We are getting of topic here folks...
Old 18-03-2021, 12:48 AM   #9786
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Don’t know that we will ever find out haw many died of cancer 100 years ago because the knowledge of the different cancers just wasn’t there.The majority of death certificates back then just stated cause of death as natural causes,without any detail
Cause of death= TMB

too many birthdays
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #9787
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many birthdays does not cause death...in fact is has been proven that those that have more birthdays live a lot longer than those that don't.
Old 18-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #9788
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
I disagree. Diets were healthier for more affluent people, but there were so many more people living in poverty back then, compared to now. The poor and lower class people would have most commonly been undernourished. And being as it was just after ww1, food would have been in short supply.

And medicine was pretty basic. Coca cola probably still had cocaine in it, and leeches were probably still in use. Lard was a common food.

No way people were healthier back then.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #9789
mostly_broncos

My mother got her second shot yesterday and she was miserable today. All over body aches , but no fever .

I think I had written in here it was the pfizer shot but when she went back they said it was the moderna. She is pretty sure they told her it was pfizer when she got the first one.

Its a confusing process but they did schedule the shots a month apart whereas the pfizer is supposed to be 21 days. Also I brought her and they just took the doses out of what looked like a standard freezer . Moderna doesn't need to be kept at -3000 degrees like pfizer so that makes sense , it was a pharmacy that did it not one of the mass vaccination sites.

Another thing , the company that makes the moderna jab is from right in state so it makes sense there would be more of that here to give out.

Apparently the Johnson and johnson type is trickling into use here now and that is only a single shot required and storage is even easier .

The pharmacist warned her she might feel like crap for 36 hours so hopefully tomorrow it turns the corner. The pharmacist also said the side effects were worse in younger people that older folks .

My sister is getting shot one on Friday , so theoretically , being closely related she should see somewhat worse effects , shes 59 , not young exactly so who knows.

I did speak to a guy in his 50's who was miserable for 4 days after dose 1 of pfizer , he told me he had already had corona 4 months ago. Not sure why he was in a rush to get the shot or whether if you have had it the side effects should be worse
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #9790
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 17th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

17 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.118%.

2 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.068% and active cases 97.

The UK had a higher 5,758 cases yesterday and 141 deaths.

Just over 53k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,240 deaths sees CMR at 1.817% - there was an adjustment for yesterday that took the total to 86k cases. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Europe had more than 200k cases for the first time since late January.

Guinea (303);
Moldova (1,916);
Paraguay (2,540);
Greece (3,458) - the previous high on 11/11/20;
Iraq (5,663);
Jordan (9.535); and
Brazil (90,830)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Cabo Verde moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and Mozambique drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #9791
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
My mother got her second shot yesterday and she was miserable today. All over body aches , but no fever .

I think I had written in here it was the pfizer shot but when she went back they said it was the moderna. She is pretty sure they told her it was pfizer when she got the first one.

Its a confusing process but they did schedule the shots a month apart whereas the pfizer is supposed to be 21 days. Also I brought her and they just took the doses out of what looked like a standard freezer . Moderna doesn't need to be kept at -3000 degrees like pfizer so that makes sense , it was a pharmacy that did it not one of the mass vaccination sites.

Another thing , the company that makes the moderna jab is from right in state so it makes sense there would be more of that here to give out.

Apparently the Johnson and johnson type is trickling into use here now and that is only a single shot required and storage is even easier .

The pharmacist warned her she might feel like crap for 36 hours so hopefully tomorrow it turns the corner. The pharmacist also said the side effects were worse in younger people that older folks .

My sister is getting shot one on Friday , so theoretically , being closely related she should see somewhat worse effects , shes 59 , not young exactly so who knows.

I did speak to a guy in his 50's who was miserable for 4 days after dose 1 of pfizer , he told me he had already had corona 4 months ago. Not sure why he was in a rush to get the shot or whether if you have had it the side effects should be worse
Always good to hear real experience. "crap" for 36 hours, do you think she would have been able to drive home after the jab? I'll probably volunteer to take my folks there when they are up, they are in 1b so are next in line but haven't been given a date, after initially being told "end of March" but that has changed.

Which part of the US are you at? Do you have a hot line you can call at the end of each day to get the jab if there are unused pfizers that will expire?
Old 18-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #9792
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I disagree. Diets were healthier for more affluent people, but there were so many more people living in poverty back then, compared to now. The poor and lower class people would have most commonly been undernourished. And being as it was just after ww1, food would have been in short supply.
The stats simply dont reflect this. For US males, BMI was in the normal to overweight range for all BMI deciles in 1918. I'd have agreed prior to the 20th century, but industrialisation brought great advances in food production and distribution.

They were also substantially more active, and their lifestyles could hardly be described as sedentary.

What they lacked was worthwhile medical intervention, something the 'let food be thy medicine' zealots ignore.

Last edited by b0son; 18-03-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 18-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #9793
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The stats simply dont reflect this. For US males, BMI was in the normal to overweight range for all BMI deciles in 1918. I'd have agreed prior to the 20th century, but industrialisation brought great advances in food production and distribution.

They were also substantially more active, and their lifestyles could hardly be described as sedentary.

What they lacked was worthwhile medical intervention, something the 'let food be thy medicine' zealots ignore.
They absolutely would have been more active.
Old 18-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #9794
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The Tans-Trasman Bavel Trubble looks like creeping closer to parity on NZ’s side. Suggestions seem to put it as being (conditionally) into practice within a month or so.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/tr...0-b9992101cd52
Old 18-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #9795
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The Tans-Trasman Bavel Trubble looks like creeping closer to parity on NZ’s side. Suggestions seem to put it as being (conditionally) into practice within a month or so.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/tr...0-b9992101cd52
I get that it's more complicated on the NZ end because we only have to deal with one government where as they have to deal with all the state and federal governments.

If we can't get all the states to agree on borders than adding NZ to that mix is not going to change that.

So we have to accept that travellers could get stuck on either side which is no different to what we have been doing in Australia.

Let the market determine whether they accept the risk and just get on with it I reckon.
Old 18-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #9796
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Well, there could always be a quarantine bond levied. That would also reduce the problems with unpaid invoices.
Old 18-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #9797
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, there could always be a quarantine bond levied. That would also reduce the problems with unpaid invoices.
That's an interesting idea. There's nothing you can do about being stuck of course but obviously the cost of that is a barrier.
Old 18-03-2021, 11:36 PM   #9798
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Always good to hear real experience. "crap" for 36 hours, do you think she would have been able to drive home after the jab? I'll probably volunteer to take my folks there when they are up, they are in 1b so are next in line but haven't been given a date, after initially being told "end of March" but that has changed.

Which part of the US are you at? Do you have a hot line you can call at the end of each day to get the jab if there are unused pfizers that will expire?
She could easily drive home if she needed to. The arm was sore immediately but the crap feeling took until that night to arrive say 8 to 10 hours or so. She got it Tuesday at 10:45 AM and had trouble sleeping that night , all day Wednesday was bad . Thursday she feels better , they seem to have been accurate with the 36 hour window so far.

I am in Massachusetts and the system for getting the jab , online or calling , is completely overwhelmed and people can't even get appointments as a rule or are being given late April dates if they do get through. Right now only age 65 + is eligible but the floodgates are about to open April 1st
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #9799
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AstraZeneca vaccine found to be safe, EU agency recommends clot warning

https://www.9news.com.au/national/as...a-b9672f53e878

"The European Union's drug regulatory agency says the AstraZeneca vaccine is not linked to an overall increase in the risk of blood clots and that the benefits of use outweigh the risks, paving the way for European countries to resume administering the shots."

This contradicts slightly with the Norwegians assessments.

https://sciencenorway.no/covid19/nor...accine/1830510
Old 19-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #9800
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

whos word would you take T3 ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 19-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #9801
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually re-reading the EMA statement, it seems they have not categorically ruled out the link. It just says there is no link to an overall increase in incidences. So maybe they are not that contradictory after all.

Based on current numbers published, I would agree that the benefits of taking it outweighs the risks of not taking it.

Given that we have CV pretty much under control in AU, I won't be rushing my folks to be first in line. But I will hope they take it at some stage.

Remember, AZ is currently "provisionally approved" by the TGA.
Old 19-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #9802
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 18th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

12 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.117%.

No new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.068% and active cases 97.

The UK had a higher 6,303 cases yesterday and 95 deaths.

Just over 64k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,263 deaths sees CMR at 1.817%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 122M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Global death bass 2.7M, the last 50k in 6 days;
South America and Asia both rise above their 90th percentile cases;

Guinea (303);
Uruguay (1,678);
Ethiopia (2,057) - the previous high on 3/8/20; and
Paraguay (2,605);

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Pakistan and Syria move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 19-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #9803
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There has not been a causal link established as yet between the vaccine and clots and the numbers of reported cases don't appear to be any cause for concern except for those people that are drawing that line.

Anyways I'm glad that we are stepping up in the PNG and have asked the EU to divert our doses to them.

Blocking them being shipped to us is one thing especially considering the local doses should be shipping soon, but to block them going to PNG would be quite disgraceful so lets hope they do so.
Old 19-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #9804
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m still on the fence about whether cutting them loose in ’75 was a good move. Morally correct, absolutely 100%, but like the Portuguese bailing on African colonies the fallout has been really bad. Agree that we should not be standing in our neighbours’ blood at this time.
Old 19-03-2021, 07:16 PM   #9805
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’m still on the fence about whether cutting them loose in ’75 was a good move. Morally correct, absolutely 100%, but like the Portuguese bailing on African colonies the fallout has been really bad. Agree that we should not be standing in our neighbours’ blood at this time.
I'm not 100% familiar with how they became independent but if they had a free vote to choose so then that's what they got. But we are still pumping hundreds of millions in aid every year so one wonders.
Old 19-03-2021, 08:22 PM   #9806
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'm not 100% familiar with how they became independent but if they had a free vote to choose so then that's what they got. But we are still pumping hundreds of millions in aid every year so one wonders.

Getting off topic but I’d say that a struggling democracy is preferable to another Cuba, hence the aid.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #9807
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee, there's a surprise, the CCP controlling the WHO investigation and outcome.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...9241849e25d5de
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #9808
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Getting off topic but I’d say that a struggling democracy is preferable to another Cuba, hence the aid.
Yep definitely drifting a bit but sometimes that happens I have no issue giving the aid either and glad that we are stepping up lately because it also benefits Australia too.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #9809
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 19th, 2021.

15 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.115%.

10 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.064% and active cases 55.

The UK had a lower 4,802 cases yesterday and 100 deaths.

Just under 63.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,145 deaths sees CMR up to 1.821%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Europe passes 37M cases;
The USA passes 800k deaths;

Curaçao (156);
Somalia (325);
Philippines (7,103) - the previous high on 10/8/20; and
Hungary (10,759)

Austria moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #9810
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Angry Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Gee, there's a surprise, the CCP controlling the WHO investigation and outcome.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...9241849e25d5de
I'm shocked. Unbelievable. I thought the team of investigators were "independent", and we were finally going to get the actual "truth" of how this virus started AND managed to spread across the entire world. /sarcasm.

It may be grain of sand in the grand scheme of things, but we all must stop buying Chinese made products. Anything and everything made in China. Stop buying **** made by these parasites. Everytime you go to buy something the first question should be 'where was this made?'. Buy Australian made where possible. We need to support OUR people, OUR economy and OUR industries.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread