Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
josh_hartman
Banned

Default Steering wheel question

can you get a boss kit for the au falcons? but i also hear its illegal if i remove the airbag. if anyone knows where i can get aboss kits from that would be helpful

josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get a good range of wheels for the AU that will take the airbag. it is not legal to remove the airbag so forget the boss and wheel combo get a proper wheel like the many different momos that are available. remove the airbag and you won't get the car registered and your insurance will be void
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

Yes, it must be a one-piece wheel with airbag. It is illegal to remove the airbag or to use a two-piece boss and wheel set-up like in the old days.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

yeh as said before^ i looked into this and was surprised with the wheels available i ended up going with the blue momo and will be tying in the rest of the dash with it. and even better u can get matching shift lever in black leather which looks the goods.

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive only ever seen one AU with an aftermarket wheel and no airbag - and it was a Series I, the Boyd Coddington Ute in fact. Has a billet steering wheel, and is most definitely road registered as it used to live here in Wagga.

How they got round the ADR's I have no idea though.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who would eva no if ya changed ya steering wheel...most cops wouldnt even notice...ive neva heard that ya cant remove a airbag.....its like most mods on cars heaps of people just do em without worring about laws etc...and then some worrie about engineering etc....really its up to the owner if he want to mod it he will....but in the end i dont no why you would want to remove a airbag....the momo airbag wheels look good anyway..ya just gotta match the airbag colour so it looks the same....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
the momo airbag wheels look good anyway..ya just gotta match the airbag colour so it looks the same....
VHT satin black vinyl dye is the best colour to match the airbag with. It is very close to the momo wheels colour
VHT Gloss black is way to black + shinny
VHT charcoal is more grey than black, pretty similar to the grey in series 1.

I know all this because I’ve tried all those colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_hartman
where can i get these aftermarket steering wheels. is there anything different other than the momo ones. there kinda comon and look standard still. are the momos smaller than standard?
I think momo's is as far as it goes. They are the same diameter as the standard wheel, however that are thicker than standard and have a hugely better feel to them than the stock offering. It's not that they are softer than standard wheels (there about the same hardness/softness) it's the material used feels way, way better

Last edited by superroo; 21-08-2007 at 10:37 PM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Deleted (Double post)
::::: ::::: :::::
Old 21-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Ive only ever seen one AU with an aftermarket wheel and no airbag - and it was a Series I, the Boyd Coddington Ute in fact. Has a billet steering wheel, and is most definitely road registered as it used to live here in Wagga.

How they got round the ADR's I have no idea though.
simple they didn't the mechanic who passed it was a shonk he must have ignored the law when doing the pink slip. there is no way you can legaly register an AU with the airbag removed. but there will always be dodgy mechanics around to help you break the law if you pay them enough. there is one out my way all he does is the brake check and if it passes that he writes out the pink slip. he no longer does mechanical work as he is too busy doing dodgy pink slips.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
superroo

Thats the second au i've heard off/seen with a airbag-less wheel. There was one in street fords (me thinks) that didn't have one and it caught my eye as how the heck is that legal.
I thought it was a very very very big no no

Cheers
Old 21-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
josh_hartman
Banned

where can i get these aftermarket steering wheels. is there anything different other than the momo ones. there kinda comon and look standard still. are the momos smaller than standard?
Old 21-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
The're all the same size AFAIK.

There is a fair bit of variety though, at the moment I have sitting at home to choose from a wood/leather momo, Fairlane leather, and XR6/8 pin holed leather and then you have all the colour options with the momos. All look and feel great compared to the plastic crap they come out with!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
josh_hartman
Banned

hmm i find the au steering wheel to big. i wish they had a smaller one. can you get aftermarket steering wheels that come with airbag. like as in sparco is something like that?
Old 21-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hmm i find the au steering wheel to big. i wish they had a smaller one. can you get aftermarket steering wheels that come with airbag. like as in sparco is something like that?
1 no you can't get any that aren't made on the same frame as the standard wheel
2 the size of the wheel suits the rest of the controls make it smaller and the easy reach of the ends of the control stalks is lost. I can turn my cruise on (twisting the end of the blinker stalk) without removing my hand from the wheel changing the size would compromise the ease of use
3 the steering would be heavier with reduced diameter
Old 21-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Just a little bit OT but I always find that in photos, the colour of the airbag looks a lot lighter than it really is. Ive never really had a problem with mine not matching the colour of the wheel itself.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Just a little bit OT but I always find that in photos, the colour of the airbag looks a lot lighter than it really is. Ive never really had a problem with mine not matching the colour of the wheel itself.
Funny that, mine doesn't even match the standard wheel properly! I think I'll grab a spare airbag when I do mine and paint that in case I stuff up. Hell, I've got an EF bag here now so I'll just spray that to see how it looks, then if it's good I'll do the AU one.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
superroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Funny that, mine doesn't even match the standard wheel properly! I think I'll grab a spare airbag when I do mine and paint that in case I stuff up. Hell, I've got an EF bag here now so I'll just spray that to see how it looks, then if it's good I'll do the AU one.
Don't really need a spare one. Use either warm soapy water (good not great -worked on air bag first time but not dash) or wax and grease remover (best)

While vht say it takes 3 days to dry, i've done a fair few bits and in a hour or two at most they have dried. If you need proof of colour i can supply you a pick of my current colour (satin black)

Here's a pick of the bag done in gloss black

And trust me, charcoal is not much different to the grey

Cheers
Old 21-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #18
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I bought an LTD wheel and couldn't stand the difference in colour, so much so that I sold it.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
I bought an LTD wheel and couldn't stand the difference in colour, so much so that I sold it.
LTD wheels are grey though arent they?
Old 21-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #20
Mark One
A humorous statement

You can get BA style ones to suit an AU I believe JC has one.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #21
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can of paint fix that up no worries i spose

but eh if your planning a full interior retrim im sure things can be remade to suite
Old 21-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #22
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has anybody got a pic of the difference between LTD wheel and the standard S1 fairlane/fairmont grey leather ??
Old 22-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
T3man
Banned

Did someone say "deep end of the gene pool?". Anyone who removes the airbag simply to get a "better looking" wheel needs to be looking somewhere else ... like the obituary pages ...
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #24
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Did someone say "deep end of the gene pool?". Anyone who removes the airbag simply to get a "better looking" wheel needs to be looking somewhere else ... like the obituary pages ...
or the darwin awards ( to be eligable you need to remove yourself from the gene pool)
Old 22-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #25
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

or carsales

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...atchallpartial
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR