Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
EL x 2

Smile New to the Forums...

Hi Everyone,

Am new here but after looking thru the valuable posts and info I thought best I join up so that I can partake in the discussions....

About me....Well I have 2 EL Fairmonts - one sedan and one wagon - both running LPG. I live in Goulburn but travel to work daily in Canberra (200km round trip) so the highway comfort and reliablility of the EL Fairmonts combined with the economics of LPG (currently $5.40/100km) make these cars a logical choice for me.

I am no stranger to the E series cars running on gas - having owned a low mileage ED Fairmont some years ago and found it to be a very reliable and economic car. My current 2 are no exception.

My sedan is nearing 250,000kms and is the main vehicle that travels to and from Canberra. It was an ex DAS Fleet vehicle with a relatively good service history. I purchased it with approx 150,000km on the clock and converted it to LPG immediately. In terms of mods it has nothing too radical as the purpose of the car is to provide economical high mileage transport.

My wagon was purchased earlier this year with approx 150,000km on it and has only got about 158,000 on it now, and was converted to LPG as soon as I got it. It as was ex Orix Lease vehicle with a reasonable service history. This is primarily used by my wife but as she prefers to drive my sedan (??) I will most likely be running the wagon along the highway a bit in the future (just gotta get driving lights fitted to it).

So thats all about me and my cars in a nutshell.....Hope to chat to all as time progresses.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

welcome to the forums mate, im sure if you have any issues in the future we'll be able to help you out with plenty of advice:P
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Welcome aboard mate, nice choice of cars too. You must be laughing at all the suckers running petrol.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
EL x 2

Thanks Guys...

Yes Trouty...I am laughing to a degree......my fuel savings each year are well into the thousands which sure justifies the conversion/upkeep costs.

My original plan was to run the sedan till it had around 500,000k on the clock then give it to the wife as a 'town' car and drive the wagon to work. Not sure which way I will run with things now that I have the wagon with lowish k's also.

The EL fairmont is a nice car - is well appointed and magic on highway runs. A reasonable example with reasonable km's can be picked up quite cheaply. With the mileage I do and LPG (from memory) I worked it out that fuel savings over 2 years pays for the kit and the car....after this it owes me nothing. (Assuming car cost of 10K+2K for LPG conversion). I would normally do approx 130,000km in the 2 years. LPG at present petrol/LPG pricing in my area saves me just under $6000/year

I do most of the normal maintenance myself hence the value in being a member of the Forums. I dont like paying shops to do what I can easily diagnose and complete myself at home!!

Both cars have been reliable (as was my LPG ED Fairmont in the past). I have only been let down once - recently with a blown coil. Other than normal maintenance items - replaced disc rotors - RDA Slotted/Ventilated on front, fluids, filters, exhausts etc...nothing has been a particular problem.

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Welcome to you EL_X_2. Nice vehicles you have
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

Welcome mate! Good to have another on board
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

welcome aboard mate..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
24CIT
back to the shop........

welcome aboard. its great to see so many ford owners! its gets lonely where i live! :
Old 17-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome!! Lets see some piccies!
Old 17-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
gozza

g'day
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post