Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
TazzieTim

Default Economy long trip, AU wagon, & mods

Tested newly aquired AU falcon wagon on long trip did 632km on a tank. DTE reading 8km on return. Filled up with 60.99 litres all the way till full same as before I left. I am very pleased with the result. Car was full with three kids in back two up front and the back of wagon full. Cruising between 90 and 110 kph with some hills and slow winding roads thrown in..
Works out to be less than 10 litres per 100 km better than magazine tests say it will do under ideal conditions. This was stock standard apart from a small section of the grill I cut away to allow more air to flow to the snorkel.
Im so pleased with the result on return that redback exhaust from cat to back fitted with mandrel bent pipe and two straight through mufflers. Total cost fittet $340 (magna was $200 just for one redback muffler so is much better value this way) (ITG filter for magna was $160).
Also fitted a Tickford snorkel which appears to be at least three times bigger a front than stock one (there is a much bigger one than the Tickford but cost $350 approx).
Also have a 3 inch pipe to replace pipe from box exit to first turn as it reduces too much at box. (a tip from off this forum)
Latter Im leaning toward a 1604 Wade cam as I seem to remmeber hearing somewhere than this cam can give 10% better economy and %10 percent more power (has unuasual specs with ex duration less than intake duration). Apparently works well from what Ive heard. Does anyone have this one installed?

Last edited by TazzieTim; 09-06-2005 at 02:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
MrAUII

When i first got my AUII Forte I did a trip to Mildura and Wentworth i got 800km out of my tank. Had 3 people including myself in car, 2 sets of golf clubs and a heap of luggage. I sat between 100-140km/hr
MrAUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

A Wade 1604 should be a good choice for a mild cam for an auto falcon.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
chief
FTF Club Moderator

My AUII Wagon got when on cruise control at 110km/h to canberra from sydney said i had another 860km in the tank after driving 350km. Also I hade 2 mates and bikes, rowing equipment and luggage.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

But AU fuel gauges and the DTE measurements are whacky on both petrol and LPG ... I have done 450km ... and it tells me I have another 500km left ... when I really don't.

I am hoping to do a long drive soon in the ute to see how well I get in it ... I get around 450-500km around town doing courier work (carrying decent loads in the back of the ute as well) ... I want to hit the highway and set cruise and go.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post