Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Radiator Reservoir cover

Has anyone fabricated (or is there one available to buy) a cover that goes over the radiator reservoir in EA - AU Falcons??

Ford had one in that bronze orange supercharged 6 Predator EL showcar some years back and it looked pretty good.. well it looked better than the yellowed dirty plastic one in my car!!

any other suggestions to make it look better as its a bit of an distraction to the eye!

cheers
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Richards
Has anyone fabricated (or is there one available to buy) a cover that goes over the radiator reservoir in EA - AU Falcons??

Ford had one in that bronze orange supercharged 6 Predator EL showcar some years back and it looked pretty good.. well it looked better than the yellowed dirty plastic one in my car!!

any other suggestions to make it look better as its a bit of an distraction to the eye!

cheers
Do you want to cover it up totally, or just get rid of the discoloured old one?

If you did cover it up, how would you see what the coolant situation is like?

George
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon

If you did cover it up, how would you see what the coolant situation is like?

George
Take the cap off and have a look...

I made one out of stainless steel for a friend, I'll see if he can get me some pictures of it...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
menace1
bolts on's

PWR make an polished alum header tank which replaces ur plastic one , mind u its not cheap but they do look great :
menace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft

I made one out of stainless steel for a friend, I'll see if he can get me some pictures of it...

Yep this is along the lines of what I was thinking of.. i've got very little experience in metal work, did you just bend the metal into shape, cut it with snips and then file off the sharp edges?

i check the condition of the coolant enough by taking off the cap so no probs in not being able to glance at the level on the side
Old 07-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Yea sort of, i might still have the diagram i used floating around here somewhere.. It was only a cover... If you are interested I'll do a quickie (as I wouldn't mind one on my car) .. I guess I could make a tutorial while I'm at it...

Ohh and you can still see the water level where the low coolant sensor lives if it isn't fitted to your header tank

Tools you'll need :-
Grinder with a cutting wheel
Hacksaw or snips
Ruler
Drill
Round File

Something to bend it over, and if your super keen a TIG welder but that is only if you wanted to weld the ends up when your finished...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
That's fine if you check it most regularly. I'd hate not to check it for a week though and find you've got nothing left!

Anyway each to their own. All the best with the mod.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks Racecraft if your happy to do a tutorial, i'm keen to give it a go.
this is a link to the predator in case people dont know what i mean..

http://www.trueblueford.com/ELpredator_Showcar.html

why didnt ford ever make this by the way???
Old 08-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #9
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
That's fine if you check it most regularly. I'd hate not to check it for a week though and find you've got nothing left!

Anyway each to their own. All the best with the mod.
Why? Are you not aware that the AU I6 4.0 is set up to enable the engine to function safely without coolant. The engine management will cut power and shut off the spark to 1 cylinder at a time to allow it to be cooled. That is saying that the low coolant sensor fails. : But Don't forget to check for a week :togo:

I check all the vitals under hood when low windscreen washer level light shows, otherwise the bonnet stays shut! : What a car!
Cheers,
Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Why? Are you not aware that the AU I6 4.0 is set up to enable the engine to function safely without coolant. The engine management will cut power and shut off the spark to 1 cylinder at a time to allow it to be cooled. That is saying that the low coolant sensor fails. : But Don't forget to check for a week :togo:

I check all the vitals under hood when low windscreen washer level light shows, otherwise the bonnet stays shut! : What a car!
Cheers,
Mike
I am aware of the failsafe mode on the AU, how the computer alters ignition to let you limp home, a great thing, far above anything on the equivalent holden, however my car is on gas, so It won't work. That's also why gas cars don't have the traction control. Or they shouldn't have according to Ford.

The gas apparently plays havoc with the ignition being altered in failsafe mode.