Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-05-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool AU 1 Tickford gas problems!!

Am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems with their Tickford
factory fitted (99AU1 Fairmont wagon) gas system. About 3-4 months ago l began to experience "flatspotting" during light acceleration, ie:cornering/takeoff etc. Now l'm not a dummy when it comes to Fords but almost everyone l spoke to regarding this problem said "change the converter/mixer". I had the converter pulled apart by a friend/customer "auto trade" who said there was some wear & informed me @$600 for a new unit, at which time l instructed him to "re-assemble" it & l'd ask around. Long story short, another "customer/ LPG expert" gave me a "flow control valve", showed me where to fit it, then instructed me how to "gut the stepper motor" on the converter, & said if that don't fix it, then a new converter is required. Easy job to install, problem SOLVED!!!!! Parts cost, @$20. Drivability, priceless!!! Now another question, during my research, opinions varied whether Tickford converters (@$600) were performance enhancing, as opposed to generic converters (@$250). What l do know is there is no noticible power loss running on LPG in my AU, as compared to earlier models, (XF-EB) l've had on LPG previously, where there was a huge decrease in power, any feedback/experiences would be much appreciated.
The Dok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I have always removed the power valve in favour of the manual screw type ones

The vialle convertors are overpriced inho.. There are a few aftermarket ones that are as good if not better for less than 1/3 of the price.

There shouldnt be a noticable loss of power between fuels but if you were to compare a petrol car to a dual fuel car there is a significant difference due to the mixer ring restriction.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanx for that "Tibbo", sounds like l should have gotten in touch with you first. So it's called a "powervalve" eh!! Is this "mixer ring" restriction "modifyable" or do l just have to live with it??? Thanx again for the info mate!!
Old 23-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

hey DOC...

you off POWER rd?
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Thanx for that "Tibbo", sounds like l should have gotten in touch with you first. So it's called a "powervalve" eh!! Is this "mixer ring" restriction "modifyable" or do l just have to live with it??? Thanx again for the info mate!!
Nah mate we're pretty much stuck with it.. THe inlet charge gets forced from 3" down to 2" when it passess thru the mixer donut :(

Old 24-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Good to see someone is winning in the struggle of gas problems.
Old 24-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems with their Tickford
factory fitted (99AU1 Fairmont wagon) gas system. About 3-4 months ago l began to experience "flatspotting" during light acceleration, ie:cornering/takeoff etc. Now l'm not a dummy when it comes to Fords but almost everyone l spoke to regarding this problem said "change the converter/mixer". I had the converter pulled apart by a friend/customer "auto trade" who said there was some wear & informed me @$600 for a new unit, at which time l instructed him to "re-assemble" it & l'd ask around. Long story short, another "customer/ LPG expert" gave me a "flow control valve", showed me where to fit it, then instructed me how to "gut the stepper motor" on the converter, & said if that don't fix it, then a new converter is required. Easy job to install, problem SOLVED!!!!! Parts cost, @$20. Drivability, priceless!!! Now another question, during my research, opinions varied whether Tickford converters (@$600) were performance enhancing, as opposed to generic converters (@$250). What l do know is there is no noticible power loss running on LPG in my AU, as compared to earlier models, (XF-EB) l've had on LPG previously, where there was a huge decrease in power, any feedback/experiences would be much appreciated.
Glad to hear you won win the gas.

I had similar probs, plus backfiring and stalling/cutting out whils in drive! Had to get a new head, valve seat recession on a tickford fitted system. OUt of warranty by just over a year. New head, new converter, upper cylinder lube kit and a few other bits and pieces and no probs since.

Cheers
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 11:09 PM   #8
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:evilsasmo Nah Rob, not off Power rd, ON Power rd. The Headlight Hospital, u near by??? Thanx again R/C, some good info there!!!
Tell me Futura Wagon, what was the cost on new converter & was it a Tickford unit, is the car running ok now???

Last edited by The Dok; 25-05-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 27-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face

Any more feed back would be appreciated!!!
Old 30-05-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
:evilsasmo Nah Rob, not off Power rd, ON Power rd. The Headlight Hospital, u near by??? Thanx again R/C, some good info there!!!
Tell me Futura Wagon, what was the cost on new converter & was it a Tickford unit, is the car running ok now???
The car is running fine now, no backfires at all, very smooth on gas. There is still a slight hiccup taking off on petrol but I only run it 30km or so on petrol every half a tank of gas. I guess the hiccup is the payoff for the better gas tune, and gas plugs. In anycase it's not a problem. Like I said, it's only run on gas a little to keep the fuel system maintained properly.

The converter was $550, (not Tickford) but my receipts don't tell me what type it is, sorry. All I know is they showed me a stack of original "Tickford" converters which they said were not adjustable and unservicable. They had lots of plastic attachments that would become brittle, which I could see on mine. They changed it for a much better design with lots of servicability.

Having no real experience, I took them at their word! LOL!

I have no complaints though.

George
Old 30-05-2005, 11:43 PM   #11
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
The car is running fine now, no backfires at all, very smooth on gas. There is still a slight hiccup taking off on petrol but I only run it 30km or so on petrol every half a tank of gas. I guess the hiccup is the payoff for the better gas tune, and gas plugs. In anycase it's not a problem. Like I said, it's only run on gas a little to keep the fuel system maintained properly.

The converter was $550, (not Tickford) but my receipts don't tell me what type it is, sorry. All I know is they showed me a stack of original "Tickford" converters which they said were not adjustable and unservicable. They had lots of plastic attachments that would become brittle, which I could see on mine. They changed it for a much better design with lots of servicability.

Having no real experience, I took them at their word! LOL!

I have no complaints though.

George
Thanks for that George, l've heard the same things about the Tickford converters, can't wait for the day when mine tells me it's time is up. l guess until then l'll cherish the time we have together. :
Old 31-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I'm thinking of getting gas.
It is worth all the trouble?
Would you rather have the car back the way it was Dok?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #13
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

THe "Tickford" gas convertors are actually not Tickford at all, they are made by a company called Vialle..

Old 31-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
I guess it depends on a few factors.

1. How many km's has the car done?
2. How long do you intend to keep it?
3. How many km's do you do each week?
4. How much will the installation cost?

When weighing up these factors you'll get an idea of whether or not you'll get your money back on it or not.

Mine came with gas and so I'm glad I have it. I guess you have to do the math and see how long it will take you to recoup the setup costs.

All the best with it.

George
Old 31-05-2005, 09:39 PM   #15
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I do plenty kilometres so cost is not the issue, drivability is.
I'm just concerned that I may have some hassles that will drive me crazy that's all.
Old 31-05-2005, 09:43 PM   #16
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

EDIT wrong thread :(

My LPG can a tempermental but if you stick with dual fuel you have the relability of ULP and the cost savings of LPG.

Last edited by Racecraft; 31-05-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 31-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
I do plenty kilometres so cost is not the issue, drivability is.
I'm just concerned that I may have some hassles that will drive me crazy that's all.
My car feels fine on gas. Plenty of go really. But I understand your concerns. Do you have a mate with an AU on gas?

George
Old 31-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #18
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

No George, I don't have direct access to an AU on gas. But I have enough mates who tell me horror stories.
Are they just myths?
Old 31-05-2005, 10:51 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
No George, I don't have direct access to an AU on gas. But I have enough mates who tell me horror stories.
Are they just myths?
What sort of experiences have they had? Have they had an AU on gas themselves? I know of a few horror stories myself, but none of AU's, just older cars and older technology. Gas conversions are much better nowdays.

I reckon get a Ford approved place to do it, but don't get the Tickford stamped converter! LOL

My conversion was done at the factory, so it should have been done right. The tank is in the wheel well and the spare is upright in the back of the wagon. The switch is a Ford geuine item and works very well. The fuel guage plays funny buggers a bit though, and takes time to settle when I've just filled up, but no problem really, just a little annoying, not a performance issue!

I have a mate who's dad got his series 2 forte wagon converted and had no problems at all. The mob was Autotrac in Essendon Melbourne. He regularly does some towing of a pretty big caravan I might add! He's pretty happy with it from my understanding.

Maybe others on the forum are on gas and can add their experience to the discussion.

Cheers and all the very best with it.
George
Old 01-06-2005, 01:02 AM   #20
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
:the_finge Dunno what it would be like, as it's a Tickford system it's factory fitted, l have heard about many problems with poorly fitted aftermarket systems though, however, with the economy l'm gettin there's no way l'd go without LPG!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:12 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
:the_finge Dunno what it would be like, as it's a Tickford system it's factory fitted, l have heard about many problems with poorly fitted aftermarket systems though, however, with the economy l'm gettin there's no way l'd go without LPG!!!
Hey Dok,

This has got nothing to do with LPG, but man I want to see some more pictures of your car. A Fairmont wagon with a BA XR front, now I'd like to see that!!!!

Please post some pics!

George
Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #22
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey Dok,

This has got nothing to do with LPG, but man I want to see some more pictures of your car. A Fairmont wagon with a BA XR front, now I'd like to see that!!!!

Please post some pics!

George
Not sure where to post em, always have dramas uploading, any ideas??? l can email some to ya if u wish!!
:
Old 01-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Not sure where to post em, always have dramas uploading, any ideas??? l can email some to ya if u wish!!
:
Hmmmm, can you attach them to a private message?

Maybe Casper can help you out?

I had trouble at first but got used to it. If you scroll down this page till you see the box "manage attachments" and click it, you'll be in the right direction.

From there you have a heap of boxes that allow you to browse your computer for the location of the pics you want to upload.

If you open the pics you want and then save them to "My pictures" for example, I've found that makes it easier. Just follow the browse prompt to my pictures and double click on the one you want.

Give it a go and see how you go. For example I've just attached a pic of my motorbike. It was in my pictures and I followed the prompts to it!

Cheers,
George
Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #24
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face

Quote:
Hmmmm, can you attach them to a private message?

Maybe Casper can help you out?

I had trouble at first but got used to it. If you scroll down this page till you see the box "manage attachments" and click it, you'll be in the right direction.

From there you have a heap of boxes that allow you to browse your computer for the location of the pics you want to upload.

If you open the pics you want and then save them to "My pictures" for example, I've found that makes it easier. Just follow the browse prompt to my pictures and double click on the one you want.

Give it a go and see how you go. For example I've just attached a pic of my motorbike. It was in my pictures and I followed the prompts to it!

Cheers,
George
Thanks mate, will give it a go, where would be a good place to put em do you think??? l guess somewhere that hosts pics of AU's might be a good place to look!!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #25
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Thanks mate, will give it a go, where would be a good place to put em do you think??? l guess somewhere that hosts pics of AU's might be a good place to look!!
I reckon start with this thread, then send a private message to Casper, he'll know exactly where to put them.

George
Old 01-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #26
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I reckon start with this thread, then send a private message to Casper, he'll know exactly where to put them.

George
I just emailed some pics to "sfr rob" if u like l can forward same over to you!!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
I just emailed some pics to "sfr rob" if u like l can forward same over to you!!
That would be good. Can you do it through the forum?

Yep you can, just click on my name and you get the option to send email.

I look forward to seeing the pics!

Last edited by GK; 01-06-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #28
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That would be good. Can you do it through the forum?

Yep you can, just click on my name and you get the option to send email.

I look forward to seeing the pics!
:evilsasmo Activate your'e email option!!! Unable to send. :
Old 02-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
:evilsasmo Activate your'e email option!!! Unable to send. :
Will do,

I just sent an email to the administrators to enable it.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #30
OldManGhia

My Feb 00 Forte Wagon has Tickford gas, I dont really notice any difference in power when running on gas. What does happen though is that when you start the car on gas it has a moment when it seems to be lacking fuel. According to the mechanic this happens because the car starts on ULP then switches to gas a couple of seconds after starting. I'm not sure if this is normal. I have found that turning the ignition on, doing up the seat belts etc before starting the car usually reduces the rough idle a fair bit. As far as ULP is concerned I run the car on gas till its nearly empty then switch to ULP for 50ks or so before I fill up with gas. I wouldn't have car like this without gas thats for sure. 47.9 as compared to 112.9 cant beat it.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post