Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Having a bad run with the Focus lately

Sorry guys, just need to vent some frustration!

1. 3 months ago, CV Boot fails and leaks grease all over my engine bay, $400 fix.

2. Soon after, the battery failed, called RACV, new battery installed.

3. 3 weeks ago, got rear-ended whilst stopped, going in for panel work on Monday.

4. Today - I was just driving home and as I turned into my street, I saw the battery light come on, and heard a really loud whining noise, which increases with engine RPMs = alternator fail!

The gods are frowning upon my car at the moment.

DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Default Re: Having a bad run with the Focus lately

Welcome to my world DZ, Car spent 10months off the road. Yes it was for a new engine and supercharger - but i also got 70% of the drivetrain replaced, New CV joints, clutch, flywheel, recondition gearbox, LSD, new boots etc etc. Also got a new battery and a new Altenator just for checks and measures.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Don't you hate it when you have to replace the bits that aren't sexy????

If cat converter fails you can replace with hi flow sports cat.

If shockers go, you can replace with Bilstein units.

But an upgrade battery, alternator, or CV joint boot? Damn, nothing sexy to be had there
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DZ Ford
Whats the kilometres on your 2006 job?
How much did those parts cost you. Got a 2006 just about on 100000kms.

I sometimes wonder whether its better just to trade it on a demo which doesnt break down and give you big surprise costs -but of ciurse you end up with a car loan costing you $100 a week plus.

I woudl be really interested to know what kms and cost you got hit with.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Photn, at least you came out of it with a supercharger! I think it was a great call on your behalf to have 70% of your driveline installed.

melbzetec, it's sad but true - absolutely no sexy bits to be replaced in my case.

Kevino, I've done 65,000km. The CV boot was $383 inc. labour at Ford.

Just got quoted $565 (!!!) for the alternator from Ford today. Ford is going to do the installation - I'm just way too busy with work at the moment to do it myself (its about 3 hours work), plus the car has to be ready for panel repairs come Monday!

Last edited by DZFord; 16-03-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 17-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the car back today, it runs well, although I'm much poorer now - alternator was $535. I'd love so say I love my new, shiny alternator but its hidden deep down in the engine bay and you can barely see it.
Old 19-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad went to worse today (for a while, anyway...). Was driving on the Maroondah Highway near Eastlink and all of the sudden..power steering failure...then I lost the radio, the dash, then all power. I managed to crawl to the side and pull over but I couldn't even put my hazards on...no power there either.

I started searching under the bonnet, and behold...the muppets at Ford forgot to secure the positive lead on the battery terminal after replacing the alternator. It was placed on, but not tightened down. It had almost managed to jump off the battery altogether.

Without a spanner in my car, I couldn't get it to stay on securely. So I rang the RACV - they couldn't send someone out because I was in a danger zone, I first needed to be towed out. 90 minute wait...no chance! I called a mate, he brought down a spanner and all was fixed.

I restarted the car and all was fine. I was thinking...why the power steering failure? Then I remebered the Focus has electro-hydraulic power steering.
Old 23-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

You have had a bad time of it DZ! Hopefully that's it form a LONG while!

Interesting how Ford dealers (or any mechanic really) can get such simple things wrong. A couple years ago after a Ford service I noticed the bonnet moving at 110+ on the Princes Hwy coming into Syd (busy road). Don't know how the bonnet was down but not completely closed and not noticeable. Let's just say I pulled over pretty quickly, and the service dept got a not so happy call.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally got the car back today from the panel shop, repairs look great. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong!

Russ, my Ford service department also got a call, and they were very apologetic. Although mistakes do happen, not securing a battery lead is unacceptable when you're paying $100/hour labour.
Old 31-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope, the bad run continues.

Last night on the way home, check engine light came on. Plugged in my OBD2 Scanner...P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Malfunction. I checked the EGR electrical connection and everything seems to be fine there. Looks like I'll be stripping the EGR valve in the near future. Pain is, to do that, you need to drop the coolant...and I just changed my coolant not long ago!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You wouldn't believe this but today a workmate's alternator died, she also drives a Focus, the same model, built in the same year, same month (Dec 05 build, Jan 06 registered).

Looks like the alternator only has a 5 - 5.5 year lifespan.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Don't say that, mine's an October 2005 build! (Dec 05 1st registered).
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It could just be a complete coincidence....

....or maybe not!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Guess I'll find out soon enough hey!

Out of interest, what are the km's on the ones that have needed alternators?

Mine's now at ~112,000.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is an age related issue, not a mileage problem. Mine has done 66,000km, hers has done 110,000km, so almost double.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
You wouldn't believe this but today a workmate's alternator died, she also drives a Focus, the same model, built in the same year, same month (Dec 05 build, Jan 06 registered).

Looks like the alternator only has a 5 - 5.5 year lifespan.
Just an update here: she had it towed to Ford, who tried to charge her $310 for a new battery (she talked it down to $240) AND THEN quoted her $1260 for the new alternator (parts + installation). They said they could probably knock it down to around $1000 when she complained.

I'm not going to name the dealer in question here, nor am I posting this to "name and shame", but just a lesson to all of us to watch out, and to always get more than 1 quote if possible.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

LOL $1000 for a new alternator.

Take it to an auto electrician, theres not much that goes wrong with alternators, the things that can go are voltage regulators, rectification diodes and the brushes.

You oculd get it reco'd for under $300 easy.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Yep. An auto electrician should be able to recondition it for way less. I did that when I had the Cougar as a new one was over 600 bucks! Got an auto electrician to replaced the brushes etc and any bits that had worn. Cost me 300 bucks in the end.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post