Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 28-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Default drag radials tyre pressure?

thought i'd start a thread here after the conversation in the clevo forum about tyre pressures.
I'll be running a pair of Mickey T et street radials (275/50/15) on my coupe at the Aff meet this weekend, I think a few others will be running the same tyres.
I'm curious to know peoples opinions on what tyre pressure I should run, any suggestions on warming them up, such as just a quick small burnout, etc, and anything else that could be useful to this first-timer

I have no idea how much prep work is done to the track at heathcote, maybe someone else can help with that info?

Thanks.

Old 28-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

13 PSI ,same size tyre and didn't need a real big skid though willowbank is pretty well prepped .
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Greg is that cold or warm pressure ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

I run mine at 18-20 psi
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

12psi cold worked for me with 235/15's.

They have a stiffer sidewall than a full slick.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
XDean

Guys, straight from the MT tech bulletin,

Proper use of Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial
Inflation Pressures

On the racetrack DO NOT use starting pressures below 11 psi.
Recommend pressures for:
P295 and larger sizes: 11-14 psi
P275 and smaller sizes: 12-16 psi

On the highway we recommend running 75% of the max psi as notes on the sidewall of the tire.

Burnouts
The tread compound used in the ET Street Radials is designed to heat quickly and does not require a heavy burnout. Continue the burnout until the engine starts to pull down. We do not recommend a dry hop after the burnout.

Bead/Wheel Slippage
Some bead/wheel slippage may result during the course of a 1/4 mile (or 1/8 mile) drag race. This is normal.

Of course this is just the recommended parameters because every car/combo will be different but it is a good place to start.
Old 28-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughts
I run mine at 18-20 psi
Thats pretty spot on,i would run that the 1st time then go down from there.
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Greg is that cold or warm pressure ?
13psi was warm .. Was on a 3200lb car running low 10's .
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDean
Burnouts
The tread compound used in the ET Street Radials is designed to heat quickly and does not require a heavy burnout.
: thatīs why Tiapan kept blowing them off the line!! Heīs the burnout king ;)

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Crapi
Starter Motor

I run mine at 14 psi, cold. 235/60-15 et street radial.
Crapi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

12-16 psi and check them after every run.
They can creep up by a couple of psi after a run.