Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XR / Tickford cluster fascia

If I have a series one Tickford cluster (black dials), can I put any series fascia on it? I know the actual clusters are different between series 1 to 2/3, but I imagine the face part is the same? This is what I'm after, but the guy selling it doesn't know anything about it he reckons:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now I'll probably find out it does fit and someone here will outbid me! Is 100 bucks reasonable for one of these anyway? There's another guy selling one for $150, which is almost as much as an entire cluster! I know there's the 70 buck ones, but they are ALL white and I don't like the warning lights etc being white, just after the white dials.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A few people have bought the $70 buck ones and they've not been the genuine article, just a cheap copy and they stuff up. That one looks good.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

that looks cool
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
ziggee

I have "those" on my ebay watch list as well... don't worry i am not buying them yet!. so I'm keen to know also. and yeah, as GK has allready said, the $70 ones, seems the general concensus is there no good. hence thats why i was looking at "your" ones..
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, the information I have gleaned elsewhere is that the warning lights differ slightly between series. The problem I have now is that most of the ebay goons don't seem to know what it is they are selling! Anyone have any ideas? Are these still available from Ford? Probably a trillion dollars if they are.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #7
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Yep.. a few warning light indicator positions differ from AU1 to AU2/3. And that fasia on the ebaY link will suit AU2/3 XR's only, not Forte-Fairmont.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I realise they won't suit Forte/Fairmont, what I was wanting to know was whether they'd suit Series 1 XR clusters. It's hard to tell what warning lights are where on the photos, since they're all blacked out.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The XR fascia the blue background will fit on AUII AUIII fairmont dash clusters OK but the speedo will read 9% fast thats all. It will fit on AUI fairmont cluster but a couple of the warning lights are blanked out.

Here is one I prepared earlier. AUII Fairmont cluster AUII XR6 fascia.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=11276
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Looks good Jon.

I have a AU II XR cluster sitting on the shelf waiting to be put in. I have got the instructions from LG on how to do the conversion.

Am I right in saying that going from a 220km/h to 240km/h cluster the speedo will be out be 9% as Jon mentioned?

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #11
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Looks good Jon.

I have a AU II XR cluster sitting on the shelf waiting to be put in. I have got the instructions from LG on how to do the conversion.

Am I right in saying that going from a 220km/h to 240km/h cluster the speedo will be out be 9% as Jon mentioned?
I am not sure if you do the whole cluster not just the fascia. I can tell you i have a 3.45 diff and 225/50ZR16 tyres exactly like the XR series a black 23 tooth speedo drive cog not the 20 tooth brown one that came with the cars standard 3.23 diff and 215/60R16 tyres. i have a std AUII fairmont cluster with the XR fascia and on my satnav GPS I have a speedo reading 9% fast.

fast is the safe side to be on and although 4% would be a better tolerance 9% is OK. i might get a jaycar kit to correct it the last bit if i start to worry about it.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you swap the whole cluster over you shouldn't get an over-reading of the speed. That's why I'm getting an entire XR cluster rather than putting just an XR fascia on my fairmont one. The Fairmont cluster only goes to 220, and the XR one to 240, and therefore the numbers are more condensed around the circumference of the dial. Logically the reading will be out, since when the Fairmont needle is pointing to what it thinks is 220, it will actually be pointing to 240 etc. Shouldn't have anything to do with cogs or diffs or anything, since all the calibration is in the cluster itself.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
fast is the safe side to be on and although 4% would be a better tolerance 9% is OK.
Agreed. I was driving to work last Friday, doing 94ish in an 80 zone, clearly I was over and there was a patrol car with the radar on me.

Clearly I was in the wrong and ready to be booked, I wouldn't have fussed about it because of this.

To my surprise and jubilation, I was not chased and I slowed down and continued on my merry way!

I put this down to my speedo being out. On the way home from Geelong, hanging on an overpass, there are those Vic Roads speed testers. At an indicated 100kmph it tells me I'm doing 94. That's a 6% error.

What's 6% of 94? 5.64. To them I was probably doing 88ish. Perhaps they were allowing a 10% error. In any case, I'm glad! More cash for mods!!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post