Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Default Axel Hop? Not sure!

I was just after some advice, my xr6 seems to create alot of axel hop/wheel spin/bad vibration when it is under hard accelration, or quite easily in the wet. I was wondering now that the car is nearly 5yrs old and it has done 91k km's could the axel hop be put down to worn out shockies? When do other forum member change their shocks? Also has anyone had any experience with Monroe GT gas with Reflex or Monroe sensatrac or are there better out shokies out there on the market?

Chris

sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

I would say your shocks wouldn't be causing the axle tramp. That is a shock/tyre/spring/rear suspention thing, which is very hard to control. I have a TE50 & it does it some times. So Its a matter of throttle control more than anything else. Most cars will do it, & some more than others.

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

It happens in my ED. Is your car lowered? Also what about weight in the back? This may seema little weird, but what type of wheels do you have? Are they factory?
I've found that when i go racing and but some light 14" stockies on the back i don;t axle hop that bad. I go racing with the 17's on it and it feels like the diff is going to shake out!

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
It happens in my ED. Is your car lowered? Also what about weight in the back? This may seema little weird, but what type of wheels do you have? Are they factory?
I've found that when i go racing and but some light 14" stockies on the back i don;t axle hop that bad. I go racing with the 17's on it and it feels like the diff is going to shake out!
Yeah it totally feels like the diff is going to fall out. The car isnt lowered - just the normal xr6 tickford height and ive got the AU2 xr8 17" wheels on with brand new Falken 235/45 tyres. It also tends to do it if ive got stuff in the boot or not.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

You should also take a look at the shocker mounts as well as the shocker they shouldn't set u back anymore than $90 for the part itself. My left one is shot and it makes my axels hop real bad.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
You should also take a look at the shocker mounts as well as the shocker they shouldn't set u back anymore than $90 for the part itself. My left one is shot and it makes my axels hop real bad.
I just checked out both of the shock mounts... they seemed to look fine.

Old 13-06-2006, 02:12 AM   #7
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

all i can come up with is some after market adjustable bush an pin sets from your local suspension expert . i can't say i've played with ford irs but have known of being able to angle the diff on conventional models to stop diff bounce.
another thing stay away from monroe sensatrac shockies are no good in any conditions,gt gas go good but dont offer any comfort but any good suspesion centre will give you what u want if you ask.
personally i went for boge struts up front(next step up from gt gas)
and ultima shocks on the rear(par with gt gas)
for springs i went a progressive rate king springs
45mm front drop, and 35mm rear drop thus not needing short throw
my ride is auII futura sdn family bus
martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #8
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

oh forgot to say i get no diff bonuce at all
Old 13-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymonsta
all i can come up with is some after market adjustable bush an pin sets from your local suspension expert . i can't say i've played with ford irs but have known of being able to angle the diff on conventional models to stop diff bounce.
another thing stay away from monroe sensatrac shockies are no good in any conditions,gt gas go good but dont offer any comfort but any good suspesion centre will give you what u want if you ask.
personally i went for boge struts up front(next step up from gt gas)
and ultima shocks on the rear(par with gt gas)
for springs i went a progressive rate king springs
45mm front drop, and 35mm rear drop thus not needing short throw
my ride is auII futura sdn family bus
Thanks for the info about the shocks

I have the HP XR6 so mine has the conventional diff.

Old 13-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I was getting that light chudder/axle hop when i first got my car the start of this year, mainly when turning corners it happened or hard acceleration. I just put it down to the lsd binding up a bit , dunno if thats your problem though. I just free'd mine up by doing a few figure 8 burnouts (making the inner wheel spin faster & spin) , it free'd it up and has been fine since then.
You can also unbind them by puting 1 rear wheel on the grass and 1 on the road and do a burnout ( getting the wheel on the grass spinning fast ) and then do the same on the other side . As i said though , dunno if this is your problem anyway , wouldn't hurt to try it maybe if you have an lsd .

Allthough in my case with the IRS and LSD , really if the LSD diff was binding it should of been slightly wheel spining instead on the 1 wheel / or getting close to it, which makes me think that maybe my suspension is getting a bit old and soft , unable to keep the force of the spinning wheel down to the tarmac when the diff started binding on 1 side, making/letting the wheel bounce slightlly ( soft suspension ) and creating the chudder/axle-hop effect .

:eclipsee_

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 13-06-2006 at 10:09 AM.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
SIKSIX
Its gone V

I get this sometimes in a manual forte with some lowerd springs (bought it as is) and have copped axle tramp at calder cause i stuffed the launch.....too much cltuch, and also get it trying to take off slightly wheel spinning off the mark in the wet. All i do is put the foot down a touchmore and then all is good.

I just rekon is just enough power to brake traction but not to hold it breaking out. Next time it happens give more gasand hold on lol....and if its already WOT time to upgrade motor/down size tyres (<---NOOO).
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
You can also unbind them by puting 1 rear wheel on the grass and 1 on the road and do a burnout ( getting the wheel on the grass spinning fast ) and then do the same on the other side . As i said though , dunno if this is your problem anyway , wouldn't hurt to try it maybe if you have an lsd .
That would have to be the BEST way to kill any LSD.. are you mad?
No offence but you just do not do that..
it will strip the cones inside the diff, wreck the LSD and then you will find that you will be stuck with a single spinner that now needs a rebuild..

Axle hop, learn how to drive the car! and you wont get it(or very very rarely).. when I first got my car it was shocking, now be it rain or dry it dosent happen any more. IF you start to get axle tramp back of a little then jump back on it, same in a manual or re clutch it..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
it will strip the cones inside the diff, wreck the LSD and then you will find that you will be stuck with a single spinner that now needs a rebuild..

Axle hop, learn how to drive the car! and you wont get it(or very very rarely).. when I first got my car it was shocking, now be it rain or dry it dosent happen any more. IF you start to get axle tramp back of a little then jump back on it, same in a manual or re clutch it..
You don;t make it a habit! , besides im not on about rip screaming the wheels , just need 2 spin them once lightly, not something i would recomend doing for fun ! , just a way to unbind the lsd a bit , personally i prefer the figure 8 to do it , sorta doing it within its limits then instead of screaming 1 wheel ...lol .

Old 13-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #14
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i agree any diff bounce is bad and doing spinnys and so on, dont do any diff good.
if you have bounce probs on the 1/4 try smaller rims with higher sidewall tyres with low pressures this should absorb some of the chatter.
my friend managed to bend both axles on the 1/4 trying out his pursuit ute(05 5spd) but you get that trying to do this on 18" low profiles with out lowering the pressure.
have fun guys and give ya trannys and diffs a break and gun it after you take off
Old 13-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

hmmmm , i had an old jaguar IRS diff custom fitted into my XE years ago ( after blowing 2 nine inch diffs booting it off the 1/4 numerous times) , was as stong as muel and never gave a drop of chudder. This diff in this XR6 allready has a bit of light backlash/knock , seems to be pretty pee poor for a dif that really isn;t that old. Does anyone know here how the specs of todays xr diffs compare with like an old 9inch ? , strength wise sorta ?