Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
MIKEVYII

Default Tickford AU snorkle

He Guys is it worthwhile fitting a tickford AU snorkle to a AU V8 or is the standard AU V8 snorkle about the same as the Tickford one? just looking at little things to My AU slug go a bit better

MIKEVYII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Search, search....

Yes, the Tickford ones better. Go buy one, they are cheap.

They are NLA from Ford, so go buy a XR6T one.

Did you not see this thread? It was about 5 threads down from yours?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=51162
Old 03-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

looks better and you can tell everyone how much faster your car goes cause you spent 5 minutes bolting a different bit of plastic on it.

Last edited by jonbays; 03-06-2006 at 02:38 PM.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

just the snorkle alone, no other mods.. you will notice a whopping improvement of NOTHING. It looks better but as a stand alone performance item its a placebo.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Sounds harsh?

Yes I have done it too.

And it does look good!

Thats all.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The Tickford one has been replaced by the BA one. It is part number BA9A624A and is for sale at around $34.00. Enjoy
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
MIKEVYII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
The Tickford one has been replaced by the BA one. It is part number BA9A624A and is for sale at around $34.00. Enjoy
Many thanks Mate just ordered one from ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
looks better and you can tell everyone how much faster your car goes cause you spent 5 minutes bolting a different bit of plastic on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
just the snorkle alone, no other mods.. you will notice a whopping improvement of NOTHING. It looks better but as a stand alone performance item its a placebo.
Yeah well thanks heaps for you ohhh so helpful responce's Guy's. this ute is a 5ltr has extractors & a bigger exhaust. & I will put a K&N in the airbox & give it a second hole mod. but did'nt buy it to go fast. (have 2 holden LS1 v8's for that) this is just our third car run about. & just want it to get a bit more air in there & the old snorkel is a bit old squashed. & for $35 for a new snorkel who cares hey.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEVYII
Yeah well thanks heaps for you ohhh so helpful responce's Guy's. this ute is a 5ltr has extractors & a bigger exhaust. & I will put a K&N in the airbox & give it a second hole mod. but did'nt buy it to go fast. (have 2 holden LS1 v8's for that) this is just our third car run about. & just want it to get a bit more air in there & the old snorkel is a bit old squashed. & for $35 for a new snorkel who cares hey.
Wasnt meant to offend but you did ask specifically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEVYII
He Guys is it worthwhile fitting a tickford AU snorkle to a AU V8 or is the standard AU V8 snorkle about the same as the Tickford one? just looking at little things to My AU slug go a bit better
Will it make a difference? Generally no.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Will it make a difference? Generally no.
he only said 'a bit'. and besides, for that marginal increase in throttle response, $35 bucks sounds fair...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
he only said 'a bit'. and besides, for that marginal increase in throttle response, $35 bucks sounds fair...
Given his first post made no mention of any other modifications at all NOTHING is a fair description of what an intake snorkle change alone would do. With headers (now mentioned) the engine is asking to breathe a little more and it may have some benefit in the higher rpms.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

so that BA snorkle will fit an AU? cos i was told the EL GT one would fit but it didnt no biggie cos i just got a refund but i still want a bigger one. i was looking at a territory snorkle and it looked like it would fit and it had a much bigger inner diameter but same opening, cos theres only a small place the snorkle can fit thats moulded into the top of the bonnet and above the radiator on my s1 AU forte V8

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #12
MIKEVYII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x-puursui7
so that BA snorkle will fit an AU? cos i was told the EL GT one would fit but it didnt no biggie cos i just got a refund but i still want a bigger one. i was looking at a territory snorkle and it looked like it would fit and it had a much bigger inner diameter but same opening, cos theres only a small place the snorkle can fit thats moulded into the top of the bonnet and above the radiator on my s1 AU forte V8
Yes it's fit's straight on. takes about a minute to remove the old one & fit the XR6t one
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If the larger snorkel does absolutely nothing, why did Ford even bother with one larger than stock?

They just could have put the wings on the stock one! LOL!

It may not be good for any acutal power increase (I'm sure people have done dyno runs confirming this) but people do claim is does enhance throttle response! I seemed to on my SR. I have no way of quantifying this of course LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:46 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
If the larger snorkel does absolutely nothing, why did Ford even bother with one larger than stock?

It may not be good for any acutal power increase (I'm sure people have done dyno runs confirming this) but people do claim is does enhance throttle response! I seemed to on my SR. I have no way of quantifying this of course LOL!

GK
Correct.

I ran 3 dyno runs on my old Forte V8 - one with airbox sealed and tickford snorkel, one with the lid off, and one with a pod attached, and there was only 1 rwkw difference between all three. Funnily enough, lid off actually dropped power!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
Thats actually a good question. Ford actually spent time and money on the EF airbox and intake system making it all work well then went back to cheap and nasty in the EL and the AU they seem to have worked out a small concentrator although a restriction helped draw the air through the filter.

All said and done though even IF it does work its 1-2 rwkw max and no one can tell that sort of difference on a 100rwkw 1.6 tonne car.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I disagree with the notion that the Tickford snorkel does nothing. I also think the dyno results are insignificant. Ok, for not being a performance man like most people on these forums, they will dispute the benefit's. It takes substantial changes for those guys to recognise the benefit's, but for a performance virgin like myself, I'm going to notice the changes no matter how small or big, I 'll see the changes. I installed one of the tickford snorkels, and I felt a difference. Nothing down low, but i found that over taking, the car felt more responsive. The car always seemed to lag at higher RPM, and was a little less responsive in the throttle in acceleration, but with the bigger snorkel, the proof of the larger snorkel work was at higher speeds.

Theres more to peformance than just Torque Curves, KW gains, quarter miles and dyno sheets. Performance is what comes from the pedal. if the tickford snorkel gives you better response, then in my books, thats a performance gain.

For $35, do it. Its a small price to pay.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #17
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

My brother fit my Tickford snorkel to his old AU 6 Frote, no noticable power gain but it do go further on a tank of fuel by to 100km depending on what type of driving he was doing. I made him give the snorkel back when he sold the car.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

If you want some facts about the intake, i took mine apart and measured it for curiosity. These are rough measurements for the au inline 6 with a stock intake.
I worked from the throttle body back.

Part/Dimension/Area

Throttle body / 66.7mm (Known 65mm) / 3494 mm2 (3318 mm2)
1st pipe in / 84mm / 5541 mm2
1st pipe out / 76.5mm / 4596 mm2
Flex pipe / 75mm / 4417 mm2
2nd pipe in / 74mm / 4300 mm2
2nd pipe out / 66mm / 3421 mm2
Airbox in(adapter on) / 55mm / 2375 mm2
Airbox in(Adapter off) / 79.5mm / 4963 mm2
Airbox out / 78.7mm / 4864 mm2
Snorkel in / 83.8mm / 5515 mm2
Snorkel middle / 100mm x 42.7mm / 4270 mm2
Snorkel out / 93.7mm x 28.9mm / 2707 mm2

So while the snorkel modifications gets you more air to the airbox, after there it’s still got no where really to go.

Cheers.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post