Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do You Wear A Watch?
Yes 116 51.79%
No 80 35.71%
Only on Special Occasions? 28 12.50%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Streetvision
Starter Motor

Default Do you wear a watch?

just wondering who here wears a watch? i have always liked watches. i currently wear a omega seamaster 2220.80 (it looks like the one pierce brosnan wore in his bond films)

Do you and if so what kind of watch is it?

Streetvision is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Yeah i wear one... mainly a $5 one from a elcheapo store... but i have 2 others alot more expensive that i wear on the odd occasion.
Old 28-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

My phone doubles as a time piece!

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to but I got a killer watch tan so left it off, then it needed another link putting in and I haven't really bothered with it
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Streetvision
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK250
I used to but I got a killer watch tan so left it off, then it needed another link putting in and I haven't really bothered with it
i have one too, it's funny. because im tanned but when i take my watch off im really pale where the watch used to be, it looks really weird.
Streetvision is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

a russian 24 hour watch. I like to know whether it's 0630 or 1830 without seeing the sun. Also handy in the antarctic regions
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I too love watches

I used to have an Omega Speedmaster - great watch

Have restored a 1970s Rado Purple Sabre watch my old man bought new in Switzerland when he was there for work. I took it off him and had it restored at the factory in Switzerland. (cost over $600 to do - and that was 7 years ago)

My daily watch is a Rolex Submariner with Date. In dire need of a service as I wear it everywhere. Even in the gym so she does have a fair few scratches on the band.

Here is an article where they compare the Submariner vs Seamaster

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/2.html

Was looking at getting another watch - maybe a Panerai Luminer Marina with Date

http://www.watches.co.uk/watch_pics/...ina-pa6381.jpg

or the Jaeger Extreme World Chronograph

http://www.authenticwatches.com/jaeg...-q1768470.html
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I own a fairly nice one, but never wear it, just isn't my thing lol, id rather just look at my phone
Old 28-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Fordfan4u

Im a big fan of watches, I've got a little collection of watches. I only have 13 at this stage, cheapest being my daily watch 'FUBU' $350 and my most expensive is a 'Tag Heuer' as a whisker over $4500.
Ive also got an Omega, Versace, Cartier, Bulova.. plus the mildly cheaper ones like my Ford, Diesel, casio etc etc..
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, I use my phone for the time, that's its prime use instead of being used for calling people haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
EgoXR

I cant wear them. I have a mass habit of taking them off and playing with them, or Im too concious its there and it makes me itch!
EgoXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I cant remember the last time I used a watch, I have a really bloody good watch that i've had for a couple years, but it never gets used.....shame really.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
zigzagnt

I do generally when i go out.
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

i have a watch my Gf brought me but never where it i dont think i have wore a watch in bout 10years i have a mobile for telling me the time or a laptop that i have on me whenever im working or the clock in the car while i driving.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I've broken too many watches over the years. Now just stick to using my mobile phone, and yes I've broken plenty of those too!
One day I'll get a decent pocket watch.
Old 28-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just use my mobile, where ever i am there is almost always a clock.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wore them all the time until 5 years back.

Phone does the trick, and all my watches made the skin behind the watch itself stink.
Old 28-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
Trendseeker

Ripcurl Tidemaster. Expensive watches like the Seamaster are good, but it's also good to have an extra function in addition to the time. My other 2 watches (Seikos) have chronographs which I never use, but I do use the alarm once in a while. I like the Tidemaster because I can check the tide without having to go look at a tide chart and I can leave it on when I go for a surf.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #19
Trek
Blue blooded

I always wear mine anytime I go out. I don't use a mobile, since I'm too oldschool/traditional in my ways (and they're also unnecessary money pits, only useful in emergencies, otherwise serving no other purpose) Of course I have a watch tan to match, as well!
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got 5 watches. I've worn one since I was about 9 years old, so when I don't have one on it doesn't feel right (I'm 30 now).

One is my 'mechanic' watch, it's old, digital, and I've had it since I was about 10(with only 3 batteries). It's still going strong. A Casio.

Two is my everyday watch, a freebee from Clipsal, I wear it most days now. Brand Unknown.

Three is the old everyday watch. It was a Colarado, got it for $50 with a purchase of $XX clothes. Battery only lasts about 12 months. Brand also unknown.

Four is a leather band watch (the rest a metal) and it's branded Ducati. Bought it when I used to own a Duke. Not worn much because I don't like the leather band.. A Ducati??? not sure who actually manufactures it.

Five is one I asked my parents for because I wanted a 'Good' watch, as in a smrt lookingt watch for suits and formal events and such. It's a Vagary, which Casio make and it's their "Youth" brand. Good looking watch though.

But honestly, these days I'd be lost without wearing one. And have the tan mark to prove it!
Old 28-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After destroying plenty of cheapies wearing them for work i decided to get something a bit better so bought a citizen promaster in the early 90's and still going strong and wear that more for anything but work.
for work i got a seiko 5 automatic, great watch aswell and doesnt miss a beat and is tough as nails.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #22
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

iphone tells time, car tells time, computer tells time, microwave tells time, radio tells time - why wear a watch?

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #23
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
iphone tells time, car tells time, computer tells time, microwave tells time, radio tells time - why wear a watch?
Because I can't take the iPhone, car, computer, microwave or radio into the surf. But I take your point, they're not needed as much as they used to be.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #24
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have only just reverted back to wearing one after quite a few years of not due to the nature of my job. Easier to look at your wrist than fumble in your pocket to get it out.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #25
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
Because I can't take the iPhone, car, computer, microwave or radio into the surf. But I take your point, they're not needed as much as they used to be.

i beg to differ i have seen a waterproof case for the iphone, though still a little big to just throw in you wetsuit somewhere

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #26
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Yes and a waterproof iphone is very practical and easy to use in the surf........
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #27
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Rip Curl A1011.
In "midnight".

It was $499 back in 2006 when I got it. Tough unit, I wear it daily to work, every where and its in near perfect cond.

" A1011 MIDNIGHT CORTEZ T/MASTER Case: 100% marine grade stainless steel with screw in case back, multi sealed screw crown, heat bezel timer hardened mineral crystal. Titanium carbide plating on Midnight Cortez. Function: ATS-Automatic Tide System, Swiss made 5 jewel movement. Strap: 316L stainless steel with double lock clasp. Dial: Pressed sunray with print. Tested 200m."

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/n0c9vnc...ter-Mens-Watch
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 AM   #28
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant wear one for work after getting a burn from a welder, a Apprentice giving me a hand to tack up some stuff with a stick welder and a steel band watch sont mix. Had a nice red ring around a 3rd of my wrist.

I have a Breitling Watch that cost me a grand duty free that sees the light of night when i go out.

other then that a mobile phone is good too, I just dont leave it in my shirt pocket while welding, they like to catch spatter and melt a few keys....

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #29
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetvision
just wondering who here wears a watch? i have always liked watches. i currently wear a omega seamaster 2220.80 (it looks like the one pierce brosnan wore in his bond films)

Do you and if so what kind of watch is it?

That's a good looking watch
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Seiko Connetic & have had for about 10 years.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post