Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default EL XR6 exhaust system advice

Hey, a friend of mine has an EL XR6 and wants to do a full exhaust system. He wants to do extractors, catalyst and everything, basically a new system right thru. Probably 2.5" all the way thru. Just wondering what you guys have found to be the best product/combination.
Do you reccomend one or 2 mufflers?
I have one mid muffler on mine, 2.5" and straight thru to the rear and it drones a bit.....

Any help appreciated !!

Thanks
Old 21-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
neb
hibernating

i would recommend pacemaker competition extractors, with a 2.5inch mandrel bent exhaust... probably just redback or lukey. it'll already have the appropriate mufflers in it they come setup already.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool... i have the redback 2.5 system optioned with the no rear muffler, sounds good but annoying to drive....

i reccomended him to get a resonater at least in the rear...
Old 21-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I vote for the JMM race series headers. Probably the best I6 extractor made, IMO, though they aren't cheap.

Rick.
Old 21-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
neb
hibernating

with my exhaust i have a rear resonator.. i've had it without i loved the sound of it but it was too loud droning on the freeway and stuff so i went back with the resonator setup.
Old 22-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
with my exhaust i have a rear resonator.. i've had it without i loved the sound of it but it was too loud droning on the freeway and stuff so i went back with the resonator setup.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how much did you find the resonator killed the note?

You've probably heard my car, and i love the way it sounds atm, but i'm considering putting a resonator on the rear to get rid of some drone. I just don't wanna kill too much of the note...
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

A resonator really is a must. They dont make that much difference to the sound at all as far as outright loudness....they do make a car bearable though. The I6 is going to drone, just the sort of engine it is. With a rear resonator the drone is usually dramatically reduced. Mine has the rear resonator and as oyu can hear certainly isnt "quiet"

http://www.aufalcon.com/Shane/casper.wmv

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Please tell me you did rev the poor thing like that when she was cold!?!? The steam would make it seem so! You cruel mongrel! :P lol

It's kinda hard to tell from that video how it compares to mine, as the microphone used seems to not be too happy with the volume.

This is an old sound clip of mine, to give you an idea of what it sounds like:
http://www.deleted link/pics/Car.mp3

It has gotten deeper since the last round of mods (and a change of extractors), but how does this compare to yours?

I'll have to re-make that file with the new setup. lol
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Please tell me you did rev the poor thing like that when she was cold!?!? The steam would make it seem so! You cruel mongrel! :P lol

It's kinda hard to tell from that video how it compares to mine, as the microphone used seems to not be too happy with the volume.

This is an old sound clip of mine, to give you an idea of what it sounds like:
http://www.deleted link/pics/Car.mp3

It has gotten deeper since the last round of mods (and a change of extractors), but how does this compare to yours?

I'll have to re-make that file with the new setup. lol
It was a little cold outside that day...and the car was only partially warmed up. I treat my car hard I admit. It has to work for a living.

Yours is a totally different sound to mine. Mine has more of a crackle to it rather than the deep not you have. Yours sounds deep and rumbly, mine is more crackly and sharp edged.
Both sound good to me I admit.

Last edited by Casper; 22-01-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 22-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #10
neb
hibernating

yeah i don't think the resonator really changed the note of it much.. just made it alot quieter. its still loud when i floor it.. but cruising on the freeway and stuff its pretty quiet instead of making a lound droning noise like it used to
Old 22-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
yeah i don't think the resonator really changed the note of it much.. just made it alot quieter. its still loud when i floor it.. but cruising on the freeway and stuff its pretty quiet instead of making a lound droning noise like it used to
Yep, thats exactly what it is ment to do. Makes driving far more bearable.

Old 22-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
XRated
Shoot.

I only have a straight through muffler (no resonator etc), and it doesn't drone on the freeway - only when it's accellerating hard or under load (going up a hill, passengers etc).

In comparisson, John_xr6 has the same system but with a resonator. Personally I don't see much of a difference in regards to droning when under load etc, but his system seems a bit quieter and not as deep. That's my opinion, but I'm sure he has his own too :P

20V Turbo

Last edited by XRated; 22-01-2005 at 04:13 PM.
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I only have a straight through muffler (no resonator etc), and it doesn't drone on the freeway - only when it's accellerating hard or under load (going up a hill, passengers etc).

In comparisson, John_xr6 has the same system but with a resonator. Personally I don't see much of a difference in regards to droning when under load etc, but his system seems a bit quieter and not as deep. That's my opinion, but I'm sure he has his own too :P
Dammit XRated, I finally worked out your avatar too...... Your right, I can see it.

Old 22-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #14
EFFalcon
Last warning

I looked at LUke avatar upside down but wasnt really sure what i was meant to be seeing :P
it looked like a Warhammer 40k space marine to me :P

but anywya, i've got Pacemaker comps on mine with a 2.5 exhaust *with* the 2nd resonator and i don't think i'd go without it.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Dammit XRated, I finally worked out your avatar too...... Your right, I can see it.
Haha!! Weird thing is, it's a some simple Chinese algorithm repeated x amount of times that produces that image. Annnnnyway :P

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Haha!! Weird thing is, it's a some simple Chinese algorithm repeated x amount of times that produces that image. Annnnnyway :P
Freaky...Looks like an infa red of one of those battle star galactica robot guys.

Old 24-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #17
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So JMM headers or Pacemaker is the way to go fellas??

I wish i had have put a resonator in the rear of mine now but anyways....

I will recommend my mate to put one in for sure...