Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 
Default Protection against road rage.

Got home tonight and the wife tells me she was road raged by some brave soul. She drives a 4 cyl camry, pov pack, so hardly a menacing presence on the road.
4pm Syd peak hour, anyway she tries to change into the left lane and this p*ick accelerates so she couldn't get in. Fair enough, she is happy to slot in afterwards, but the traffic stopped. When it gets going again, he is slow of the mark, so she ducks into the lane in order to turn left into the next street.
He now goes off his nut and crosses to the right lane and pulls in front of her, slams on the brake and gets out banging on the windows and yelling. My three kids were in the back, petrified whilst he was making a few threats to trash the car.

I'm thinking a dash cam would be handy - wouldn't stop something like this, but at least we could follow it up if anything did happen.
Thankfully it was peak hour and there were a lot of others beeping this guy to get moving.

Happy to hear of any other things people have done to avoid, or deal with road rage losers.

Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Protection against road rage.

devils advocate but are you sure thats the full story my missus has a habit of leaving out the key bits about tales like that when relayed to me.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

My brother (ex 5/7 RAR with two tours in East Timor with AUSBATT and the UN) had an experience a year or so ago, where some peanut decided to get out of his car and threaten both him and his two young daughters after a traffic "misunderstanding".

His response was to get out, deploy the telescopic metal baton he has in his car for just such an occasion and quietly ask the other gentleman if he wished to continue making something of it.

Not entirely legal, but surprisingly effective.

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A dash cam would show the full story...
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
zilo
BANNED

was she keeping left?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clearly that story she tried to sell you makes no sense at all.

No person just goes nuts because someone 'just' changes lanes, or this person would be going nuts all day long every day in Sydney traffic, as people are constantly changing lanes.

There is clearly a whole lot more to this story that she has decided to omit so as not to incriminate herself.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
wookie836
Highway wanderer

love this site, you ask a question and the majority proceed to pick a the situation given... helpful.

its prob best your missus stayed in the car, in road rage you should do your best to not pull over and stay within your vehicle.

if you find yourself out of the car dealing with some irrational person a small dry powder extinguisher can come in handy, may people have them in their cars; you can defensively spray it keeping them away and its a good visual deterrent when swung around infront of you.
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't take much to set clowns off now days

I just point and laugh at them

Sends the crackies nuts
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
No person just goes nuts because someone 'just' changes lanes, or this person would be going nuts all day long every day in Sydney traffic, as people are constantly changing lanes.
In Sydney it's perfectly normal nowadays. Now that I live in the country it hits me in the face every time I go back there how stressed and aggressive Sydney drivers are. The road rage is truly scary.

Unfortunately we get them out here in holiday time. Suddenly the normally relaxed traffic is full of people darting in and out of lanes and filling your rear-vision mirror. (Not to mention suddenly a whole heap of drivers hogging the right lane.) Sydney people seriously need to chill out!

Around January our neighbour came back from shopping and said that the shopping centre was full of all these rude, pushy people. I had to remind her that it was school holidays and the Sydney folk were down and "de-stressing"
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

Sends the crackies nuts
Or blowing them a kiss is another action that makes them go troppo
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

IMO it's best to let people get on their way and mind your own business. It can be tempting to 'give it back' (for example slow down, block out, or point and laugh) but you've got no idea what state of mind people really are in, how they got there, and what they're capable of.

Regardless of how it happened, I'm glad the OP's family is safe.

In your wife's situation, I would've done everything possible to merge behind the guy. If he's capable of blocking the left lane, he'd follow that up with sitting up her rear and that could lead to a rear ender. It's just not worth the stress.

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 10-05-2014 at 08:56 AM.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Unless there is a collision there is no valid reason to confront another driver peacefully or otherwise. Driver may just have been having a bad day or had a incident 100m behind with someone else or had a argument with his estranged drug addled ex before he left home 5 minutes before and just snapped. Reasons are irrelevant, driving errors in heavy traffic and/or poor driving is a fact of everyday life. Dash cams are remarkably cheap and about the best you could do for her and your kids.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Clearly that story she tried to sell you makes no sense at all.

There is clearly a whole lot more to this story that she has decided to omit so as not to incriminate herself.
Sorry but I disagree. There are lots of people out there with nanosecond fuses. Sure it may have been sanitised or in the trauma of the event parts forgotten but once someone gets out of a car to attack someone else then they've crossed the line of frustration to violence.

As for carrying a baton in the car that's a rather dangerous move too IMO. Cops wouldn't appreciate that much as part of the self defence plea.
Geoff

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...

Last edited by Tokyo Geoff; 10-05-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Typo
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tazer, pepper spray or big shiny Bowie knife, sounds bad but at the end of the day you get the wrong person or someone off their head and that might be the only deterant. Especially with kids in the car.

I do like the smile and wave approach though.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without knowing the full details of what happened I can't say too much... A dash cam would be my best advice, there are a few crazys on the roads.. Might off been annoyed his clapped out car was struggling to keep up with the Camry driving normally??? Who knows
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Tazer, pepper spray or big shiny Bowie knife, sounds bad but at the end of the day you get the wrong person or someone off their head and that might be the only deterant. Especially with kids in the car.

I do like the smile and wave approach though.
I've thought about doing that (weapon in car) but how do you explain to police about having a weapon in your car??? I normally just laugh at the idiots. I did go to confront one idiot that claimed I nearly hit his car. Was no where near it when I took off at a servo, pulled over and got out of car, he took off real quick. Most people will back down but there is that one percent that dont
Old 10-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Install a dash cam Evgeni pronto! Its not worth the stress if something happens & you've got nothing to back you up in these situations or a crash.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I've thought about doing that (weapon in car) but how do you explain to police about having a weapon in your car??? I normally just laugh at the idiots. I did go to confront one idiot that claimed I nearly hit his car. Was no where near it when I took off at a servo, pulled over and got out of car, he took off real quick. Most people will back down but there is that one percent that dont
That's stuff is not illegal as long as its not concealed, if ever asked just tell them it's in the glove box. Not sure about tasers though, might need a permit for that.

It's just a last resort visual deterrent that says " if you try and enter this car you are going to get cut or zapped".
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Recommendations for dealing with these types of people: Get front and rear cameras. Lock all the doors and close all the windows. Keep on the main roads. Drive to the nearest police station.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #20
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Recommendations for dealing with these types of people: Get front and rear cameras. Lock all the doors and close all the windows. Keep on the main roads. Drive to the nearest police station.
Easier said than done, look what happened to this bloke!

http://youtu.be/cgo1RNRVX4g
Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #21
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Easier said than done, look what happened to this bloke!

http://youtu.be/cgo1RNRVX4g
But it was still done. The driver wasn't harmed and he had video evidence to present to the police of the road rage incident.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
But it was still done. The driver wasn't harmed and he had video evidence to present to the police of the road rage incident.
I remember that. didn't that bloke have to go to court for something else not that long ago??
Old 10-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
tweeked
N/A all the way

No matter what happens on the road I just wave and say sorry. Ever since i started doing that I haven't had an issue with anyone.

It just isnt worth yelling at someone from inside of your car, it acheives nothing other than to escalate what is going on.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #24
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

Sends the crackies nuts
Very true I was driving through a shopping center car park my car was already half way through a pedestrian crossing when some nut carrying his shopping decided to run out near my car and scream into my window for not giving way when he was no where near the crossing I told him to relax and drove off a cool head always prevails plus you can get in just as much trouble if you start belting him.

Also was parking in the local shopping strip and some young clown was trying to be a hero in front of some young girls started screaming that I hit his front bumper and said I dented his front personal plate which was BARDUP if you know what that means I do.
I told the young gentleman that I have a reversing camera that records everything and that I didn't feel any bump in my car he turned red and I walkd away fromm the sitution quietly

Last edited by Boza; 10-05-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #25
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

A dash cam sounds like a good idea. I might look into it myself.

The only thing is that it doesn't actually protect you physically in any way, just records it for further follow up. A weapon on the other hand might.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

A lot of frustrations wont happen if drivers gets in the lane they need to be in, well before their turnoff.

Too many times drivers try to push into a lane where others already in that lane have moved into further back when they could safely and with no agro.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #27
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fire extinguisher is an excellent idea my sister keeps mace in her car maybe I should get some too
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #28
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dash cams are good but they are also more motivation to get into the car to grab the evidence so try and hide it.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #29
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

i have the club lock in my patrol that has come in handy once. It works both ways, just this morning i was in the patrol in the far left lane coming up to a red light in an 80 zone. A P plater decided he wanted to go from the far right lane (3 lane highway) and get into my lane. He indicated his intentions early but i just dont have enough braking power in the patrol as i do in the falcon. I just missed him and his lucky i know the car well and didnt lock up the brakes. I guess he didnt think about the braking capability of a 24 year old 3 tonne vehicle, if i was in the falcon it wouldn't have been an issue.

So i got beside him at the lights to simply and calmly let him know to be careful as i nearly cleaned him up, then he abused me, kept going off his head, i was calm the whole time, i had the MRS in the car and never lose it with her around. All i was doing was trying to educate him, because he was a P plater i wasn't actually that angry about it as everyone makes mistakes.

These days there is a heap more aggression on the roads. All dash cams do is capture the footage, they don't do squat to keep you safe.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
The fire extinguisher is an excellent idea my sister keeps mace in her car maybe I should get some too
Fire extinguisher on the cards for me, my crooklock is getting old now

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post