Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Options for a tradesmen.

Hi all,

I am currently in the market to purchase a new car. I am an electrician by trade and require a vehicle to work out of. I am leaning towards an FG on straight gas with an aluminum tray and canopy, or a diesel hiace (current shape).

I have found a few fg utes as I want for under $20k with up to 30km on the clock. The only issue, does anyone else here use an fg, whether your a sparky, plumber etc and can you fit comfortably all tools and material in the back.

Thanks guys
Bill

EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
05_ENFORCER

Default Re: Options for a tradesmen.

Are you a house basher, mining, commercial or industrial sparky as this will be a determining factor.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be focusing on domestic and commercial.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
05_ENFORCER

Grab the van with a sliding door on the drivers side.

The ute is OK but more vunerable parked out the front of houses.

I had a 5 mtr van once, with alarm and auto locking, loved it, commercial spares on racks on the passenger side and cable stock in the back, ladders on top.

Then I went into an ex gov't Falcon ute with a lockable 3 door lift up tray for commercial industrial jobs.

There will be plenty of differing opinions, depending on what work is done out of the vehicle.

See if you can round up a mate with either of your choices and take it for a drive.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that enforcer. The only van I keep hearing is worth the money is the Hiace. The rest I keep getting warned about the problems they have with them. The ute I was thinking a similar set up as to this one up for sell.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...13727388&Cr=43
Old 04-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

We've been using the ILoad at work for 8 months now, after having Transits, Renaults and the Volkswagen offering, we still have 2 FG utes.

The tech's rave about them, so far out of 17 van's no major issues, haven't been able to say that about any other brand we've have previously had.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
GT-spec15

Have heard excellent things about Hyundai iLoad.

I would not hesitate to buy anything in the Hyundai range - solid reliable cars.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont View Post
Thanks for that enforcer. The only van I keep hearing is worth the money is the Hiace. The rest I keep getting warned about the problems they have with them. The ute I was thinking a similar set up as to this one up for sell.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...13727388&Cr=43
That is almost an exact replica of the one I had, but I had the 3 split lift up doors, top ute that one.

Grab some air bags for the rear if it hasn't already got them.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
That is almost an exact replica of the one I had, but I had the 3 split lift up doors, top ute that one.

Grab some air bags for the rear if it hasn't already got them.

But you still preferred the van over that sort of ute enforcer? I won't be buying another car for personal use, so I will be with the one car for every situation. At the same time has to be perfect to work out of. The company I was working for, we had an sv6, and I must say I hated working out of that thing. Not because I prefer Fords, but those side windows to get material and tools out of the back were a joke. Let's not forget the rear suspension had sagged after 6 months and over every speed hump you were scared of leaving the rear bar behind.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
We've been using the ILoad at work for 8 months now, after having Transits, Renaults and the Volkswagen offering, we still have 2 FG utes.

The tech's rave about them, so far out of 17 van's no major issues, haven't been able to say that about any other brand we've have previously had.
Are you using auto or manual ILoads? I have heard to replace the clutch costs about 7k, and also after about 120,000km they need bottom end rebuilds on the engine. Could the engine just come down to how it has been driven or even luck of the draw with what comes out of the factory?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Only manuals, our oldest one has done 80K, original clutch no engine issues (YET!).

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
But you still preferred the van over that sort of ute enforcer? I won't be buying another car for personal use, so I will be with the one car for every situation. At the same time has to be perfect to work out of. The company I was working for, we had an sv6, and I must say I hated working out of that thing. Not because I prefer Fords, but those side windows to get material and tools out of the back were a joke. Let's not forget the rear suspension had sagged after 6 months and over every speed hump you were scared of leaving the rear bar behind.
Yep, the van did me well for what i needed at the time. New home wire ups and a small amount of general domestic installs.

The ute was used for a specific type of industrial maintenance work.

Two entirely different needs.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome, thanks for the advice. It's hard trying to figure out what to get. It's a matter of choosing what to buy. I have seen a number of Hiace vans at the 20 mark, is what I am will to spend to, with about 100,000km. I will have to seriously think about the ILoad to. But whatever I buy will be there for the long run. It will only move on if it gets written off or starts spending more time with the mechanic than doing what it was intended to do.

Also, does anyone have info on the transit? I've heard they are expensive to repair and up until about 06 they were duds. Haven't heard any reviews about 07 and onwards models. Can anyone confirm or deny whether they are a dud or not (even earlier models)?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I'm an electrician and have had a heap of vans over the years and one falcon ute. The vans are a lot better to work out of but most are a little slow. The ute had a heap of power but lacked the room for all my stock and tools, also constantly worried about rolls of cable going missing. I've just taken long service leave and am starting my own business and will buy a twin cab diesel 4x2 only because I need to take the kids in it. If I could I would be buying the iload with the turbo diesel. Every hiace I ever had chewed about 1.5 to 2.5 litters of oil between services, other than that they only had small issues.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've worked on new shape (2006 onwards) Mercedes Sprinters, the last of the older shape Mercedes Sprinters (up to 2005) and latest model Ford Transits.

The Transit is fairly nice to drive, has a much better stereo than the Sprinters too, we mainly fit out our vehicles with heaps of wiring/aftermarket electrics etc, transit is a bit harder to run wires through and it has sharp edges EVERYWHERE.

Have you looked into Ex Ambulance Mercedes Sprinters? You can pick up the previous shape ones (up to 2005) which are nicer to drive than the current ones, and they have that 2.7L 5 cylinder diesel engine, which is great and a traditional slushbox auto which is much better than the new CVT BS they have. The new ones are only 4 cylinder or V6, and both feel slower than the older 5 cylinder.

They've got full service histories too, done every 5,000km.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...13724832/?Cr=0

You'd probably want to strip the interior out though as they've got cabinets, stretcher bed etc still in them and the inverter etc.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to agree 4VClevo, the ILoad is a good option. Double sliding doors is a huge plus. But I want the car for the long run, so I am curious if mechanically it is good enough to make it to the 300,000km with few issues. I want my work hack and an x-series gt for my fun.

Big Damo, I have looked at the Ex Ambulance cars, but with those km's it will sooner or later have some issue, and mercs are far from cheap when repairing. That's why the merc, vw vans I'm not keen on. But you can also say the Transit falls in the same boat being an import from Europe?

I was looking at these and thinking they may be worth it. Also I am in Vic and will to go to SA, NSW, GLD to buy a new car. Find them far more expensive in Vic than other states.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...D-1088932&Cr=4

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-2084069&Cr=78
Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
05_ENFORCER

Just be careful with the double sliding door option if you need space.........

Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
lamborghinifan

+1 for iload. Hated the hiace I had (do a search on forums)
Iload is Very practical, built shelving over the drivers side door, access both sides, I'm an electrician too.
Powerful enough economical too, priced right, and drives well for a loaded van.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm a pestie by trade so I can't have chemicals in the same cabin as the driver would be, which ruled a van out for me. In the end I had it down to either an FG ute or a Ranger - went the Ranger and have not regretted it one bit. I have two large toolboxes in the tub of the ute and still room either side to fit stuff, I also have a ladder inbetween the boxes and it all fits under the tonneau so you wouldn't know it was there. Locks on the toolboxes and the rest is in the trailer, things like the drill etc I carry in the back seat so it is locked up. The ute doubles as my everyday car so if we go away we take it, best bit is you can take all the stuff out of it in about 15 minutes and its like it was never there.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My brother is a sparky and had 2 Hiace Vans.

They had slightly different racking internally, 1 had a decent gap down the middle, the other not so much. Looking at the stuff he needed to cart around I think a Ute would need to have a lot of lockable space on the back to get close to what the van could haul around.

He now mainly does connections and new houses so carries most of his small stuff in his Cherry picker and takes bulky stuff to job sites in his Hulix.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #21
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to point out the obvious, but its chalk & cheese.
You will notice the difference, big time. The FG is basically a (heavily sprung) sedan you will enjoy driving it, you’ll be happy to go places. The Van you won’t. I have spent WAY too much time in Hiace’s.
Unfortunately the storage is the opposite, the advantage of a van you walk into, with racking down each side, and the sheer volume is incomparable to a ute. If you’re going to be doing domestic and commercial, supply & install, I reckon you will need the extra space.
Make a rough list of the stuff you’ll be carrying and map it out.

Serious question, if you are set on the “only one car” have you considered adding a proper tradie’s trailer. Provided you have somewhere secure to store it at home, it can more than double your storage capacity.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #22
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do domestic/commercial work, I find the trademate back perfect for what I need. I set it up with shelves on one side and drawers/boxes on the other. This way i had access to all my tools and could chuck random stock etc on top or use it as a work bench.

I also like the lower overall height which allows me to park/access tight spaces. It is long though, at 5.5m it sticks its nose out in the car parks.

I did a country work trip with a mate and the back swallowed 2 swags, engel fridge, 2 clothes bags and enough stock/cable to rewire a 16 room upper level at a pub.

I used to have vans when I worked for other people but I found the access was crap, especially as I am 198cm tall and climbing into the back had knobs on it. Also, if you had a few boxes of gear in it it made access crappy.

And the FG is much nicer to drive and goes like the clappers when needed!

A bit messy but you get the idea.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a sparky as well ( I perform another trade now) and will always prefer a van to a uterus. I have had a transit, Hiace, Mercedes van and now a 2012 VW Transporter and I think the transporter is awesome! The turbo diesel has plenty of grunt (mine has now had a blufin tune) and it feels like a car to drive. Im a bit of a shortarse though and need a step ladder to access the ladders on the roof but to this date I have never had an issue with fitting into any McDonalds drive thru's!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good thing with the trademan back setup is if you prang it break it etc. You can chuck the back onto any ford ute from AU on to get you back to work.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
I do domestic/commercial work, I find the trademate back perfect for what I need. I set it up with shelves on one side and drawers/boxes on the other. This way i had access to all my tools and could chuck random stock etc on top or use it as a work bench.

I also like the lower overall height which allows me to park/access tight spaces. It is long though, at 5.5m it sticks its nose out in the car parks.

I did a country work trip with a mate and the back swallowed 2 swags, engel fridge, 2 clothes bags and enough stock/cable to rewire a 16 room upper level at a pub.

I used to have vans when I worked for other people but I found the access was crap, especially as I am 198cm tall and climbing into the back had knobs on it. Also, if you had a few boxes of gear in it it made access crappy.

And the FG is much nicer to drive and goes like the clappers when needed!

A bit messy but you get the idea.
jstanovic, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing if I purchase a utility. What is the name of the company that did that canopy for you and if you don't mind, how much did it set you back? Can you get a draw underneath between the tail lights? Did you use the tray that came with the car?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all the replies guys. Quite a few good points have been brought up and have got me thinking.

As I am single and have the travel bug, I am looking at working solo for the next couple of years and hainge the freedom travel and see as much of the world as possible. If I settle down, I'll put on an apprentice then. For now then, the jobs I will be going for will be small ones. I am not keen on working for chippies. I have a few shops I do maintenance work for, a mate who is a fridge mechanic, I will be doing the electrical work for all his air con installs, and then as many little jobs I can possibly get my hands on.

So I figure I will need to carry a 6ft and 8ft A frame, extension ladder (they will live on the roof), drills, basic tools, tool box with miscellaneous tools in tool box, 2mm and 1.5mm cable, rods and straps, gpos, baton holders, lamps, mounting brackets and mounting blocks(well all the little things that will fit a small shelving unit). Do you guys also carry ceilings fans, par 38 light fittings and the like?

It's a tough call, I will head out this week (as I am looking for work and have spare time) and look at a few vans and utes and try make my mind up. It's a big decision that needs to be thought out properly.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

I run an XG and an XH panelvan, and an XG ute.

I love the car like nature of the panno's and will keep using them as long as I can.
Even at nearly 300,000km, the XH still pulls like a freight train, all whilst dragging it's backside on the ground fully loaded.

I have done the van thing, Mitsubishi, Transit, and Merc Vito and although I do like the storage space, I hate the reach to get to the ladders, I hate the feeling of sitting right over the front axle.

And I HATE the wind throwing the vans all over the road, when driving down the freeways.

Plus the vans don't fit into a lot of the underground carparks, with the ladder racks etc.

Heck, I've even considered running an ex-telstra BF wagon, as a service vehicle.
They look pretty cool, with their Rhino Roof rack setups.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #28
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
jstanovic, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing if I purchase a utility. What is the name of the company that did that canopy for you and if you don't mind, how much did it set you back? Can you get a draw underneath between the tail lights? Did you use the tray that came with the car?
I bought the ute secondhand as you see it (I built the drawers). The canopy is a Rosco's Trademate. They have an option of underneath drawer between the rear lights, about 2100 long.

You might want to sit down when you get a quote from them (and similar canopies). I would expect this one to cost about $13,000. This is a full canopy with side rails. They also do a universal box that just bolts to your existing try, a bit cheaper too.

My previous ute had a similar canopy (Bull Motor Bodies), again I bought it secondhand. The previous owner got the canopy installed and I have the receipt - $13,875 incGST - and that was in 2007!!! The standard box is about $8k then the options just add up. 3.9m roof rack, interior light, rubber mat, 3-tier shelving, rear door, bi-fold driver door, central locking, rear folding workbench, folding vice etc etc...

I recently got an email from Bosston Auto Bodies, they are doing a special deal on "sparky" canopies with racks/shelves etc. Need to contact them for price, may be worth the call?

Another reason I like the ute is safety. I was in a serious head-on accident in my 4x4 a few years ago and the front end was pulverised. If there was no bonnet or engine I'm sure I would have been a goner. New short bonneted vans seem to have pretty good crash ratings, don't get an Express van if you are concerned about safety hahaha
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #29
kate648

Don't get a dual cab XLT Ranger. **** all room in the back. Every time I load it up I have to drive with the tailgate down and ropes everywhere. Even worse I always have to take the hard cover off, and being a 3 piece leaves even less room.

Not that I'm a tradie. But I wouldn't mind meeting a nice one.... preferably under 35 and in qld... LOL
kate648 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #30
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
I bought the ute secondhand as you see it (I built the drawers). The canopy is a Rosco's Trademate. They have an option of underneath drawer between the rear lights, about 2100 long.

You might want to sit down when you get a quote from them (and similar canopies). I would expect this one to cost about $13,000. This is a full canopy with side rails. They also do a universal box that just bolts to your existing try, a bit cheaper too.

My previous ute had a similar canopy (Bull Motor Bodies), again I bought it secondhand. The previous owner got the canopy installed and I have the receipt - $13,875 incGST - and that was in 2007!!! The standard box is about $8k then the options just add up. 3.9m roof rack, interior light, rubber mat, 3-tier shelving, rear door, bi-fold driver door, central locking, rear folding workbench, folding vice etc etc...

I recently got an email from Bosston Auto Bodies, they are doing a special deal on "sparky" canopies with racks/shelves etc. Need to contact them for price, may be worth the call?

Another reason I like the ute is safety. I was in a serious head-on accident in my 4x4 a few years ago and the front end was pulverised. If there was no bonnet or engine I'm sure I would have been a goner. New short bonneted vans seem to have pretty good crash ratings, don't get an Express van if you are concerned about safety hahaha
Thank you jstanovic. I used to drive an express and was then given a mazda 1800 for the guy I used to work for. He constantly harped on about how good they are. I am glad I had a company car, but I would rather the employer also think of my safety too. It doesn't have to be anything crash hot, good enough to do the job and protect me for what is around the corner.

I will try spend a good chunk of tomorrow roaming the car yards take a few cars for a drive and see what sits best with me. Still in the air about ute or van. I could get a tradie's trailer as suggested by crazy dazz. It won't live at home, as I am trying set an area up for my future toys and all work material.

It is also a matter of getting a job to get the ball rolling so I can feel confident in spending the money and trying to start a business slowly. The money is all there waiting to go, just prefer to always have extra sitting on the mortgage.